DVD commentaries

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jan 18th 2004, 4:06 pm

dTheater wrote:The Simpson's commentaries are all good (when they're not giving themselves credit for coming up with every good idea ever or when Julie Kavner's not talking).
sirhansirhan wrote: despite being a huge Simpsons fan, I've never listened to any of the commentaries for even a single episode, because, until now, I've never heard anything about them except for how boring they are. I don't know. Aside from that, the urge to listen to one has just never really struck me all that hard. If I see a movie I like I usually want to know as much as I can about it, but when I see the Simpsons, I would much rather watch the show again than listen to some people ramble on about it. I don't know what the difference is, but it's there.
I've loved the Simpsons commentaries! If you've never had the urge to watch them then you probably wouldn't enjoy them as much as I did. I think the only commentary I've liked more was on the Clerks the Animated Series dvd. The Simpsons commentaries are great because these are people who have been working together on comedy for years and have a great dynamic. With the exception of Julie Kavner who seemed out of it and entirely unfamilar with the series. I think she's great but I'd rather she not be featured on future commentaries, judging by how uncomfortable she seemed I think she'd prefer that as well.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 15th 2004, 2:25 pm

Jim Sheridan's commentary on In America is wonderful. As the film is based on his life, he does spend a lot of the time telling the true stories behind the scenes, but also moves beyond the film itself into lovely contemplations of rememory (as Toni Morrison would call it). Sheridan moves from the world of his film to Shakespeare, Van Gogh, Joyce, and the culture of mourning, in a somewhat Joyce-like stream of consciousness journey through his filmmaking and own mourning. (Granted though that all commentaries are given to having some stream of consciouness moments). The film, which maintains a slight magical realism to it, is beautiful, intense, naive, and brings to mind for me books like Beloved, and World According to Garp; while Sheridan's commentary made me think of Stevenson's essay "Hunger" (which appeared in the March issue of Harper's), as well on course readings on vampires and trauma, as well as childhood and death and dying. Anyway, I love this film, with commentary and without. Samantha Morton, Djimon Hounsou, and the little girls Emma and Sarah Bolger are amazing.
Go love this film.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

commentary

Post by lance » May 27th 2004, 9:06 pm

'Been listening to the commentary on the extended edtion of Underworld.

Very funny. Nice stories from Scott Speedman, Kate Beckinsale and Len Wiseman. They definately sound like they enjoy working with each other.

-LanceMan

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 4th 2004, 12:50 pm

If you've never heard of the show, ignore this; but the commentary track for the "reveal" episode of the Joe Schmo Show was very, very interesting. It was between one of the creators/producers and "Joe", and they talk a lot of behind-the-scenes and creative details and about what was going on in his head when he realized what was going on. It's good.

On the other side of the spectrum; some of the commentary for season 2 of 24 between Kiefer Sutherland and one of the head writers was one of the worst commentaries I think I've ever heard. I expected to learn something interesting, but Kiefer Sutherland had almost nothing to say and the producer just kept talking to the characters (like, "You liar" and "You're such a bad guy.") It's weird and bad.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 19th 2004, 2:23 am

I don't listen to many commentaries myself. like others have mentioned, most are bad or just annoying. but I have to say that I absolutely loved the commentaries of Joss Whedon for Buffy. he tells you exactly what you want to hear. or at least what I want to hear about how he came up with certain ideas, or anecdotes from the set. plus these commentaries just further prove that he is creative genius, hilarious, and a cool down to earth guy. I also really like William Goldman's commentary for the Princess Bride for the same reasons.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 19th 2004, 2:31 am

I enjoy the Sex and the City commentaries.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 19th 2004, 3:53 am

emmie wrote:I don't listen to many commentaries myself. like others have mentioned, most are bad or just annoying. but I have to say that I absolutely loved the commentaries of Joss Whedon for Buffy. he tells you exactly what you want to hear. or at least what I want to hear about how he came up with certain ideas, or anecdotes from the set. plus these commentaries just further prove that he is creative genius, hilarious, and a cool down to earth guy. I also really like William Goldman's commentary for the Princess Bride for the same reasons.
I like Joss Whedon's commentaries too. They are very informative AND funny! Unfortunately, not all of the other Buffy contributors provide such interesting commentary. I haven't watched William Goldman's Princess Bride commentary yet, but maybe the next time I pop it in the DVD player I will remember to turn on that option.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 19th 2004, 2:55 pm

candygirl wrote:I like Joss Whedon's commentaries too. They are very informative AND funny! Unfortunately, not all of the other Buffy contributors provide such interesting commentary. I haven't watched William Goldman's Princess Bride commentary yet, but maybe the next time I pop it in the DVD player I will remember to turn on that option.
yeah, I think I have listened to one other writer commentary from Buffy. and it was the most boring thing! the whole, "and this is when..."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2004, 1:02 am

I honestly can't remember which writer it was, but I know exactly what you are talking about. As I was listening to the commentary, I thought how can these people write such brilliant, funny scripts but have nothing interesting to say now?

One of the great commentaries is Wild at Heart with Seth Green, Marti Noxon, and Joss Whedon. Not much to do with the episode, but hilarious.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 20th 2004, 5:39 pm

candygirl wrote:One of the great commentaries is Wild at Heart with Seth Green, Marti Noxon, and Joss Whedon. Not much to do with the episode, but hilarious.
yeah, yeah, I've listened to that one! Seth Green is so freaking funny! I wish he had done more commentaries. do you know of any other Buffy eps that have any of the actors' commentary? I have all the DVDs so far, but haven't had a chance to listen to many.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2004, 6:47 pm

There are only two other Buffy episodes with cast commentaries, but they are both on the S7 set which will not be released in R1 until November:

Conversations with Dead People - Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Nick Marck, Tom Lenk, and Danny Strong

Lies My Parents Told Me - James Marsters, Drew Goddard, DB Woodside & David Fury

These are all the BtVS eps with commentaries:
S1
Welcome to the Hellmouth - Joss Whedon
The Harvest - Joss Whedon

S2
Reptile Boy - David Greenwalt
What's My Line - Marti Noxon
Innocence - Joss Whedon

S3
Helpless - David Fury
Bad Girls - Doug Petrie
Consequences - Michael Gershwan
Earshot - Jane Espenson

S4
The Initiative - Doug Petrie
Hush - Joss Whedon
This Year’s Girl - Doug Petrie
Superstar - Jane Espenson
Primeval - David Fury and James A. Contner
Restless - Joss Whedon
Wild At Heart - Joss Whedon, Seth Green, and Marti Noxon

S5
The Real Me - David Fury and David Grossman
Fool for Love - Doug Petrie
I Was Made to Love You - Jane Espenson
The Body - Joss Whedon

S6
Bargaining - David Fury and Marti Noxon
Once More With Feeling - Joss Whedon
Smashed - Drew Z Greenberg
Hell's Bells - David Solomon and Rebecca Rand Kirshner
Normal Again - Rick Rosenthal and Diego Gutierrez
Grave - James Contner and David Fury

S7
Lessons - Joss Whedon and David Solomon
Selfless - Drew Goddard and David Solomon
Conversations with Dead People - Nick Marck, Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Danny Strong, and Tom Lenk
The Killer in Me - David Solomon and Drew Z. Greenberg
Lies My Parents Told Me - David Fury, Drew Goddard, James Marsters, and D.B. Woodside
Dirty Girls - Drew Goddard and Nicholas Brendon
Chosen - Joss Whedon
For some reason, even though Angel is a more recent show, they didn't have much by way of commentaries the first few seasons, but they really made up for it in S4! Hopefully S5 will follow with a good number of cast commentaries too.
S1
City Of - Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt
Rm W/A Vu - writer Jane Espenson

S2
Are You Now or Have You Ever Been - Tim Minear
Over the Rainbow - Fred Keller

S3
Billy - Tim Minear and Jeffrey Bell
Lullaby - Tim Minear and Mere Smith
Waiting in the Wings - Joss Whedon

S4
The House Always Wins - David Fury and Andy Hallett
Spin The Bottle - Joss Whedon and Alexis Denisof
Apocalypse, Nowish - Vern Gillum and Steven S. Deknight
Orpheus - Terrence O’Hara and Jeffrey Bell
Inside Out - Steven S. Deknight
The Magic Bullet - Jeffrey Bell
Home - Tim Minear
Firefly has a fair amount of cast commentaries:
Serenity - Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion
Train Job - Joss Whedon and Tim Minear
Shindig - Jane Espenson, Shawna Tipcic, and Morena Baccarin
Out Of Gas - Tim Minear and David Solomon
War Stories - Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk
The Message - Alan Tudyk and Jewel Staite
Objects In Space - Joss Whedon

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 21st 2004, 6:55 pm

wow! I'm impressed, you really do have OCD! j/k. but seriously, thanks for listing all of those. I wish the DVDs would do a simple list like that. I'll have to listen to a few more. and I can't wait to hear the ones with Danny Strong, Tom Lenk and James Marsters. I can imagine those to be pretty funny!

my fav commentary so far is Once More With Feeling with Joss. I love how he explains everything about each scene. I had no idea that he was such a musical fan. but you can tell that he really knows the genre. plus the behind the scenes footage was great too. I was totally blown away when I found out that he wrote all the lyrics and music. talent, talent, talent.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 21st 2004, 9:23 pm

I'd always had a feeling that Joss liked musicals because there were a lot of references even in the early seasons (The Sound of Music in The Dark Age and Beauty and the Beasts, Stowaway in Innocence, Porgy & Bess in Faith, Hope, and Trick, The Rocky Horror Picture Show in Band Candy, Mary Poppins in Revelations, Song of the South in Consequences, The Wizard of Oz in The Yoko Factor and No Place Like Home).

I read a transcript of the LMPTM and it was pretty funny. I'll see if I can find a link.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 21st 2004, 9:33 pm

emmie wrote:wow! I'm impressed, you really do have OCD!
I like to refer to it as "research"! Thankfully, most Buffy fans are just as obsessed as I am, and I know where to look so I just had to copy and paste the info.

You can read a transcript of the LMPTM commentary here. You can also read the Chosen commentary here.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

B5

Post by lance » Aug 22nd 2004, 4:31 pm

Hello all,

I have been listening to the commentary on Babylon 5's "The Gathering" done by J Michael Straczynski. Most of Straczynski's B5 commentaries are fun to listen to.

A good mix of information, humor (sometimes self deprecating) and insight on what his vision was versus the reality of filming. His commentaries definately clear up some of the murky plot points from the series.

-LanceMan