"You're so beautiful! It hurts to look at you."

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
mia
Yearbook Team

"You're so beautiful! It hurts to look at you."

Post by mia » Sep 18th 2000, 1:41 pm

That's a line I heard in last nights episode of Touched By an Angel. Very interesting, don't you think?? I wonder if they rippied it off on purpose...

You know, with your hair like that? It hurts to look at you.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: "You're so beautiful! It hurts to look at you."

Post by oldguy » Sep 19th 2000, 12:10 am

Mia -- I think they have been reading your
email messages, not watching MSCL!

grim4746
Krakow

Re: "You're so beautiful! It hurts to look at you."

Post by grim4746 » Sep 26th 2000, 12:18 pm

I don't think they took it from MSCL though they might have. I was watching an old french movie with Gerard De Parduis (I have no idea how to spell his name but I think you know who I mean) and the line was used in that movie. I don't know if that is where MSCL took it from but it was made well before the show was. But then again they might have stolen the line from MSCL I had noticed that other shows especially Party of Five occassionally used lines from MSCL but it might have been coincidence.

Post by Guest » Jul 21st 2004, 3:33 pm

Who said that line? Was it Angela or Jordan?

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jul 21st 2004, 5:26 pm

It was Angela.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 22nd 2004, 9:55 am

whitespy12 wrote:It was Angela.
And then Rayanne said it to Angela later in the back of the cop car, which is my favorite saying of the line.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 22nd 2004, 10:57 am

Thanks. So was Angela talking about Jordan when she said that? If so I can see why.

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jul 22nd 2004, 12:08 pm

Well, yes and no. Rickie asked "If you were about to do it, what would you want the other person to say like, right before?" (i don't think thats the exact quote by the way), and Rayanne responds "This won't take long" and "Don't I know you?". Angela, on the other hand, responds with the infamous line "You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you". This is an obvious reference to earlier in the episode when Angela talks about Jordan Catalano in her head:
AngelaVO: I'm in love. His name is Jordan Catalano. He was left back, twice. Once I almost touched his shoulder in the middle of a pop quiz. He's always closing his eyes, like it hurts to look at things.
So, it's kind of indirectly about Jordan.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 22nd 2004, 12:21 pm

Thanks. It makes since now. I love the quote.

Firekeeper
Tino

Post by Firekeeper » Jul 22nd 2004, 6:33 pm

I'm pretty sure Rayanne's version was " With your hair like that, it hurts to look at you."

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 22nd 2004, 9:15 pm

I was just going to say that firekeeper then I scrolled to the bottom and saw you had beat me to it (I have to start getting home from work earlier). I love Rayanne's version. It seems like she trying to be sweet and mocking at the same time it always makes me smile. Maybe it's the cynic in me but I wouldn't want someone to tell me I'm so beautiful it hurts to look at me and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say it to anyone else. IMO it's cheesy and doesn't make much sense. Maybe that's just how romance is but I think it's romance done improperly. but hey Angela was 15 and fictional so I guess I'll cut her some slack.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 23rd 2004, 12:28 am

Firekeeper wrote:I'm pretty sure Rayanne's version was " With your hair like that, it hurts to look at you."
Yes, that is exactly what she said. But I still like when Rayanne says it to Angela.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Firekeeper
Tino

Post by Firekeeper » Jul 23rd 2004, 11:46 am

Oh, me too! I love that part! It always gives me this uncontrollable smile when I hear it.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 4th 2004, 6:28 pm

grim4746 wrote:I love Rayanne's version. It seems like she trying to be sweet and mocking at the same time it always makes me smile. Maybe it's the cynic in me but I wouldn't want someone to tell me I'm so beautiful it hurts to look at me and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say it to anyone else. IMO it's cheesy and doesn't make much sense. Maybe that's just how romance is but I think it's romance done improperly. but hey Angela was 15 and fictional so I guess I'll cut her some slack.
Totally! I like when Rayanne says it to Angela because she is trying to show her that she cares about her, that she listens to her, and in a way is kind of reassuring her after that night at Let's Bolt that her hair (and everything else that Angela had done that week at Rayanne's suggestion) was not a mistake, and that things would be ok. As discussed here: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2935 the pilot marks a moment of transition for Angela, and after being knocked to the ground and driven home by the cops, I think Rayanne, drunk though she is, senses that Angela may be rethinking the choices she's been making. That is not to say that Rayanne is manipulating Angela here, I don't think she is. It is a moment that is exciting and endearing, but one that also has dark undertones.

As for the line itself, "You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you," it doesn't make sense and it just sounds like a "line".
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 4th 2004, 11:58 pm

Jody, that post was so beautiful it hurt to read it. :twisted: :P