Mystic River

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Mystic River

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 27th 2003, 2:01 pm

My mom, one of my sisters, and I saw Mystic River this past weekend. This is a very good movie. The ending is a surprise, but you can see later how the dots are connected. Clint Eastwood directs. Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne, who has the goods, star. Go see it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Oct 27th 2003, 8:48 pm

This movie has 121 fresh reviews out of 151 on rottentomatoes.com. It is definately the next movie I am going to see in the theatre. If it were up to my husband we would have seen it last time, but I won over with Lost in Translation.
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 24th 2004, 2:17 pm

Since I have nobody to go to the movies with I won't see this at the theatre, but I definitely WILL see it when it is available at Blockbuster. Really looking forward to this as I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 13th 2004, 7:54 pm

I read this book a few years ago and wasn't impressed, and I wasn't interested in seeing the movie when I heard it was coming out. However, I have heard good things about the acting and directing of the movie, so I want to see it. Hopefully I'll like the movie better than the book.

Anyone else read the book by Dennis Lehane?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 29th 2004, 2:19 pm

I finally saw this last weekend and there was some very good acting here. The movie as a whole was pretty good, a little slow in spots but I did like it. More later.....
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 29th 2004, 2:56 pm

I loved the movie. I thought the acting and directing were amazing. I had hoped they would have developed the women characters a bit more (Laura Linney for example). In the book Lehane builds her up better so her big speech at the end of the movie doesn't feel suite so out of place. I have a feeling that a lot of her scenes probably ended up on the cutting room floor.

I would like to re-read the book again, as the ending of the movie left me wondering a few things. Namely:

[spoiler]Why didn't Kevin Bacon's character arrest Jimmy (Sean Penn)? I am sure that he knew that he killed Tim Robbins character. I heard it was due to the murder not happening in his jurisdiction? So I am wondering if the hand-gun motion Bacon did to Penn at the parade meant that he had his eye on him and was looking to convict him once he was able? I really need to read the book to refresh my memory on how Lehane wrote it. [/spoiler]
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 29th 2004, 11:01 pm

Mystic River was a really great movie. I didnt get the chance to see it in the theatre, but I watched it as soon as it came out on Dvd. The ending was suprising. The movie was very well acted!

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 31st 2004, 5:56 am

Megs, I wondered the same as you about the end, and Kevin Bacon's motivations. It certainly seemed to me that the women had a lot more to give in terms of character...

plus, [spoiler] that hand-movement thing at the end was odd. I just couldn't tell what that was meant to signify [/spoiler]

I saw this last night, and now I do want to read the book... I watched the little 'making of' featurette which mainly consisted of clips of the film (I hate it when they do that) and various vacuous comments (I was surprised at Tim Robbins for being so vague) and so didn't clear up anything for me.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 31st 2004, 7:06 am

Lawrence Fishburne was a good touch for this one; it was going to be sad no matter what, but he added enough levity to keep it out of the "Suicidal Masochist Theater" range of sad.

[spoiler]Megs, let us know if the book sheds any light on the "finger-gun" gesture; I am as clueless as the rest of you...[/spoiler]
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain