AJ's thought

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
K-man
Liberty High Graduate

AJ's thought

Post by K-man » May 28th 2004, 6:17 pm

...We will look back on this and know we were all a part of something very special. - A.J. Langer's sign-off on the MSCL T-shirt at the wrap-party.

I was perusing the MSCL.com mall and I have seen this before but for some reason this really hit me this afternoon when I re-read it. Did AJ really have any idea how accurate this prediction would turn out to be? And how accurate it really has become. If someone would have told her that like 6-10 years later a group of feircely dedicated fans would be fighting tooth and nail to have her work released on DVD and rerun on cable channels I wonder what her reaction would have been. They all were a part of something very special indeed!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Re: AJ's thought

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » May 30th 2004, 10:40 pm

K-man wrote:...We will look back on this and know we were all a part of something very special. - A.J. Langer's sign-off on the MSCL T-shirt at the wrap-party.

I was perusing the MSCL.com mall and I have seen this before but for some reason this really hit me this afternoon when I re-read it. Did AJ really have any idea how accurate this prediction would turn out to be? And how accurate it really has become. If someone would have told her that like 6-10 years later a group of feircely dedicated fans would be fighting tooth and nail to have her work released on DVD and rerun on cable channels I wonder what her reaction would have been. They all were a part of something very special indeed!
I believe if they would have forseen the following this show has had they would have fought harder to keep the show on the air and convience Clair Danes to stay on board with the show.
There`s Something About My Life....

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 31st 2004, 3:38 am

K-man wrote:If someone would have told her that like 6-10 years later a group of feircely dedicated fans would be fighting tooth and nail to have her work released on DVD and rerun on cable channels
That sounds impressive until you realize that somewhere, right now, a group of fiercely dedicated fans is fighting tooth and nail to get the collected works of Pauly Shore released on DVD. <shiver>

:o

Seriously though, I know what you mean. You can probably get by in Hollywood doing hair gel commercials and blockbuster action movies, but you might feel a little empty at the end of the day. You can also have dozens of brilliant artistic insights but never get them past your journal page. Sometimes everything falls into place, and it's cool to be a part of that.

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 31st 2004, 2:44 pm

Nostradamus wrote:That sounds impressive until you realize that somewhere, right now, a group of fiercely dedicated fans is fighting tooth and nail to get the collected works of Pauly Shore released on DVD.
It's funny to me that you chose to juxtapose MSCL with Pauly ... Like many, I watched the show when it was on ABC, but I never taped it until it was airing on MTV. Well, for several of the episodes the first commercial in the break was for Pauly's "brand spanking new show" where he is running around in his oh-so-Pauly leather pants begging the camera guy to slap him. Through years of viewing these tapes in the pre-MSCL DVD world, this commericial, and all the little MTV animation bits, became part of the MSCL experience for me.

I agree that MSCL is something special, and I hope that all who were involved in it would be proud of their participation, and although I would never say that Pauly Shore's work is of the same calibur, there's a part of me that just loves him for what he is ... a weasel.

"Whheeez the jui-uice, bud-dy!"
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 11th 2004, 9:24 pm

I have the same experience with taping MSCL. I now have the DVD set, but I've kept my original tapes from MTV. it's almost more fun to watch the episodes with all of the old commercials. it really takes you back to when I was that age and watched MTV all the time. plus I think I've got some of the cast on there when they hosted the show. fun all around.

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Jun 12th 2004, 4:37 pm

Pauly Shore...He`s still around? I have`nt heard of him in a looong time. The only movie of his I liked was "Son-In-Law." If a group of fans can make a Pauly Shore DVD set come out...then theres hope for anything in this world to happen.
Last edited by MyLifeIsBrians on Jun 13th 2004, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 13th 2004, 3:34 am

Dude, it's all about Encino Man! Yeah, and Pauly's definitley still around -- you see him at red carpet events sometimes. (There was a funny thing with him on an early season of punk'd)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Jun 13th 2004, 8:12 pm

ah...Ecino Man...How can that slip my mind?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 14th 2004, 9:55 am

This is true. If Pauly Shore's work can get released, where the hell are my Parker Lewis DVD's.....dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man