OT: What other shows... on DVD

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Re: OT: What other shows... on DVD

Post by K-man » Jul 8th 2002, 9:26 am

hey Bjordan,
No, I actually never caught any of the 'Upright Citizens Brigade' but I do remember seeing some of the commercials and if I recall, it looked funny.

K-man

Re: Mysterious Cities of gold!

Post by Guest » Jul 8th 2002, 11:02 am

Nah I think a few people did write to the BBC about repeating it but they never ever did. It was licensed from a Spanish network I think. Check these 2 sites anyway:

http://www.medvale.demon.co.uk/gold.htm (the guy is offering VCD/divX of the series, I haven't brought it so don't know how good/genuine it is)

http://www.btinternet.com/~mcog/cityofgold.html (general info, kind of a mcog.com as it were)

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Jul 8th 2002, 11:47 am

I was just about to complain about this thred. Discussing so many other series when you should be waiting for MSCL.

But well... I TOO LOVED the Golden City-series!!! This is so cool. Let me know anything you find about it. Thanks for the above links.

/KrokRos

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Re: OT: What other shows... on DVD

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 8th 2002, 9:38 pm

OK, now I'm getting word of mouth requests from friends. I don't recall it myself, but my buddy swears up and down that "Mighty Max" was the greatest cartoon series ever, and he'd pay good money to see it again. Anyone know what he's raving about?

ClarenceWorley
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ClarenceWorley » Jul 8th 2002, 11:10 pm

From what I understand, the series was a joint French - Japanese production.

There are French R2 DVDs of the series, but unfortunately the English dub isn't on
any of these discs.

Clarence Worley

siandam
Jody Barsh

My DVD list

Post by siandam » Jul 9th 2002, 11:07 am

For what its worth, here's my list:

1. Freaks and Geeks
2. Homefront
3. Thirtysomething
4. Popular
5. Sportsnight
6. Relativity
7. IRS The Cutting Edge
8. The Young Ones

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by StrawberryGirl » Jul 9th 2002, 12:39 pm

Yay! I would LOVE Popular! And someone mentioned Party of Five- I would like the first few seasons of that too.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: My DVD list

Post by dTheater » Jul 9th 2002, 10:02 pm

Nostradamus wrote:OK, now I'm getting word of mouth requests from friends. I don't recall it myself, but my buddy swears up and down that "Mighty Max" was the greatest cartoon series ever, and he'd pay good money to see it again. Anyone know what he's raving about?
I used to watch that every Saturday morning at 8:30. Max was a baby that had a robot friend from outer space and some talking stuffed animal, and they went on these adventures. I don't remember the specifics, but it was a pretty typical kids cartoon.
siandam wrote:For what its worth, here's my list:

5. Sportsnight
Sports Night will be out on DVD near the end of the year.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Mysterious Max?

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 10th 2002, 11:03 pm

Thanks for the PM, K-Man. I'm not sure of this newfangled forum either! I looked into "The Maxx", and while it does sound cool, its not what I was referring to. As for D-Theater's recollection of a baby with a robot and a talking stuffed toy, I have no idea, but thanks anyway :roll:
Here's what I do know, mostly from the Internet Movie Database: "Mighty Max" aired in the early 90's; it was a spinoff of a line of miniature toys, or the toys spunoff from it; main characters included a boy with a magic cap, a Viking warrior, and a talking owl or chicken or something; voice talent included Tim Curry and Rene Auberjonois :!:
I do vaguely recall seeing an episode years ago, but I'm still taking his word on the show's greatness (he took my word on MSCL). So there it is; maybe now you guys can figger' it out :wink:

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Mysterious Max?

Post by dTheater » Jul 10th 2002, 11:54 pm

Nostradamus wrote:As for D-Theater's recollection of a baby with a robot and a talking stuffed toy, I have no idea, but thanks anyway
I just realized the show I was thinking of was called "Fantastic Max." That is all.
- Jim

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 2nd 2002, 7:16 pm

I would love Animaniacs on DVD!

:wink:

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

DVDs (only full season sets) I would love to own

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 3rd 2002, 5:33 am

~ La Femme Nikita.
This is at the top of my list because I am so obsessed with this show. Besides, there are numerous extras that could be included in boxed sets of this show.

