Moving

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2004, 2:54 pm

Lance reports that Missouri is a very long state to drive through.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

the move

Post by lance » Jul 25th 2004, 1:42 pm

Hey all,

Well I made it. An amazing trip it was to. I will have pictures for you. At the moment my computer is still in boxes. I hope to have it set up soon. Then if I can figure out how to post them to my website I will provide a link for you.

Some general impressions:
For those of you who have never done a cross country trip in the United States I firmly recommend it. The US is just huge.
In Moore's recent film Fahrenheit 9-11 he talks about the fact that states have had to cut back on the number of state troopers patrolling the nation's highways & waterways. I believe it. I drove major highways, the biggest being I-70 from Indianapolis all the way to southern Utah.

For quite sometime Ohio State troopers have been complaing about cutbacks but I did see two before I left Ohio and Cincy is maybe 20 minutes from the Indiana border. In Indiana I saw one state trooper. In Illinois and Missouri I saw none, zero. In Kansas I saw two state troopers. In Colorado, Utah and Nevada I saw none. Sad really.

Interesting thing, I stayed at Hampton Inns all the way. Whenever I checked in the night crews all had CNN on the main tvs in the lobby. In the morning all the tvs were set to Fox news :shock:

Okay onto the details

Day One, July 19th: Cincinnati to Effingham, IL, 250 miles

The white line nightmare...that is Indiana! :wink:

I didn't leave until late, until 3:45 EDT. Partly this was because of some poor planning on my part, partly this was because mom wanted some more time before I took off. This part of the trip was very pleasant. Mostly rolling hills until I had cleared Indianapolis. Nice weather in the 80s with low humidity. I reached Effingham at 7:00 CDT.

Day Two, July 20th: Effingham, IL to Topeka, KS, 410 miles

The rest of Illinois was very pleasant. I crossed the Mississippi and entered Missouri. I actually managed to pick up the BBC from an NPR station, I was in heaven. Then came Missouri, which from some unknown reason took me forever to get through. Took me a while to get through St Louis.

By the time I got to Kansas City it was hot, 101 degrees and very sticky. In case you didn't know they are currently trying to rebuild all of Kansas City, one piece of highway at a time. The AAA auto club had routed me on the outer loop I-435 to get around constructoin. Nice idea but didn't work. I left I-70 and got on I-435 and hit a wall of traffic. The right lane was closed and so everybody baked in their cars crawling along at 5 mph for the next 30 minutes.

Also in Missouri I almost got killed twice. Once it was almost death by Honda Civic. The posted speed limit is 70 mph. I was chugging along in the fast land when a black Honda Civic with Missouri plates barreled from the entrance ramp into the high speed lane and promptly dropped to 55 mph. Any closer and I could have changed her radio station for her. The second near crash was from a black trans am with Texas plates, but he almost killed several other people so I somehow felt better about that one.

I got to Topeka, KS at something like 6:30 CDT. Then I entered the hotel from hell.

My first warning sign was when the door to my room didn't work well, it kept rejecting my key. Then I went in search of the excersize room. Unlike the other Hamptons I stayed it, Topeka Hampton was a fleabag. An older hotel with no internal hallways, everything has to be accessed from the outside. So I went to the excersize room. The treadmill was being held together by one- ONE-bolt so I opted for the excerise bike. So I am chugging away on the cell phone with buddy of mine.

Lance: "How's it going Michael?"

Michael: "Good, and you?"

Lance: "I appear to be listing."

That's right my seat began to list off to right ending up at a 45 degree angle. Also pieces of the excersize cycle began to fly off. So I went to the hotel clerks and gave them the pieces. But wait there is more. The ice machine is located in outside breeze way that has no lighting, absolutely pitch black. I managed to find the Ice machine and it gave me all of two ice cubes.

I went back to my room, struggled with the door and got in. I opened the fridge and pieces started to fly out. The freezer did work. Then the power failed. Also all the plugs appeared not be grounded.

Day Three, July 21st: Topeka, KS to Denver, CO, 525 miles.

This was the big day that I feared, a long hall to be sure. Especially since I was driving by myself. I left Topeka about 9:40 CDT and it was cool and overcast maybe 81 degrees. Mentally it was tough. I passed Manhattan, Junction City and Salina. By the time I stopped at Hays, KS I was a bit depressed and daunted by the length of the road ahead. So I just tryed to pump myself up, just going for the next town. I didn't think about Denver, I just tryied to get to WaKeeney, then Oakley, then Colby, then Goodland.

I was making good time it was 70 mph speed limit in Kansas, with patches of construction at 60 mph. I entered Colorado and it became 75. When I got closer to Denver the winds really picked up. My car kept rocking back and forth.

I rolled into Denver and got to my hotel at 6:45 MDT. The hotel was fabulous and I ate at a really good Mexican place. I loved Denver. The town looks terrific, surrounded by mountains. Made me think what Denver must be like in January.

Day Four, July 22nd: Denver, CO to Richfield, UT, 316 miles

Starting out I thought this day was going to be easy compared to the 525 miles I had done the day before. Boy was I wrong.

Again, I left about 9:30. I got maybe 20 minutes outside of Denver when two things happened. One, my car handled like crap. The altitude was wreaking havoc with my car's performance I could do maybe 60 mph with my foot on the floor. Two, by the time I got to Silverthorne I had altitude sickness, bad. I was at 9,000 feet and was dizzy and nausated. I pulled off the road and sat at Wendy's for bit. Eventually I made my way to a pharmacy. The clerk took one look at me and handed my a pamphlet on Altitude Sickeness Awareness.

I got some Drahmine and Emetrol and sat around for maybe and hour, hour and half. I stared to feel bit better and I slowly, slowly make my way down I-70. By the time I got to Rifle, CO I was feeling much better. I hit Grand Junction, CO around 5 pm, MDT. I finally felt well enough to get something to eat. Between Grand Juction and Richfield the road became a much more lonely place, traffic thined considerably. There were several scenic spots where I stopped and took pictures.

I finally rolled into Richfield about 9:15 MDT. The hotel staff promptly informed me that all the restaurants shut down promptly at 10:00 pm! I don't know if this a remnant of the old Blue laws but half an hour later I was entering my hotel room dragging luggage and dripping Wonton Soup all over the carpet.

I got to bed around 12:00 am MDT.

Day Five, last day, July 23rd: Richfield UT to Las Vegas, NV, 316 miles

I slept in a bit and made use of the excersize room and hot tub before heading out. By 10:30 MDT I was on the road again. More mountains but only 4,000 feet up and I took my Drahmine before heading out, so I was in good shape.

I passed Beaver, Cedar City and St. George. I-70 ended and I got onto I-15 South. The temperature gradually rose. By the time I hit Vegas at 2:00 pm PDT, it was 112 degrees. Welcome to Vegas.

So I made it. I did it by myself with no help. I crossed 2,000 miles in my car, loaded down with stuff and got to see some incredible sites.
Tomorrow is the first day of work in my new home.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 25th 2004, 3:30 pm

Wow, congratulations Lance for reaching your new home!

This really sounds like an interesting trip. Can't wait to see the pictures :-)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 26th 2004, 5:03 am

Lance - well done; you must have a real sense of achievement!

I would love to see pictures.
Altitude sickness isn't something that ever ocurred to me as an issue - how scary...

As for the Hotel from Hell, I can sympathise. Mr. S and I did a road-trip around the pacific northwest a few years ago and we encountered a similar thing. First there was no hot water, then when we complained, there was some loud banging of pipes from down below, and then no water at all :!: I had to go into someone else's room (via the outside, in my towel) and have a shower. This place was seriously in the middle of nowhere (Idaho, I believe). I guess that's what we get for spending $27 on accommodation that night.... :roll:

I love road trips though, and I enjoyed reading your report - now bring on the visuals!
:D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 26th 2004, 10:35 am

Cool, Lance, I'm glad you reached your final destination. I enjoyed reading about it. I can't wait to see pictures!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

dmv

Post by lance » Aug 4th 2004, 10:25 pm

Hey all,

Monday I went to the Nevada DMV and got my license & plates. Very different experience.

In Cincinnati Ohio DMV's are rathers plentiful, I believe there is 8. Typically you wait anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to get license and plates. You get the same while you there, costs about $100 for basic plates.

Here in Vegas, there are 3 DMVS. Going to one reminds me of being at an airport. First you must take your car outside for a VIN inspection. Then you go inside and go to the information desk and tell them what you want and then sit in a vast hall filling out forms. You receive a receipt with number, mine was "G255". Lining the back of the room are nearly 30 service desks and seperate area for getting license photos.

Hanging above each of the service desks are lighted signs telling you which clerk is helping out whom, #26 serving H212 for example. A mechanical voice calls out each person to be served and neon like arrrows guide you to the appropriate desk.

After a bit it took on a bingo like feel. Everybody just relieved to finally be called.

Took me an hour and half and it cost me $321 dollars for a license and basic plates. Security was a major concern, I was repeatedly asked to verify my personal information. Both of which I received while I was there. I was repeatedly told by veteran Las Vegans that I was extremely lucky.

I have been told that in California you don't receive your license while you are there, you receive it in two weeks. I have been told that in Texas for a while, they did not confiscate your old license before issuing your new one.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2004, 10:57 pm

In California, they tell you to expect a 6-8 week wait before you receive your new license, but they are usually much faster than that. They do require you to turn in your out of state license, so anyone who wants to keep the old one has to say that they "lost it on the drive out."

:mrgreen:

The Las Vegas DMV sounds like it is keeping in line with the feel of the city of sin!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: dmv

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 5th 2004, 1:06 am

lance wrote:Monday I went to the Nevada DMV and got my license & plates.
Wow lance, you are really on top of it! I enjoyed reading about your trip and hope your new job is going well.

I have to drag myself out to the DMV soon -- I tend to lose my stuff a lot so I always have two divers' licenses (I know that's illegal :roll: ) and I've lost one and have to replace it. There is nothing I dread as much as I dread going to the DMV.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 5th 2004, 2:19 am

My boyfriend went a few weeks ago. Even with no appointment, he said there was absolutely no line and no wait. As if that wasn't crazy enough, he said the woman who helped him was friendly and helpful. I told him that they are just trying to lull him into a false sense of security and that next time it will be the hell that he remembers.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 5th 2004, 2:23 am

Isn't that creepy? The last time I was up, I found a tiny office in a sleepy little suburb with almost no waiting. They even let me look at the instant digital picture and gave me the option of redoing it if I didn't like the first one. Still looks like crap though; some things never change...

:roll:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 5th 2004, 2:39 am

Yeah, the Santa Barbara one is much better than the LA ones I've been to. Since we're on the subject, does anyone have an answer to this one: So, I love my most recent DL pic, and I want to keep it for my replacement one, but that picture was taken at the SB DMV and I now live down here (LA), would all the CA DMVs have that photo on file, or would I have to go back up the one in Goleta? I'm not excted about getting the new yellowish license.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 5th 2004, 2:45 am

The picture is on file with the California DMV, so it doesn't matter if you are in LA or Santa Barbara. Interestingly, I have had the same picture for almost ten years now. I was really bummed because I liked my first picture and that license was stolen. I took a new picture when I had it replaced. I had my picture taken one more time and now they just keep sending me new licenses with the same picture when the old ones expire.

When my boyfriend went a few weeks ago, they weren't going to take a new picture until he told them his was almost ten years old too. That was enough to get the friendly lady to say, "Well come on, let's take a new picture then!"

The new yellow license looks so fake to me. The other thing I don't like about them is that they are thinner than the older, stiffer ones. Maybe it's a scheme by the DMV so that we will trash them and have to pay for replacements before they expire.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 5th 2004, 3:25 am

candygirl wrote:The new yellow license looks so fake to me. The other thing I don't like about them is that they are thinner than the older, stiffer ones. Maybe it's a scheme by the DMV so that we will trash them and have to pay for replacements before they expire.
Another conspiracy for Nostradamus!

Thanks for the info! :D

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 5th 2004, 3:41 am

Shhh!

Do you want to have those DMV guys as your enemies?!

I'd just like to say what wonderful people those DMV employees are, yup, real heroes, and damn sexy too.

:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 5th 2004, 3:53 am

In the vein of "Oh, Angela, hi!" I love the DMV!

:mrgreen: