Did your life change because of MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Poll ended at Jan 31st 2004, 1:46 pm

Yes
64%
No
29%
It might have, but I'm not sure
7%

Total votes: 14

puhkin
Frozen Embryo

Post by puhkin » Jan 16th 2004, 1:46 pm

Almost the entire audience that saw MSCL was around the age of 15-19years old. Angela was a mirror image of themselves, did your life change because of this series? Mine, well lets just say I started to question more than usual and fell in love with the crush i couldn't have. And yes, my life did change I'd say. Yet I'll never know if it did. :?:
RMartell
832-687-5762

Dave Reed
Jody Barsh

Post by Dave Reed » Jan 16th 2004, 3:56 pm

I didn't realize I'd be the first to vote.

I can't say it changed my life at all. I really enjoyed the show, was very upset when it was cancelled, but it wasn't anything earth-shattering with respect to my perception of my life.
"Where it's not just a way of life but a toxic adventure & 60's-style love-in"

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 16th 2004, 10:54 pm

Yeah, MSCL was, and is, a great series, but I think I enjoyed it more because I was already in a (roughly) similar mindset than because it radically shifted said mindset. Still, I like to think I'm an adaptable person, so I suppose it's not far-fetched to say it had some influence.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 17th 2004, 7:19 pm

I think it changed my life. I could see myself in the show. But, of course, I had already grown up when it aired. The show made me think of myself as someone not so different from everybody else.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 17th 2004, 9:05 pm

The show didn't change my life. It just validated how I already felt.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 18th 2004, 1:33 am

yes, I'd have to say that MSCL changed my life. I too, was 15 when the show first aired and I completely related to Angela's character. my life had sort of shifted and I began to hang out with new people. but I still felt like I couldn't really relate to my new friends. and then came MSCL. finally there was a show with a confused young woman as the lead. and I had someone to relate to. the show definitely changed my perspective on my friends and myself. it came at the perfect time.

emmie

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Jan 18th 2004, 9:13 pm

Almost the entire audience that saw MSCL was around the age of 15-19years old
Is that really true?? Wow--I feel old!

Anyway-- I don't think it changed anything for me, I just could see that it was a really great show, and when I watched it, I felt like I was watching someones real life. I remember feeling those things, and acting that way. It was just such a realistic portrayal of high school life. It took me back -- so to say.

The doctor I work for has been hearing all of us gals talking about the show (I have shared me DVD set with all of them), and now he is watching them. He's 53, and he came in last week and was like--Wow--why did I never hear of this show!! Even for him, it feels real!! I think it's cool :lol:
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jan 20th 2004, 8:20 pm

I don't agree with those demographics either, necessarily. I'm 39, the friend who introduced me to the show is 36 (now, of course).

The Producer (I forget which one) described the show as being about teens, for adults.

Anthony
Frozen Embryo

Post by Anthony » Mar 16th 2004, 4:49 pm

Hi,

I'm new here, just discovered the site yesterday.

Yes, the show definitely affected my life. First of all it made me wish I was an American, secondly it made me wish I had intelligent caring parents unlike the battle-axe and barbarian I did have, and thirdly it made me attempt to stop being pathetic and be more 'cool' like Jordon!

I was 15 when it was shown here in England, and seeing this site has brought a lot back. My school was nothing like Liberty — you had to wear uniforms, and the kids were, by comparison, very unsophisticated and immature. Apart from being generally grim and boring, my school days were all about pranks, fighting, and running around like an 8 year old trying to be as childish, annoying, or as much of a hooligan as possible! As you can imagine, this made me envious when watching MSCL, and the show definitely influenced me to grow up a bit. I started thinking more, went more inside my self, romanticized about finding a sophisticated girl, and I even grew my hair and changed my fashion!

I almost can't believe it is 10 years since it was made. When I first came upon the site yesterday I actually felt very overwhelmed by sadness, frustration, and loneliness, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it might have been some sort of reaction to time itself and the fact that it has passed so quickly, perhaps that the show was so short-lived and is kind of stuck in limbo in 1995, or maybe even that my own life has been such a car crash compared to how I imagine the characters in MSCL must have ended up. Very weird and hard to explain and it probably sounds pathetic, but I wonder if anyone else can relate.

Anyhow, I shan't bore you with any more narcissism. Nice to be here and nice to read everyone's comments!

Anthony

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Apr 15th 2004, 12:53 am

MSCL changed my life completely. Not only did the show itself effect me as a teenager, but it led me to this site and the mailing list where I met my husband and some very dear friends. The show, and the relationships I came to have because of it, transformed my personality and life. More details here. The show literally saved my life.
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut

_RED_
Tino

Post by _RED_ » Jun 14th 2004, 8:35 pm

my life changed....and so did my hair...lol
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would have recieved instructions on where to go and what to do.
~*~*Red*~*~

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 16th 2004, 11:09 am

I don't know I could say it totally changed my life but I do know I am on the lookout for good TV shows a lot more than I ever was before I started watching Life. I would definitely say MSCL had an effect on my life. Just as MSCL.com and all it's wonderful members have had an effect on my life.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 16th 2004, 11:34 am

K-man wrote:Just as MSCL.com and all it's wonderful members have had an effect on my life.
Aw, *sniff* that's beautiful... group hug!

:D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 16th 2004, 12:34 am

I'd have to say it changed my life a bit. Not only can I relate to the show, Its kind of how I wanted my highschool life to be!

It did change my hair style and my hair color...LOL

Now that I really love this show, Im always on ebay trying to buy My so called life items and watching the show alot. Also Im on here alot wanting to talk to fellow "my so-called life fans"!!