Your proudest moments of MSCL Characters

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Your proudest moments of MSCL Characters

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 24th 2003, 3:06 am

What are your proudest moments of MSCL Characters?

Brian at the end of "Life of Brian" when he lets go of his obsession with Angela and realizes that it might just be her shampoo.

In "Pressure" when Angela and Brian are talking on the stairs and he says, "so is that like a problem you're having" -- he doesn't freak out or over-analyze, he is cool and there to listen. Also when he is outside and he tells Jordan that he's not sure if she is home-- he is staying out of it he lets Angela decide if she will be home.

"Pressure" in the car when Angela asks Jordan if he ever gets obsessed with the rear-view mirror while he's driving -- I don't know, it just feels like the first time Angela doesn't dwell on topic, she changes the subject, I love it. Plus, it's a great question.

I am just always proud of Graham, I love him!!! (Okay, almost always – omit the conversations with that nameless young woman and the fact that he mistook Anne Frank for a sophomore, and maybe the fact that he asked Brian if he had to play his two instruments at once, but maybe not, because I just LOVE that scene.)

I have a lot more, but those are always my top three, and I didn't want to take them all.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 24th 2003, 5:15 am

I love the scene in 'betrayal' when Jordan tries to give Angela that pen he's been chewing on. And she is just so rude and immature. I love it and am proud that she handles it in such a fun way. As if sending the message to Jordan that if he's going to be so dumb and childish to think that he has any business talking to her especially if he's not going to talk about the actual issues then he's going to get the same empty headed immaturity thrown back at him. And then when she throws the pen in the garbage, it always makes me smile. It's a tense and upsetting scene but i'm proud of how she handles herself.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Nov 24th 2003, 1:51 pm

I don't think Brian let's go of his obsession with Angela when he makes the shampoo comment in "Life of Brian". I think he's just making an observation and that he would like to let go of his obsession but can't. I also think he rejects her offer to dance because he's annoyed with her and at that moment he had the strength (as well as the opportunity) to reject her. Maybe to hurt her a little. Only a little, because he immediately backtracks from his "...not with you" comment, to "I don't feel much like dancing" (or something like that).

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 24th 2003, 2:50 pm

I like it when in the last episode (I think?) Rickie tells Delia "If I were attracted to girls, I'd be attracted to you." I like it that she admits to her crush on Rickie, but saying the Brian is the 'lowest dog of all time' or whatever she says is a little too much.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 24th 2003, 9:47 pm

Jack wrote:I don't think Brian let's go of his obsession with Angela when he makes the shampoo comment in "Life of Brian". I think he's just making an observation and that he would like to let go of his obsession but can't.
First, YEAH! it is my first successful text quote!!!
Anyway, what I meant was that Brain momentarily lets go of his obsession. I was not suggesting that in this scene Brian gets over Angela permanently, but rather that he is able to see past it, like a reality check. Brian spends all this time thinking about Angela, but when he is angry with her, his obsession with her does not control him--he can see her just as a real person with flaws rather than an ideal creation of her.

The pen scene is a great one!!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » Nov 25th 2003, 12:26 pm

"By the way, I spell my name with one L."
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 25th 2003, 1:49 pm

This is a difficult topic to answer. So many things have popped into my mind. But I'll limit my response to one incident. In "So-Called Angels," Angela wants to invite the homless girl, the so-called angel, and Rickie to dinner on Christmas Eve. Here's a passage from Angela's World:
Patty notices that Angela has set two additional places, and can think only of additional family members. Angela tells Patty that she wants to invite Rickie and the homeless girl to dinner. Patty categorically refuses:

"Angela, listen to me. You are not going back to that place. This is a serious matter."

"I know that! Why do you speak like this to me, like I'm a child?"

"This girl, whoever she is, has serious problems!"

"You haven't even talked to her! I've talked to her! This girl -- she could be me."

"Oh, don't say that!" Patty yells. "She couldn't be you! How can you say that?"

"Because its true."
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Post by Guest » Nov 27th 2003, 4:31 pm

pistolpeg wrote:"By the way, I spell my name with one L."
That's one of my favourites...

Graham to Patty in "self esteem" ;
Patty : Well, that's -- that's wonderful.
Graham : Why do you sound like that?
Patty : Like what? No, no, I -- it's wonderful, it is, I-I'm just
surprised. I -- Can't I be surprised? I mean -- aren't you
surprised?
Graham : Yeah, very. Oh, I'm gonna do it, though. I just -- uh - I
wouldn't mind it if one of us wasn't quite so surprised.

kandykiss19

Post by kandykiss19 » Jun 25th 2004, 2:06 am

i think Angela is at her proudest in 'self esteem' at the end when Jordan comes up to her and they are walking and he grabs onto her hand! I love that scene soo much!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: ...

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 25th 2004, 1:30 pm

kandykiss19 wrote:i think Angela is at her proudest in 'self esteem' at the end when Jordan comes up to her and they are walking and he grabs onto her hand! I love that scene soo much!
But are you proud of Jordan or Angela at that moment? Or do you just suspect that Angela is proud of herself?

inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Post by inhirnamy137 » Jun 29th 2004, 2:07 pm

Jordan- admitting his reading problem, and when he takes Angela hand in front of his friends.

Angela- when she tells Jordan off in the boiler room, when she makes up with sharon, when she talks Ricki out of carrying a gun.

Brian-When he refuses to help Angela with her geometry after she ditches him to go to Buffalo Tom, when he talks to Angela on the stairs about sex and boys..telling her ALL boys aren't after sex like a certain person :wink:

Sharon: when she runs after Angela after Jordan disses her in the self-esteem episode, when Sharon talks to Danielle about Angela during the Halloween episode, when Sharon talks to Angela about sex in the in the Pressure episode.

Rayanne-when she got the lead role in OUR TOWN

Ricki- the way he always shows sensitivity towards his friends when they have problems..., when he went to Mr.Kamtimski house.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 29th 2004, 3:01 pm

I always liked when Rayanne approached Jordan after he ignored Angela at the club where Buffalo Tom was playing. "Cuz you know, she's worth it. And she's not going to wait around for you forever."

When Rayanne thanked Patty for saving her life.

When Patty stepped up and took over when Rayanne over-dosed.

When Graham got the job of teaching the cooking class (especially when he was telling Patty about it).

Patty firing Graham (realizing that he needed that push to figure out what he should be doing with his life). And proud of Graham for accepting it.

Patty standing up to her dad and "kicking him off his pedastol" (sp?).

Angela's speech at the end of the zit. I am always proud that she was able to reach that conclusion (about everyone being beautiful in their own ways) at that age (15). I am still coming to terms with thinking that I could be beautiful, in my own way, too.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

johny 101

Post by johny 101 » Jun 29th 2004, 4:01 pm

I always liked when Rayanne approached Jordan after he ignored Angela at the club where Buffalo Tom was playing. "Cuz you know, she's worth it. And she's not going to wait around for you forever."
Man, I like that one so much.But do you think Jordan gets what she's saying? Does he even care at that point?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 29th 2004, 5:14 pm

johny 101 wrote:
Man, I like that one so much.But do you think Jordan gets what she's saying? Does he even care at that point?
I think he does, which is what eventually leads him to approaching her in the hallway and taking her hand.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 30th 2004, 5:20 am

Megs wrote:I always liked when Rayanne approached Jordan after he ignored Angela at the club where Buffalo Tom was playing. "Cuz you know, she's worth it. And she's not going to wait around for you forever."
That's an awesome one! Everything about that scene is killer!