~ Forever Knight.
While I have been making a home video collection thanks to the Sci Fi Channel reairing the show, it would be great to have the episodes without the commercials.

~ The Pretender.
I've watched the show on TNT in reruns but never bothered to make a home video collection because I'm running out of shelf space. Still, it would be fun to have all the episodes and be able to review the different threads running through the show.

~ Mutant X.
The show's a bit campy but fun, and I love the flash and style of the show, which features 70 percent of the behind-the-scenes crew from my aforementioned favorite LFN.

~ Relativity.
I enjoyed the episodes I did see of this short-lived one, and I know I missed a few so this would be a good one to have.

~ Degrassi Junior High.
I know I haven't seen all of these episodes, but I love the ones I have seen and would love the chance to watch them over and over again.

~ thirtysomething.
ITA with siandam on this one.

~ Bands on the Run.
I initially scoffed at VH1 when it started previewing this show on its channel. Then I caught the show's second episode since it was set in Chicago and I was hooked ever since. I became a huge Flickerstick fan out of the deal and have seen them in concert three times. And I also had a chance to catch Harlow live as well.

~ V: The Series.
I loved the two miniseries installments and never got a chance to see the series in its entiriety because of a horrible Friday night timeslot. I doubt the episodes would be ones I would watch over and over again, but it would be great to have this to complete my V collection.

~ Silk Stalkings.
You're all probably dying laughing right now, but I really did love the Chris and Rita years.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: DVDs (only full season sets) I would love to own

Post by dTheater » Aug 3rd 2002, 2:45 pm

NIGHTJESSI wrote: ~ Silk Stalkings.
You're all probably dying laughing right now...
I know I am. :lol:
- Jim

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Calling dTheater

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 3rd 2002, 8:29 pm

I'm glad I could provide you with a hearty chuckle.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

leerosevere
Overlooked Sibling

Post by leerosevere » Oct 23rd 2002, 2:52 pm

Oh so many shows I want on DVD... Of course MSCL was at the top of my wish-list. :D And Felicity was right up there too - I'm glad it's happening. I just hope they continue to release the other seasons.

1. Jem!
Yes the cartoon from the '80s...stop laughing at me. :) Hey it's a part of my childhood, and the songs were DAMN catchy!

2. Daria
The smartest show MTV's ever done. Sure to be overlooked in favour of Real World and Beavis & Butthead DVDs. Bleh.

3. Family Ties
Please, no crappy "Best of" DVD as seems to be the trend with older series. I want it all!

4. Flash Forward
Don't know if anyone here is familiar with it...only lasted 1 season, Family channel used to air it. Tucker and Becca? The best best-friends-with-potential screen team ever. Not that romance is a main focus on this show...they're kids and all. I guess the best way to sum up the show is: FUN! Jewel Staite, who played Becca, is now in Joss Whedon's Firefly. :)

5. Prey
Another that's not very well known and only lasted 1 season. One of the stars, Debra Messing, is in "Will And Grace"...You'd think with the success of that show, they'd want to release this great sci-fi series.

6. Relativity
As you can see, it is my sad lot in life to keep falling in love with shows that don't last very long.

7. VR.5
See above. Also, Anthony Stewart Head's pretty darn famous due to Buffy, so whyyy don't they release this earlier work of his to cash in?

8. Animaniacs
It was very popular, and a fair number of videos have been released...so where are the DVDs?

9. Tenspeed & Brownshoe
Short-lived detective/comedy series from 1980 starring Jeff Goldblum and Ben Vereen. Never gonna make it to DVD when tons of famous shows don't. Too bad, my who-knows-what-generation tapes are in bad shape.

10. Perfect Strangers
You're laughing at me again, aren't you? :) Yeah maybe a cheesy choice, but it's another nostalgia-thing for me. And it *was* a funny show (especially the first season)

Btw, for those of you who like Are You Afraid Of The Dark (I do, but not quite enough for my top 10 dvd-wish-list) - Family channel airs a couple episodes every day...in case you want to subscribe and tape it, commercial-free! :)