I'm married!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
starbug
Lifehead

I'm married!

Post by starbug » Jun 21st 2004, 7:02 am

Well, it finally happened... 20 long months of planning everything to the nth degree (CG, you'd have been proud of my new-found obsessiveness), worrying about guestlists, tableplans, colour-coordinated confetti (I'm NOT kidding), family politics, food, wine, DJs and music (much heartache over song choices) etc etc etc, we did it!

It was a truly great day, everyone had such a good time, and it really does blow my mind quite how far people are willing to go to show their love and support. We're STILL getting cards and presents and general well-wishes from people we don't even really know (think Mr. S's primary school teacher from like, 20 years ago).

Honeymoon was a blast - Sri Lanka is a fantastic country; I'd recommend it to anyone. If you've never been to the developing world before it's a good introduction. On looking at the photos my dad pronounced it 'about 3 steps up from India', although obviously it depends on where you go. Amazing people; they have a historical problem of terrorism (which makes it a very cheap country to visit) with the LTTE but they honestly do seem to be coming out of it now as everyone has realised the value of peace. As usual it's the minority ruining it for the majority and 99.9% of Sri Lankans hate it. But despite the various internal problems the people I met were extremely hopeful for the future. Tourism is looking up (we went in low season and we were seriously one of very few white people there). The drawbacks to the country were how long it took to get anywhere internally - roads are a mess and the driving defies belief (Mglenn, even you wouldn't last five minutes, I fear) and is best left to the locals. We didn't dare get behind the wheel... it's easier to get a taxi. It takes ages... 5 hours to drive around 70 miles, mainly because everyone drives like a lunatic and who has right of way depends on who has the bigger vehicle (not a joke - hairpin bends notwithstanding), if you can believe it, so we didn't get to see the ancient cities but we saw some really cool stuff anyway...

I'm working on finding a good site to load up some photos I have. They're mainly honeymoon at the moment but we're expecting people's digitals of the wedding to filter through soon via email. As you're probably aware, I'm a technical fool. Can anyone recommend a good, free, site where I can post around 75-100 photos? I'll post the link here when I've done, for anyone who's interested in seeing...

It's good to be back, nonetheless, and I've enjoyed reading the activity on the site, which seems to have picked up somewhat.

:smilecolros:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jun 21st 2004, 8:12 am

Congratulations starbug! I'm glad all your careful planning (colour-cooridinated confetti? :shock: ) paid off.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 21st 2004, 9:42 am

Congratulations!! It sounds like you have a truly wonderful day!

How about shutterfly.com? Or maybe ofoto.com? I can't wait to see pictures!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 21st 2004, 12:43 pm

Congratulations! :D :D

Now get ready for the :ironing: :washingdishes: :washer1:

j/k ;)

As for sites you could try maybe Photobucket.com. Though I am not sure what there allowance for size is.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 21st 2004, 7:09 pm

Congrats! I am so proud of your color-coordinated confetti, not only for its obsessiveness but also its alliteration! My parents dyed their rice the night before the wedding - it's one of those family stories that everyone gets to hear as a warning of What Not to Do.

I definitely can't wait to see the pictures! I have used photobucket, which is nice, as well as yahoo. Depending on the size of the pictures, yahoo might be okay (I have over 100 in one album).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Jun 21st 2004, 8:03 pm

oh wow...sounds great and a homeymoon in Sri Lanka. WoW! Congratulations! CandyGirl is right about hosts for photos. Photobucket and Yahoo are who I use and they can both hold a large amount of photos.
There`s Something About My Life....

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 22nd 2004, 4:38 am

candygirl wrote:My parents dyed their rice the night before the wedding - it's one of those family stories that everyone gets to hear as a warning of What Not to Do.
:rofl: seriously?! good grief... that's pretty good :D

My own What Not To Do story has to be:
'Don't drink coffee on the morning of your wedding, no matter how tired you are'. I was on 3 hours sleep, and feeling seriously exhausted, so I rather dimly through the haze thought 'must have caffeine'... at around 11.30am. It's about an hour's drive from my parents' house (where I was staying) into central London, and around 20 mins into the drive (around 1.15pm) I realised I wasn't going to make it to the church and through the ceremony without wetting myself. I alerted the driver (white london taxis - very cool) and the only solution he could come up with was that we drive to his previous employer's office which was en route, and I go there for a pee. So I arrived at the Dial-a-Cab central london office in full bridal regalia, with mother in tow to manage various propping up of dress duties, and used their facilities; I think it was quite a spectacle for them, and all I could do was apologise profusely and state 'how embarrassing' on numerous occasions. Still, it has gone down in family history - I'll always be the bride who was 10 mins late because she had to stop to take a pee.

Never forget: coffee is a diuretic....

Thanks for the tips re photo sites; I will definitely check those out.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

congrats

Post by lance » Jun 25th 2004, 8:16 pm

Starbug,

Congrats on you big day.

:D

I am so happy for you. I am glad things went so smoothly. Amazing how weddings bring well wishes & gifts from people you barely know. Honeymoon & Sri Lanka aren't words are normally associate with each other but I am thrilled to hear that you had a tremendous time.

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 27th 2004, 6:00 pm

:flowers: Congratulations Starbug!!!

Glad to hear that all the planning and the worry ended with a beautiful day!

All the best to you and Mr. S! :love
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 29th 2004, 11:53 am

Ok Guys and Dolls, I managed a photo album online. Click here:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v259/CarterUSM/

and you can view my two albums, Wedding and Sri Lanka. The photos aren't in order at all (I couldn't work out how to make them upload in an order; it appears to be random) but you get the idea.

The elephants at Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage are a highlight! Enjoy...

:D

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 29th 2004, 3:08 pm

I get a "cannot be displayed" page. :cry: I would love to see the pics.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jun 29th 2004, 9:40 pm

I was able to see them fine. Great photos. It really shows how obsessive you must have been about things it all looks perfect. I started to list it all but no one has the time to read that so I'll just say that your dress, the cake, your jewellery all look wonderful. I think pic #38 is my favourite from the wedding album, it's adorable. In pic #51 the bridesmaid in the centre background has a great look on her face, I wonder what was so shocking. The elephant pics were great but my favourite of the Sri Lanka pics is probably the one with the 6 year old turtle. It all looks like it was the best time. Now that I've seen a pic of your new husband congratulations again! Who cares if he won't watch the Alien movies with you, he's cute.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 29th 2004, 11:29 pm

Megs wrote:I get a "cannot be displayed" page. :cry: I would love to see the pics.
Ok, I was able to see them from my home computer.

Simply beautiful! I love your dress! Your smile is gorgeous. What a glowing bride!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 29th 2004, 11:51 pm

I haven't looked at the photos yet, but which one of you is the CUSM fan?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 30th 2004, 1:12 am

Your wedding was just gorgeous - thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us! I love the purple and white bouquets that the bridesmaids had. The reception pictures were so fun - it looks like everyone was having a great time. I love the pictures from Sri Lanka - and the turtle pictures are so cute!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?