As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 15th 2004, 10:25 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
candygirl wrote:It's Faith and Buffy dancing at the Bronze - woo hoo!
I don't know why, but ever since this has been your new avatar CG, I always imagined the blonde one was you (logistcally I had my doubts, but it seemed to fit). So today I was on a mission to find out! I was wrong, but I can't feel too badly, given that I've never seen Buffy.

Wow, some of the mystery of the forum seems to have faded away with this dicovery ...
If it makes you feel any better, you can pretend that's me dancing away (although I am definitely closer to Faith's dance style and bar apparel than Buffy's).

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » May 16th 2004, 10:10 am

Mine is Eben. It's always Eben. If you google "Eben changing day" you'll see that to which I refer.

I wear pince-nez.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 16th 2004, 9:14 pm

FYI: During my 666th post I briefly sported a Route US 666 - Straight to Hell jacket patch.
danguyf wrote:Mine is Eben. It's always Eben. If you google "Eben changing day" you'll see that to which I refer.

I wear pince-nez.
I thought it was Harry Potter.

:lol:
If it makes you feel any better, you can pretend that's me dancing away (although I am definitely closer to Faith's dance style and bar apparel than Buffy's).
Mmm, mental picture, gluhhh... [/drool]

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 28th 2004, 4:37 pm

Candygirl- I love your avie. It rocks. I remember that episode very well.

Jody Barsch- I really like your avie. What is it a picture of?

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 28th 2004, 8:16 pm

I love Jody Barsch's avatar too. I have no idea where it's from but it has always seemed weirdly familiar. So what is it?

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 29th 2004, 11:34 am

I have a feeling it could be Carrie from "Sex In The City" but I'm not sure.
"It's such a lie that we should do what's in our hearts. If we did what's in our hearts, the world would grind to a halt."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 29th 2004, 12:16 pm

isn't it from Almost Famous when Penny Lane is walking up the ramp from the backstage area? I love that movie and I remember her wearing that coat throughout.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 29th 2004, 7:15 pm

emmie wrote:isn't it from Almost Famous when Penny Lane is walking up the ramp from the backstage area? I love that movie and I remember her wearing that coat throughout.
Yes, it is from Almost Famous.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 29th 2004, 8:18 pm

Oh yeah. ithink I already read a post saying it was from Almost Famous. I'll probably forget again. I like the mystery it has for me when I don't know. It looks like it should be a painting (possibly a Monet). She looks isolated but empowered.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 29th 2004, 9:04 pm

Wow, I almost missed that whole discussion about my avatar. Yes, it is Penny Lane from Almost Famous.

I actually don’t remember ever explaining my avatar before… Aside from the fact that I love Almost Famous and that I think this is a great picture in it’s own right, I chose it because I felt like it went well with the idea of Jody Barsch – a significant presence however unknowable she may be. I agree that this picture, much like the character of Penny herself, resonates with a bit of mystery. (Mind you, it was never my intention to present myself in the forum as this enigmatic figure who bears a resemblance to Kate Hudson.) I have always liked the story, or rather, the absence of story concerning Jody Barsch in MSCL. What really happened? I guess I chose it because that element, as much as anything else in the show, rings true to life – we do lose friends, sometimes for reasons we cannot even articulate, and at times there are elements of mystery that surround our relationships with others. I guess I like the Jody story and Penny Lane picture for the same reason I like Jordan Catalano, ellipses, and Faulkner and Wharton novels, so much resides in the unknowable.

It's weird having these pictures explained, huh? We all have our own impressions of these images, and sometimes they vary so much from what they actually are...

And Grim, yours has always been my favorite pic!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 29th 2004, 11:50 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote: Almost Famous!
Since I just left the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy thread I figure it is appropiate that I say... "yay Zooey Deschanel!" :P ;)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 30th 2004, 12:49 am

actually, Jody Barsh's avatar inspired me to base my av on a film I really love. the only problem was finding a small enough pic of Amelie's face. if you remember the film, the director was constantly dollying in really close until her face filled the screen. but I managed to find a few odd pics of her in the background. Audrey Tautou is just so adorable!

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 30th 2004, 10:51 am

I didn't see Almost Famous(I should probably rent it) so I had no idea where it was from I just knew I liked it. It's so mysterious and that's what I liked about it. I agree the picture goes well with the mystic surrounding Jody Barsch.
"It's such a lie that we should do what's in our hearts. If we did what's in our hearts, the world would grind to a halt."

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 30th 2004, 11:41 am

Ok, I can't resist sharing a couple of my favorite Almost Famous moments. I love the the line "I've made a decision. I'm going to live in Marrocco, for one year. Do you want to come?" And William says yes and then asks for her to ask him again, it's brilliant.

And my favorite line:
Lester Bangs: What, are you like the star of your school?
William Miller: They hate me.
Lester Bangs: You'll meet them all again on their long journey to the middle.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 30th 2004, 2:43 pm

Nothingman wrote:I love the the line "I've made a decision. I'm going to live in Marrocco, for one year. Do you want to come?" And William says yes and then asks for her to ask him again, it's brilliant.
The best part about that scene is that it is real -- when he asks her to ask him again, it isn't them acting, it's Patrick talking to Kate.

The whole movie is brilliant, every actor in the film gives an incredible performance. If you're a fan you should totally listen to the commentary and check out the bootleg version (some of the extended scenes weaken the film, IMHO -- especially with the quailude scene), but it's worth seeing for sure. I always love when Russel says, "Yes, on my better days, I'm Russel Hammond from Stillwater" and it's actually based on something John Cussak said years ago about being Lloyd Dobbler. ... I could go on and on but I just have to mention Frances McDormand "There's hope for you yet, Russel"
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !