Fantasy vs. reality

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 17th 2004, 6:11 pm

Nothingman wrote:You marry your highschool or college sweetheart and live happily ever after. Idealy they are your one and only sexual partner and you get married when you graduate college, and look forward to your 50th wedding anniversary.
You just described my marriage to a T. College sweetheart, only sexual partner, married a year after college, very much looking forward to our 50th anniversary, both from a small town. No white picket fence yet, though. There is no doubt in my mind that I would make the same decision no matter what the "context". And this relationship has been no fantasy, it has been work all the way, and it has been worth it all the way.

This reminds me of a quote from Inventing the Abbotts. The mother says that there are two types of love. The kind where you love someone if the situation is right, and the other is when you love someone no matter what. She says the best kind of love is the "no matter what" kind. And I agree. And that's what I have. :D

I think we should disregard candygirl's post b/c she quoted a Maroon 5 song to cement a point. Who's with me? :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 17th 2004, 6:12 pm

candygirl wrote: I think I have seen some fairy tails at, uhhh, adult fantasy sites.

:shock:
:wink:
:lol:
Dirty! :mrgreen:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 17th 2004, 6:39 pm

Nothingman wrote:You marry your highschool or college sweetheart and live happily ever after. Idealy they are your one and only sexual partner and you get married when you graduate college, and look forward to your 50th wedding anniversary.
Well you have the house now, so is there something else we should know?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 17th 2004, 10:47 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
Well you have the house now, so is there something else we should know?
Nope, it's in my name only and will stay that way. No wife, and no kid on the way. Besides my fence is stained. :wink:
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 17th 2004, 11:13 pm

Nothingman wrote:Besides my fence is stained. :wink:
Look at you, living on the edge!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 17th 2004, 11:15 pm

Hmm, fences as Jungian personality archetypes, fascinating. I prefer split-rail, what does that say?

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 17th 2004, 11:16 pm

Megs wrote:I think we should disregard candygirl's post b/c she quoted a Maroon 5 song to cement a point. Who's with me? :wink:
HEY!

:evil:

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 17th 2004, 11:17 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Hmm, fences as Jungian personality archetypes, fascinating. I prefer split-rail, what does that say?

:shock:

Wow, you seem so much more complex and attractive now.

:mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 17th 2004, 11:22 pm

Man, I gotta spike the punch more often!

:thumpup:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 17th 2004, 11:23 pm

Between your fence choice and that sensitive avatar, I don't need no stinkin' punch!

:D

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 19th 2004, 1:16 am

from Dancing in the Dark:
Angela: Dad ! It's...they're not....people just hang out. They're not
...it's not, dates. Just people. Together. In a bunch.
Graham : So, was there there someone else there you like?
AngelaVO: It's so strange how parents can out of nowhere turn psychic.
It's unnerving.
Graham : It's ok to like someone, but I mean, boys your age, can sometimes...
Angela : Dad, I know. Can sometimes what?
Graham : Can sometimes not know how to be what you want them to be. My
point is that, it's really hard to figure out how to be a man.
Practically every man I know is still working on it.
I think this sort of fits in with the reality vs. fantasy. both Angela and Jordan are young and inexperienced. (in Jordan's case I mean that he is inexperienced with relationships, not necessarily with sex.) for young people, and even older people, it's hard to know what you want. you want the fantasy of the prince saving the beautiful maiden/princess. and obviously Jordan has expectations that Angela isn't ready to meet. but this isn't realistic for a normal human being to be able to achieve. what I'm trying to say is that for their age though, they can't be blamed. Jordan can't possibly be expected to be a prince at 17, or however old he is. and I think it is great that Angela's fantasy isn't burst until she is 15. it's amazing in this day and age that such fantasies last so long. her optimism and naiveity (sp?) make her who she is, and I love her for it.