Reality Shows

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Reality Shows

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 31st 2004, 2:34 pm

I hate reality shows. They are so worthless. I dont beleive any of them shows like Joe Millionaire or Average Joe. It couldnt possibly be real. I will never waste my time watching these stupid shows. Does anyone agree that Reality shows SUCK??

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 31st 2004, 4:44 pm

I completely agree. It's such a waste of time and reality programming pushes more and more scripted programming out of the schedules. The network which airs "Big Brother" here in Germany just announced that they will start a never-ending version of "Big Brother" next year. They are going to build a special house (near an amusement parc) and people can live there (monitored by cameras of course) as long as they want -- even for years -- until they get kicked out by the viewers vote or the ratings drop. "EDtv" becomes reality.

To quote "Daria": "It's a sick, sad world".

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 31st 2004, 5:04 pm

so will it be like the other Big Brother where the people can't leave the house until voted off? why would you want to do that indefinitely?! that sounds more like torture than television.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 1st 2004, 4:47 am

emmie wrote:so will it be like the other Big Brother where the people can't leave the house until voted off? why would you want to do that indefinitely?! that sounds more like torture than television.
Well, to us it sounds like torture, but the network is still being flooded with requests to participate on that show. And the general trend in reality tv is: The more torture, the better. You probably have to be really extroverted - on the currently airing season there's a guy who already had sex with three different female roommates on the show.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 1st 2004, 10:38 am

Sascha (sab) wrote: on the currently airing season there's a guy who already had sex with three different female roommates on the show.
:D Well done.

I don't care for most reality TV. Big Brother or any of the cheesey marriage shows bore me. Reality shows I will watch are Survivor, The Apprentice, Joe Smoe, and original and still the best, The Real World.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Sep 16th 2004, 3:12 am

Putting my 2¢ in late.

Nothing real about reality shows. The only one i can stand to watch (if it isn't too often) is Fear Factor.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 20th 2004, 12:57 am

Loathe them with a passion. I do admit to watching the Joe Schmo Show (loved season 1, gave up on S2), but that's not truly a "reality" show.

I do love a good documentary though, even if it is on TV.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Sep 20th 2004, 10:24 am

"Eventually everyone will be famous for 154 min."
( paraphrased) ANDY WARHOL.

Hey I just rewatched "requime for a dream" (It's taken me about a year to be able to watch it again.) this weekend. The whole addicted to TV, wanting to be on TV, giving up reality for the drug of TV is one of the major plot threads.

I'm not a fan of reality TV. I have gottne hooked into watching some of them, but it's more like not being able to turn away from a car crash. The DH and I refer to them as Unreality TV. I like the surreal world.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 20th 2004, 2:06 pm

In general, I really dislike the reality genre. I loved the first season of the Real World, but now it's just a cliche-a-thon. There have been a few shows I enjoyed, but that was due mostly to my geeky musical interests. I was in choir and dance, so I love anything involving singing and dancing - even shows like American Idol and Fame. I know they are awful, but I still watch. I also enjoyed Temptation Island only because the couples were just gluttons for punishment. The hypocrisy was hilarious. As a blanket statement, however, I do wish reality programming would end.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Sep 25th 2004, 3:17 pm

It's quite funny how virtually everybody ever asked says: Reality shows suck but i watch x, y, and z.

:lol:
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 25th 2004, 5:21 pm

I don't think reality tv, as a genre, is guaranteed to be awful. I used to really like the Real World and Road Rules. The problem is that tv execs see reality as a fast buck and they are going the route of sitcoms - same old crap. The difference is that reality shows are relatively inexpensive to produce and an entire season can be filmed in a few weeks, so there are too many reality shows that are the same. Then we get people like Fox who try to branch out a little and go into absurdity (the dating show with the midget, for example). On top of that, the casting is so formulaic. For example, the Real World has the naive Southern person, the angry ethnic person, the slutty person who wants to hook up with someone in the house the first day and then keeps trying all season, the short tempered person who will start fights, etc. The show is now a caricature of itself. I'm sure there are some good reality shows out there, but I am tired of them. I loved the Amazing Race the first season, but I haven't watched it since. I can't really blame people for watching one or two since they are on every night of the week. It would be like going to the beach and trying not to see any skin - it's possible, but you have to make a very concerted effort to avert your eyes the whole time.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

frozen embryos
Nicky Driscoll

Post by frozen embryos » Sep 25th 2004, 9:29 pm

So-Called Loon wrote:Putting my 2¢ in late.

Nothing real about reality shows. The only one i can stand to watch (if it isn't too often) is Fear Factor.
i actually think fear factor is one of the worse, then again i'd rather watch that then "who wants to marry my dad" or whatever, i did watch extreme house make overs once, and something like trading spaces i can stand, but anything that has to do with hooking up for love or money, i cant deal with, i'll stick with my dramas or soap opera :oops: