Morrissey speaks his mind.

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Morrissey speaks his mind.

Post by fnordboy » Jun 8th 2004, 4:41 pm

This might have to be moved to the Politics forum, but figured since it is Morrissey I will post it here:

Original Source: Manchester Online
'Bush should have died, not Reagan': Morrissey

MANCHESTER music legend Morrissey sparked controversy when he announced Ronald Reagan's death live on stage during a concert - and then declared he wished it was George Bush who had died instead.

Thousands of fans at Dublin Castle, in Ireland, cheered when the ex-Smiths frontman made the announcement that the former American president, who had battled with Alzheimer's Disease, had passed away.

And an even bigger cheer followed when Morrissey - who is no stranger to controversy - then said he wished it had been the current President, George W Bush, who had died.

Fan Tony Murray said: "He commented about the death of Ronald Reagan and when he wished that it was George W instead the crowd went wild."

The Dublin concert was the latest leg of Morrissey's European tour, which began at the M.E.N. Arena last month when the ever-popular performer made his first appearance in the city for 12 years.

He is due to appear at the Move festival at Old Trafford cricket ground next month.

A spokesman for Morrissey's record label, Sanctuary Records, said: "We do not have a recording of the gig, but as far as we can tell, Morrissey was just alerting the audience to the fact that Ronald Reagan had died.

"He then simply followed that up with his comment about George Bush, which was his own opinion. He is no stranger to controversy."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 8th 2004, 6:27 pm

NOT a fan of Bush; Feeling sorry for the Reagans; ALWAYS LOVING Morrissey!!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Jun 10th 2004, 10:40 pm

the Dixie Chics were way ahead of their time. Natalie Maines kicks ass. I agreed with her then and now.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 11th 2004, 3:02 am

Regardless of my feelings for most public figures, I think it is over the line to say that someone else should die or be dead. There are more appropriate ways to say that you don't like someone than to say you wish they had died. Not to mention the bad karma.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 11th 2004, 8:56 am

I read this yesterday and was like WOW, that was rough... I agree w/ Candygirl that he could have made his point a little more tactfully. I do like Morrissey though.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 11th 2004, 2:49 pm

I did forget to mention in my previous post that I am a Morrissey fan as well.

:mrgreen:

I just think it's incredibly disgusting to say someone should die because you disagree with them. I always think of the family. Seeing Nancy Reagan grieve this past week - I mean, how can you wish that on someone else? I can't imagine someone who hates Bush walking up to his daughters and saying, "Your dad deserves to DIE because I don't like his politics."

:cry:

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive right now because there has been a lot of hospital time/illness/death in my family recently, but death is not something I think people should wish upon others. If he had simply said, "Bush is a self-righteous asshole," I would have no problem with that. You can insult someone and express your disdain for them without bringing death into it.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 11th 2004, 9:02 pm

candygirl wrote:I just think it's incredibly disgusting to say someone should die because you disagree with them.
I totally hear that and certainly agree.

On a lighter note though, you've just got to love a guy who sings about the sin of plagarism!
You say: "ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
and you claim these words as your own
but I've read well, and I've heard them said
a hundred times, maybe less, maybe more
If you must write prose and poems
the words you use should be your own
don't plagiarise or take "on loans"
there's always someone, somewhere
with a big nose, who knows
and who trips you up and laughs
when you fall
who'll trip you up and laugh
when you fall
You say: "ere long done do does did"
words which could only be your own
and then you then produce the text
from whence was ripped some dizzy whore, 1804
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !