Moonlighting

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Moonlighting

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 29th 2004, 7:32 pm

I have heard the rumors, but it seems that Moonlighting is finally coming to DVD!

From tvshowsondvd:
Not too long ago we passed along word straight from Bruce Willis himself that Moonlighting was returning to DVD, this time in box sets.

Property-owner Buena Vista is releasing it themselves this time, reportedly in season sets. A website that is in-the-the-know about BV's DVD plans, UltimateDisney.com, has this to say today in their new story about several upcoming releases:
The popular hour-long series "Moonlighting" also comes to DVD in a boxset this November. Left with a run-down detective agency and no other options, ex-model Maddie Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) becomes boss. The agency's only detective David Addison (Bruce Willis) is a polar opposite to her. But they might just be the perfect couple.
The other three releases cited in that story are all scheduled for November 30th, so it's probably safe to assume that this is the date for Moonlighting as well.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 23rd 2004, 4:45 am

Although it looked like Moonlighting was going to be released this November, Disney/Buena Vista has removed it from their schedule according to tvshowsondvd.

:cry:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 23rd 2004, 9:54 am

bastards. :cry: :evil:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 31st 2004, 12:21 am

One of my favorite quotes from Moonlighting:
Security Officer: I'm sorry, but you're not on the guest list.

David Addison: That's because we're not guests. We're looking for a man with a mole on his nose.

Security Officer: A mole on his nose?

Maddie Hayes: A mole on his nose.

Security Officer: [to Maddie] What kind of clothes?

Maddie Hayes: [to David] What kind of clothes?

David Addison: What kind of clothes do you suppose?

Security Officer: What kind of clothes do I suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose? Who knows?

David Addison: Did I happen to mention, did I bother to disclose, that this man that we're seeking with the mole on his nose? I'm not sure of his clothes or anything else, except he's Chinese, a big clue by itself.

Maddie Hayes: How do you do that?

David Addison: Gotta read a lot of Dr. Seuss.

Security Officer: I'm sorry to say, I'm sad to report, I haven't seen anyone at all of that sort. Not a man who's Chinese with a mole on his nose with some kind of clothes that you can't suppose. So get away from this door and get out of this place, or I'll have to hurt you -- put my foot in your face.
:mrgreen:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 31st 2004, 9:29 pm

candygirl wrote:Although it looked like Moonlighting was going to be released this November, Disney/Buena Vista has removed it from their schedule according to tvshowsondvd.

D'oh!

I am not certain I'd actually shell out the cash for Moonlighting, especially given all my other DVD buying.

Still I have fond memories of the show. My favorite episode being their Ode to Taming of the Shrew. That was definate :rofl:

-LanceMan

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Sep 12th 2004, 3:57 am

lance wrote:
candygirl wrote:Although it looked like Moonlighting was going to be released this November, Disney/Buena Vista has removed it from their schedule according to tvshowsondvd.

D'oh!

I am not certain I'd actually shell out the cash for Moonlighting, especially given all my other DVD buying.

Still I have fond memories of the show. My favorite episode being their Ode to Taming of the Shrew. That was definate :rofl:

-LanceMan
Yes, that was fantastic! How about their homage to 1940s film noir hosted by Raymond Burr? The Miss Dipesto episode featuring Imogene Coca as her mother. Mystery on the murder train. Maddie being a fan of a not so dead latenight radio host. David, Maddie, and Mark Harmon. *Sigh*
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 22nd 2004, 10:42 pm

Today MSN had an interview with Cybill Shepherd that said, among other things:
The actress said she hoped to make a film version of "Moonlighting," the hit 80s TV show in which she starred opposite Bruce Willis.

The pair fell out while filming the TV show but Shepherd said they are now friends.

"When people get a tremendous amount of success, especially for the first time, it doesn't necessarily bring out the best in them," she said. "We get on fine now. I adore Bruce and we're dying to do a Moonlighting movie."
The article also has an awesome picture of her hair. Seriously.

Meanwhile tvshowsondvd reports the following:
We've been receiving emails from Moonlighting fans telling us that Bruce Willis is letting people know that the show will be released on December 1st. Unfortunately that's not the case. The first hint was that DVDs are released on Tuesdays (99.99% of the time), and December 1st is a Wednesday.

I know that a studio licensed the show from Buena Vista, so I called to find out what was going on (the studio hasn't even announced that they've licensed the show, and I may be getting myself into trouble for making it public).

I was told that the show is tentatively scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2005 (that's May-June), but it may move. Please keep in mind that nothing has been officially announced by the studio yet. The chances are very good that they'll only release the first season, or a combined 1 & 2 set, not the entire series like Mr. Willis commented on. The studio needs to keep the release priced low so retailers will carry it and the casual fan will consider picking it up. While a box set of the entire series (66 episodes, or 67 if you could the pilot as 2) would be nice, the high price would turn people off of it.

Sorry to bring bad news to those of you hoping to see the set for the holidays, but at least you know it's coming.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 2nd 2005, 3:44 am

From tvshowsondvd:
Now we have confirmation of MoonlightingDVD.com's information from a trade magazine source! In an article (registration required) posted yesterday to their online site, Video Business passed on this word:
Lions Gate Home Entertainment...announced that it has acquired rights for DVD releases of popular '80s series Moonlighting, the first two seasons of which it will release in May. Series star Bruce Willis is expected to participate in the DVD extras.

"In the last year, the TV on DVD category grew tremendously. As a result, we're seeing a lot of TV programming being released and it seems like everyone's grabbing for everything," said Steve Beeks, Lions Gate Entertainment president. "[Moonlighting] is an anomaly. This is one of those true gems of the industry."
Continuing further down in the Video Business story, writer Jennifer Netherby fills us in on the backstory of this title's journey to season set DVDs, and assures us that the original music will be intact on this release:
Moonlighting almost didn't make it to disc because of a tangle of music rights issues, series creator Glenn Caron said.

Anchor Bay Entertainment, which first licensed the show from Disney for DVD release, put out the pilot episode and then planned a compilation release featuring shows that included no music, Caron said. Caron declined to take part, calling it "an odd collection" and wanting the show released intact. After Anchor Bay abandoned its release plans, Lions Gate stepped in, acquiring DVD rights for all five seasons of the show.

All original music will be on the first two season releases. Caron and Willis are participating in bonus materials for the DVD, which is just going into production. Caron said he also hopes to get Cybill Shepherd and others from the show to take part.
It's unclear from the above quotes whether Lions Gate will follow Anchor Bay's release pattern for Three's Company, in releasing the short first season (the double-length Moonlighting pilot plus five other episodes) in its own box, or if they will instead combine them with the 18 episodes from the second season into a single box set, a la Warner Brothers' Dallas. Based on how the folks at MoonlilghtingDVD.com talk about it, our guess is "one box for both seasons". Stay tuned, though, and we'll bring you details once Lions Gate makes their formal annoucement!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 5th 2005, 8:27 pm

tvshowsondvd has posted the official Lions Gate press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LIONS GATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT TO DISTRIBUTE ON DVD THE GROUNDBEAKING TELEVISION "DRAMEDY" THAT LAUNCHED BRUCE WILLIS' CAREER

MOONLIGHTING

Highly-Anticipated TV On DVD Release Scheduled To Hit Stores This Spring With Original Episodes From Seasons 1 and 2 In A 6-Disc Set

SANTA MONICA, CA (January 26, 2005) - Lions Gate Home Entertainment, a division of Lions Gate Entertainment (NYSE and TSX: LGF) continues to capitalize on the booming TV-to-DVD market by acquiring the home video distribution rights to the groundbreaking 1980's "dramedy" - Moonlighting. Starring a then-unknown Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd, Moonlighting was one of the highest rated shows on television during its run on ABC from 1985-89. The announcement was made by Steve Beeks, President of Lions Gate Entertainment.

The recipient of six Emmy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards during its impressive run, Moonlighting's importance lies in its ability to successfully fuse the elements of two distinct genres - comedy and drama - into what became known as the "dramedy." The shows incredible innovativeness was recognized when it was nominated, for the first time in the history of the Directors Guild of America, for both Best Comedy and Best Drama.

Launching Willis' career, the upcoming Hollywood superstar was honored with the 1987 Golden Globe for Best Performance By An Actor In A TV-Series - Comedy/Musical and the 1987 Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series for his portrayal of the fast-talking private eye, David Addison. As high-fashion model turned private eye Maddie Hayes, Shepherd won two Golden Globes For Best Performance By An Actress In A TV-Series - Comedy/Musical.

The addition of Moonlighting to Lions Gate's library enhances what is one of the most impressive TV on DVD collections in the industry. Other TV on DVD titles under LGHE's umbrella include: Saturday Night Live, Will & Grace, Late Night With Conan O'Brien/Triumph The Insult Comic Dog, Laurel & Hardy, Little Rascals, The Dead Zone, Alf, Boomtown, Saved By The Bell and Twin Peaks Season One.

"Moonlighting was one of the most popular shows on television during its run and there is an extensive fan base who have been anxiously awaiting its arrival on DVD," said Beeks. "That time has finally arrived and Lions Gate is extremely excited to add this innovative and groundbreaking show to our ever-growing library of TV on DVD product. It is shows like Moonlighting that will continue to keep the category booming for years to come."

Throughout its 65 episodes, the show welcomed an incredible array of regular and special guests including: Whoopi Goldberg, Orson Welles, Imogene Coco, Eva Marie Saint, Demi Moore, Virginia Madsen, Ray Charles, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Cheryl Tiegs and New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms. Also renowned for its outstanding musical composition, art direction, cinematography and costumes, the show won numerous awards in each of these areas including multiple Emmy's.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 2nd 2005, 3:39 pm

The latest, including release date, from tvshowsondvd:
Online retailer DVDPlanet.com has added a pre-order listing for Moonlighting - Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. The listing reveals that the cost of the 6-DVD set will be $49.95 SRP (but of course the e-tailer discounts it; an advance order from them currently goes for just $34.97). They show the release date to be Tuesday, May 31st.

We've recently reported on extras for this release:

* Commentaries from Cast & Crew, including Cybill Shepard, Bruce Willis, and creator Glenn Caron
* Commentary from the President of the Moonlighting Fan Club
* Featurettes, including a spotlight on the show's fans
* Premium Packaging for the DVDs, with what should be 25 hours of episodes from the first two seasons

Also, in a Wired News report posted yesterday that I was heavily quoted in, "Copyrights Keep TV Shows off DVD", reporter Katie Dean confirms a previous report that there are NO music issues with this release: "the first two seasons of the show are scheduled for release...with the music intact, " Dean reports. The same article was accompanied by the first look at the cover art for Moonlighting - Seasons 1 and 2, graciously provided by Lions Gate, and here it is for you to enjoy!
Click here to view cover art!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 12th 2005, 3:45 am

More info about the S1-2 release from tvshowsondvd:
Lions Gate has released final artwork for the box, and disc inserts. The following information is taken from the DVD box:

Relive every sizzling minute as the flames ignite between the sophisticated but icy Maddie Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) and the cocky and crude David Addison (Bruce Willis)! Full of innuendo and foreplay, Moonlighting takes TV dialogue to new heights of sass and sex appeal!

Sparks fly at the Blue Moon Detective Agency when picture-perfect bombshell Maddie Hayes joins the macho, fast-talking gumshoe David Addison to solve mysteries, earn a buck, sing a song or two, and fall in love. Finally on DVD, TV's sexiest private investigators deliver dialogue, chockful of one-liners, triple-entendres and foreplay, to your home.

Not Just a Day Job, The Story of Moonlighting, Part 1
A half-hour, in-depth look at the creative arc of Season One of the show, featuring exclusive interviews with creators, cast and crew.

Inside the Blue Moon Detective Agency, The Story of Moonlighting, Part 2
Part 2 focuses in-depth on Season Two. Learn the amazing stories behind the creation of Episodes 6-23, including the story of how they got Orson Welles to record an introduction to the show that aired just days before his death; the appearances of other guest stars, such as Whoopi Goldberg; and the critical acclaim garnered by the show.

The Moonlighting Phenomenon
A look at how the show went from a small success to a worldwide cultural phenomenon, not just when it aired, but also in its afterlife among the fans.

Select Episode Commentaries
Moonlighting creator Glenn Gordon Caron, Cybill Shepherd, Bruce Willis and many more.
To view the box art and inserts, click here.