am I the first one to see this?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 20th 2003, 10:20 pm

I think that even if Winnie Holzman wrote the script it would not be the same... even if all the originals came back... it would be like immoral or something... I mean i think leaving the last episode just the way it was was at first was upsetting because its like you cant know what happend... did angela ask about the letter... did jordan tell her about the letter... did angela feel the same about brian... would brian ever admit that he was in love with her... would angela care?... would rayanne and angela become friends... would rickie ever find a boyfriend... I mean the list can go on and on and on but after watching the last episode and sometimes wanting more to latch on to made me think that I can make up what happend... I can take the story and create what is right in my heart and not have someone else write it for me...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Loz_179
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Loz_179 » Oct 22nd 2003, 1:29 am

I agree, I think the reason I still think about mscl all these years later is I imagine for myself what I would like to have happened. If they made a movie, I think a lot of people would be disappointed in it, and it would kind of ruin beauty of those 19 episodes...[/quote]

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 1:39 am

Is it weird that there are certain people who see the beauty in the show but others dont? I mean for me when I heard that the series was coming out I went absolutly nuts!!! I could not believe that finally I would be able to see it again after so long... I mean for me when I was going through "my so called life" I sometimes could not find anthing that I could relate to the way I did to MSCL and having gone through certain things that the characters did I mean I was so happy when I had MSCL even if it was only for a short time and then for a long time it was like I was missing a piece of my heart or something and when I got MSCL on dvd It was like I found the piece of my heart that was missing...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

COULD HAPPEN...

Post by Guest » Mar 9th 2004, 2:52 am

Oh it's always been my dream to make a movie! Lately I've gotten very much into film and all the different aspects of it...i'm still a complete amateur. I think it would take the original cast, crew, and writers to do justice to the film. What about a 10 yr highschool reunion? Organised by Sharon , naturally :P Could work...

BrodysMother

Post by BrodysMother » Apr 2nd 2004, 2:39 pm

The only feasible explanation for the return of a characters to a movie would be Tino's funeral. (Thank you for the Big Chill reference - one of my all time favorite movies) They all look (obviously) much older to even consider picking up within a couple of years where they left off.

YvBaBy
Jody Barsh

Post by YvBaBy » Apr 3rd 2004, 8:06 am

would be great, but i don't think that this will happen with the same crew...i think they are even too old now to play these characters
ImageImage

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 10th 2004, 2:31 am

In high school when the show was first cancelled I remember wishing for a film to follow and give us at least two more hours with our mscl characters, now though, I think I would resent a film. As everyone has already pointed out, a film version is clearly out of question -- if for no other reason Jared and Claire are way over MSCL and wouldn't do it. But now, all these years later, although I still would like to find satisfying continuation episodes, and for Winnie to map out what she saw happening with the characters, I am happy with what we have, anything else just would be wrong. Also, I am over Claire. I loved her in MSCL, I still think she made a wonderful Beth and a great Juliet, but I wouldn't want to see her return to the role of Angela, it wouldn't fit. As wonderful and dynamic as I believe the MSCL characters to be, I would argue that it was these characters in those particular points in their lives that made the show so precious to us as viewers, that created this amazing empathetic viewing. While I enjoy reading Tomspeed's and other's fanfics that set the scene some years after the series, my interest stays with the characters as they were in those moments of adolescence/change/discovery. In other words, I don't need to see Angela in college or attending her 5 or 10 year reunion, I am confidant that she will be fine, it is the moments where she, and the others, are still deciding who they will be that speak to me.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » May 11th 2004, 12:57 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:In high school when the show was first cancelled I remember wishing for a film to follow and give us at least two more hours with our mscl characters, now though, I think I would resent a film. As everyone has already pointed out, a film version is clearly out of question -- if for no other reason Jared and Claire are way over MSCL and wouldn't do it. But now, all these years later, although I still would like to find satisfying continuation episodes, and for Winnie to map out what she saw happening with the characters, I am happy with what we have, anything else just would be wrong. Also, I am over Claire. I loved her in MSCL, I still think she made a wonderful Beth and a great Juliet, but I wouldn't want to see her return to the role of Angela, it wouldn't fit. As wonderful and dynamic as I believe the MSCL characters to be, I would argue that it was these characters in those particular points in their lives that made the show so precious to us as viewers, that created this amazing empathetic viewing. While I enjoy reading Tomspeed's and other's fanfics that set the scene some years after the series, my interest stays with the characters as they were in those moments of adolescence/change/discovery. In other words, I don't need to see Angela in college or attending her 5 or 10 year reunion, I am confidant that she will be fine, it is the moments where she, and the others, are still deciding who they will be that speak to me.

I agree completly. Could`nt have said it better.
There`s Something About My Life....

toolostinyou
Jody Barsh

Post by toolostinyou » May 28th 2004, 12:12 pm

I'd like to see a book by Winnie Holzman or a spin-off starring Lisa Wilholt
that spin-off with danielle sounds interesting. though they'd have to play around with the yrs a bit cause 10 yrs later danielle would be in college.

i'm not sure about a movie. of course we'd all like to know what happened with all the characters, but then again i think it would take away from the credibility of the show. besides, everyone on the MSCL fan sites seem to be perfectly happy concocting their own versions of what would've happened and why. theirs a reason for everything. MSCL should be left the way it was. even if it left us with a nail biting cliff-hanger.
"Apparently Delia Fischer smiles at everyone. She probably comes from one of
those small towns where everyone's friendly and smiles at you for no reason.
I hate that type of town."
-- Brian

Leo
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Leo » Jun 24th 2004, 8:13 am

I'd rather have a book than a movie. That'd be the easier path, too. No need to bring together all the old actors who have moved on to different projects. And there's no way you can have a MSCL movie with replacement actors. More importantly, I think it would be more rewarding for the fans. A book would allow for us to see a further progression of our favorite characters and and would allow for more of a story to unfold.
Let's Bolt!

toolostinyou
Jody Barsh

Post by toolostinyou » Jun 24th 2004, 4:34 pm

Leo wrote:I'd rather have a book than a movie. That'd be the easier path, too. No need to bring together all the old actors who have moved on to different projects. And there's no way you can have a MSCL movie with replacement actors. More importantly, I think it would be more rewarding for the fans. A book would allow for us to see a further progression of our favorite characters and and would allow for more of a story to unfold.
yeah, especially since books are always better.
"Apparently Delia Fischer smiles at everyone. She probably comes from one of
those small towns where everyone's friendly and smiles at you for no reason.
I hate that type of town."
-- Brian

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 25th 2004, 1:37 am

As long as the reunion book isn't anything like My So-Called Life Goes On!

:x
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Chiquita Banana
Frozen Embryo

Post by Chiquita Banana » Jul 1st 2004, 7:32 pm

A book, or a series written preferably by Winnie Holzman would be awesome. At least to show what happened with the characters through the rest of high school. Of course, I'd think she'd have to leave it as sort of a cliffhanger to replenish our desire and love of the show, and to feed our imaginations of the possibilities of what might happen to the characters along the way. You know what they say, keep 'em wanting more. ;)

I'm new here and I was just wondering why it was that Jared would refuse to do anything related to MSCL?