NO L.O.V.E <3

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 11th 2004, 8:47 am

I do think that Angela and Jordan would be together again but I'm not sure I agree that she would "end up with Jorda in the end". I guess it depends on what you mean about "the end". If you mean at the end of the conflict over sleeping with Rayanne then sure, I agree. I definitely think they would have continued a relationship but I think it would have failed at the latest by the end of high school though possibly much sooner. If the series had lasted more than 3 seasons I don't think J and A would have been a couple at the end of it, less than 3 seasons and they probably would have been together or in some ambiguous situation like at the end of In Dreams.... I think that if the show had lasted past season 3 A and J would be heading in different directions and a lot of Anglea's growth and development would be accepting that though her and JC love each other their lives are going to be different and they won't make the best partners. I don't say this because of the actual content of the show (not so much anyway) but just because as you say the show was realistic and in reality most high school couples don't last after graduation. If it was less than 3 season I think they would have had them basically together just to please the fans and because it would probably be true to the position the characters were in.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 11th 2004, 12:23 pm

grim4746 wrote:Yeah I definitely don't think Sharon gave a second thought to how Brian's feelings for Angela would interfere with something between him and Delia. Possibly she is trying to snap him out of his obsession or perhaps she sees him as a geeky charity case who needs a girlfriend and clearly needs help. I'm not sure that she's wrong. I've always thought Sharon had some interest in hooking Brian up with someone. She seemed to be pushing for him and Gina (" I heard you like, chased the gunmen") to get togther too. I think Sharon's intentions concering Brian are pure enough. As for who she could ask, she could have talked to Rayanne, they had apparently discussed Brian's feelings for Angela before. i doubt it would have been a very fruitful conversation though.
Perhaps she asked about Rickie specifically because of her bad call with Brian/Delia. Her intentions were good in both cases, but in the latter she had learned a degree of caution.
I disagree. I think that if Angela does have feelings of friendship for brian then she needs to make it clear what her feelings are and that nothing romantic would happen between them. Basically Angela found out that Brian was in love with her, that's a pretty big deal even though she doesn't feel the same way and it definitely warrants some honest direct discussion. For the entire series Angela has been willfully ignorant of Brian's feelings and it's resulted in increasing obsession, her taking advantage and the two of them having conflict. It would be best for them both if she would just clearly state her position. I realize that Brian hasn't been completely clear either but I think it would be easier for Angela to state that she's never going to love him like that than it would be for him to say that he loves her.
Amen! (But I suppose honest direct discussion doesn't make for good drama, so poor Brian is screwed like a taxpayer...)

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Aug 12th 2004, 5:14 pm

After the early episodes when she was trying to create a different version of herself to be more appealing to Jordan, Angela has pretty much been herself around him, including her babbling and personal emotions. I don't think that will necessarily happen, but I don't think Jordan is going to suddenly discover all these new things about Angela to make him like her more.
I didn't say that he would discover all these new things about her, and I have to admit ,I don't really see your logic.By the end of the show he already likes her a lot BECAUSE (not DESPITE) he's slowly getting to know her and I think he likes what he sees.He knows her good sides as well as the bad sides.

But it is always possible that he will like her less the closer they get.
I think we, as the audience also got to know Angela enough to conclude that she is a delightful person, even her flaws are appealing.I think you'd have to be pretty dumb not to like her.Oh wait, maybe you're right , maybe Jordan wouldn't like her after all.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 13th 2004, 10:24 am

I think Jordon likes the depth at which Angela knows him as much as he likes what he knows about her. The point being that Jordon isn't one to let his guard down and be seen as vulnerable. I think he likes the fact that he can do that with Angela, and that is one of the things he misses when they break up. Though she still consoles him in that way to some degree when they are "just friends". When you are not truely comfortable with yourself, as just about every teenager isn't, it's very easy to become dependent on another person that you can be unreserved around. It's like your own little "shelter from the storm".
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Aug 13th 2004, 4:25 pm

I think Jordon likes the depth at which Angela knows him as much as he likes what he knows about her. The point being that Jordon isn't one to let his guard down and be seen as vulnerable. I think he likes the fact that he can do that with Angela, and that is one of the things he misses when they break up.
So, basically what you're saying is that he likes the fact that he can manipulate her and make her feel vulnerable and now that he can't do that to her anymore he wants her back so that he can make her feel like crap all over again, right?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 13th 2004, 4:47 pm

Taylor wrote:So, basically what you're saying is that he likes the fact that he can manipulate her and make her feel vulnerable and now that he can't do that to her anymore he wants her back so that he can make her feel like crap all over again, right?
Actually, that is not my point at all. Jordon doesn't let his guard down for anyone. I'd even go so far as to say, not even to his family, judging on the way he references his abusive father in "Resolutions". I think Angela may be the only one, or at least one of the few who has been able to break through to him and allow him to be vulnerable, e.i. his reading problem. That vulnerability spawned a kind of intimacy I don't think he had experienced before. I think that is what he misses when there are no longer together.

As far as your reference to him wanting her back because he can't manipulate her, I think there is some basis there. We often pursue the challenge, and when it's gone, we become bored with that person. When the challenge is reniewed, often so is our interest. I don't think that that plays a large role with Jordon and Angela though, I think the interest is more genuine. But it is an interesting point. I would say that Jordon is more of a challenge and a prize for Angela than she is for him, at least in the beginning. Jordon is the dreamy bad boy, Angela is just that weird girl that's always with Rayanne. Socially, the reward for dating Jordon is higher. However, it's not always about the social heirarchy, often times we find people uniquely engaging in way that others do not.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

igor
Tino

Post by igor » Aug 13th 2004, 5:39 pm

Socially, the reward for dating Jordon is higher. However, it's not always about the social heirarchy, often times we find people uniquely engaging in way that others do not.
that's a nice statement and a truthful one when it comes to Jordan and Angela and Jordan has really started to realize that at the end of the show and yes I think he really likes her and wouldlike her even more

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 15th 2004, 5:36 am

Nothingman wrote:It's like your own little "shelter from the storm".
Strange that you said that -- I included that song in one of my fanfics.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !