how old are the fans? (aka am I the oldest one?)

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
amber

wow...

Post by amber » Jul 15th 2004, 2:07 pm

I've been in love with this show since it first came on.... i didn't realize until just now that it's been 10 years. Sheesh... i feel old. I was 14 when the show first came on, and i didn't realize how fast those years went! The nice thing about having this incredible show on at that time was that i felt everything the characters were feeling... and this was exactly what i think my friends and i needed. I remember running through my mom's house to grab the phone and call my best friend at the time to talk about the show during commercials. :) That sounds kinda sad now, but we lived for Thursday nights! I still dust off my tapes of the show and will eventually get the DVD set, but it's so good to go back and watch those episodes again.. Jared Leto was the hottest thing i'd ever seen then and still ranks pretty high up there now! "I love how he leans..." Anyway, i think this is one of those shows that people will watch and study for years and years and years becuase it does touch on things that every single one of us feels and goes through during the hell that is high school. I'm so glad that Noggin has brought it back for more people to watch. :) Thanks!

Switchfoot's gal 101
Tino

Post by Switchfoot's gal 101 » Jul 21st 2004, 10:09 pm

and will eventually get the DVD set
I bought the DVD box set
How much is the DVD box set??????
Angela (in her head): Field trips are so intense. It's like everybody's been let out of their cages, or something. And we're all roaming around...loose.
"You're so beautiful, It HURTS to look at you"

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 22nd 2004, 10:56 am

I'm 25. I started watching this show when I was a sophmore in high school when it aired on MTV. I could relate to Angela so much. Heck I can still relate to Angela in some ways.

Firekeeper
Tino

Post by Firekeeper » Jul 22nd 2004, 6:36 pm

Switchfoot's gal 101 wrote:
and will eventually get the DVD set
I bought the DVD box set
How much is the DVD box set??????
about $90; my dad paid half and I paid half.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 22nd 2004, 9:05 pm

I've heard that most retailers in the US aren't seeling it anymore but it might be worth checking out. I know here Walmart has been selling them for $75.00 Can. and last I checked they still had them in stock. I've also seen a few copies at stores that sell used cds and dvds, if you have anything like that around you it's worth keeping an eye open. As firekeeper said the ebay ones are going for about $90 US. If you aren't in a rush to get it you will probably find one for a lot cheaper.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 23rd 2004, 11:27 am

If you can find extra copies it might be worth buying them and selling them on Ebay for a profit.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2004, 11:06 pm

If you look here, you'll see that the MSCL DVD sets sell for anywhere from $51 to $87 on ebay, although most of them sell for around $70, which is right around the list price, but you know how supply and demand works - once the sets are completely unavailable, people will pay crazy prices. The retailers listed at http://www.dvdpricesearch.com and http://www.dvdpricecompare.com (including Amazon and Walmart) have the set listed as out of stock or unavailable, so if you do see a set anywhere, buy it!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Firekeeper
Tino

Post by Firekeeper » Jul 24th 2004, 6:12 pm

I have not seen them anywhere! We got ours 2 years ago at a suncoast. And we had to go out of our way to find the Suncoast that had it, the big one was sold out.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2004, 6:35 pm

At this point, any stores that still have copies of the DVD are selling off their remainder stock from their initial shipments almost two years ago, so it's definitely harder to find them on the shelves. I am almost certain that the Circuit City near my house still has a few copies left - whenever I see that, it simultaneously warms my heart and makes me said that no one has bought them.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 24th 2004, 9:40 pm

candygirl wrote:At this point, any stores that still have copies of the DVD are selling off their remainder stock from their initial shipments almost two years ago, so it's definitely harder to find them on the shelves. I am almost certain that the Circuit City near my house still has a few copies left - whenever I see that, it simultaneously warms my heart and makes me said that no one has bought them.
the BestBuy near me has a copy or two. I feel the same, it's a triumph that it's on the shelf in the first place, but yet I want it sold as well. at least that one copy isn't on the clearance rack for like $10!

emmie

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2004, 10:01 pm

emmie wrote:at least that one copy isn't on the clearance rack for like $10!
I agree - whenever I see a good movie, music, or book on clearance I feel bad for the artist/author, like they are being insulted. I saw a hardcover book that I liked on clearance at Barnes & Noble for $4 and I felt like I should leave a post-it note on the cover that said, "This is worth more than $4!"

:lol:

Same thing when I see the bargain music bin at the grocery store (which always confused me - where were these tapes and CDs in the grocery store before someone put them in the bargain bin?). Then again, when I see those bare bones/no extras DVDs on clearance at Target for $5, I make sure to buy them!

Anyway, whenever I see MSCL at Circuit City, I think, "Doesn't anyone want to buy this?!"

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 24th 2004, 10:05 pm

Those mixed emotions describe my reaction to seeing used copies for sale. When I spot them it's exciting because I know someone is going to get a great deal on an excellent series but I'm upset and confused as to why anyone would sell their copy. I always decide that whoever sold it to the store must have stolen it from the true MSCL fan. Still sad but a little easier for me to accept than to believe someone had actually had enough of the series :shock: . On the upside the used copies are never around for very long.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 24th 2004, 10:17 pm

a really good friend of mine sold all of her Buffy dvds on ebay recently. she said that she needed the money and no longer needed Buffy. I took it as a personal affront. I mean, I could understand her reasons, but we had first bonded at work over our mutual love for the show. I guess it just made me sad that she would get rid of something that had meant so much to both of us at one time. maybe I'm just too sentimental. (not to mention a pack rat.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2004, 10:24 pm

emmie wrote:a really good friend of mine sold all of her Buffy dvds on ebay recently.
:shocked!:

I understand needing money since I'm not independently wealthy, but once you need Buffy, you always need Buffy!

:wink:

Or as one of my friends likes to say, once you have been assimilated, you stay that way.

:robot:

I totally know how you feel, especially since it's something that brought you two together. When I saw this, I thought if it was fer reals then I would definitely have to buy the new packaging, but I never considered selling the other version with the crappy fold out packaging. I'm a pack rat too (although I prefer to think of myself as "sentimental").

:oops:

Maybe I'm just being irrational because I just started watching my Buffy DVDs again last night.

:hammer1:

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 10th 2004, 4:32 pm

Im a new comer to the show.. Im only 17. I started watching the show in April on the N. I got addicted pretty fast! I got the dvd box set in July finally!! Ran up the credit card but I got the last copy at a store called suncoast brand new!!

My mom is a huge fan like me, and she only has started watching it about a month ago when I got my box set! Shes 41 and enjoys it just as much as I do!! So no one should feel bad. This show is for all ages! She just got her hands on a new box set too!!!!