how old are the fans? (aka am I the oldest one?)

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 6th 2004, 8:02 pm

How are all these 15 and 16 year-olds finding the show? Do you just see it on the shelves in stores and just think, "hey that looks like something I might like"? I keep reading posts from people who visit this site but have never seen the show, or new fans who have just seen the show since its release on DVD. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that the show is still atracting fans so many years after it ended, I was just wondering how all these new fans are coming across it -- I wouldn't think there's too much word of mouth. (True MSCL appears in the occasional article or brief allusions from other TV shows, but that doesn't seem to account for it.)
Just curious. :D
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 6th 2004, 11:04 pm

The show is now airing on the Noggin network. So, some people are seeing it there for the first time. Plus, some of the younger kids might have seen the show after their older siblings turned them on to it. Some of them might have also purchased the DVDs without even seeing the show. I remember the cashier at Best Buy reading the box when I bought my set. "This looks like a good show," she said.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Jun 7th 2004, 4:55 am

Forty-five here. I'm thoroughly enjoying picking it up again on The N each weekend, being moved by it all over again, on about my sixth or seventh go-round for each. The commercials are mostly in-house ads, and that's a lot less intrusive than what MTV did in 1995, when I first saw it. Unlike a few cable-channel showings since, not one word has been cut -- that I can assure newer viewers about.

I haven't seen this much of it in six or seven years. It's hard to get to my tapes, and I don't have a DVD set at the moment, but those are long and boring stories *sigh*
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 7th 2004, 4:57 am

Yeah, MSCL is currently having some kind of "renaissance". We can see it on the MSCL.com statistics. The access figures on MSCL.com are as high as back in late 2002, when the AU DVD s**t hit the fan. We have currently around 11,000 page hits per day, that's almost twice the amount of June 2003.

So there's probably an entire new generation of MSCL fans out there now, hopefully they'll fall in love with the show just like we did and keep the spirit of MSCL alive for the next ten years :-)

intergalactic66
Frozen Embryo

Post by intergalactic66 » Jun 20th 2004, 11:37 am

Good see to mscl is attracting so many different age groups, I'm 27 and thought I was a bit sad being so into it! But since I bought the dvd set loads of friends have commented on what a great show it was and how thay want the dvd too. I'll never get bored of it, it's the most convincing acting ever and is a refreshing change to the teen programmes based on being the most popular person at school, it's real. Now, if only i could receive my long lost mscl lunchbox...... Doh!

Post by Guest » Jun 21st 2004, 2:25 pm

How are all these 15 and 16 year-olds finding the show? Do you just see it on the shelves in stores and just think, "hey that looks like something I might like"? I keep reading posts from people who visit this site but have never seen the show, or new fans who have just seen the show since its release on DVD. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that the show is still atracting fans so many years after it ended, I was just wondering how all these new fans are coming across it -- I wouldn't think there's too much word of mouth. (True MSCL appears in the occasional article or brief allusions from other TV shows, but that doesn't seem to account for it.)
Just curious.
im 15 and the reason why i bought the DVD set is because i saw The-N premiere of my so-called life and began to like it..

CanyonCrow
Tino

Man, I thought I was old

Post by CanyonCrow » Jun 22nd 2004, 1:39 pm

Whoa, 15 and 16 year olds... I'm 17 and I feel old while watching the show. I guess its because I've loved the show since I was 7 even though I didn't understand it, I thought it was COOL! I haven't watched ABC since they cancelled it (the bastards), and MTV just sucks anyway. But it's great to know 15 year olds and even 30 somethings watch the show. Though the thought of all these youngsters makes me feel 30 something.

Post by Guest » Jun 24th 2004, 5:07 am

I'm 18. I was too young to really watch and understand the show at nine years old when it originally aired on ABC, and I didn't pick it up until I bought the DVD box set for my sister on Christmas '02 and got hooked on it myself. I've thanked my sister every day since. :D

Leo
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Leo » Jun 24th 2004, 5:11 am

Anonymous wrote:I'm 18. I was too young to really watch and understand the show at nine years old when it originally aired on ABC, and I didn't pick it up until I bought the DVD box set for my sister on Christmas '02 and got hooked on it myself. I've thanked my sister every day since. :D
By the way, this is my post. I forgot to log in before posting ... silly me. :P I'm a newbie. *waves*
Let's Bolt!

meg

Post by meg » Jun 24th 2004, 10:31 pm

I am the youngest one, 12!

momgirl

your so-called middle-aged fan

Post by momgirl » Jul 12th 2004, 10:18 pm

In 1994 I was 33 yo and a big fan of the recently cancelled "30-something." So when "MSCL" showed up I had to check it out. It blew my mind. At the time, my twin daughters were two, and I remember thinking "wouldn't it be amazing if this show could be around for them in ten or twelve years?"

And then there was Noggin. The three of us -- me and my now almost-thirteen yo girls -- have had a MSCL journey this spring, and now into summer (of course I had to buy the DVDs so we could watch them over and over.) Rediscovering the show through the eyes of my daughters has been a wonderful, moving experience. Both of them fret about Brian, are happy that Sharon and Angela become friends again, and wish that they could have a pal like Rickie. And can I admit that this now 43 yo and mother of pre-adolescents can even identify with Patty from time to time?

The show is even better than I remember it. Unflinching, honest (brutally and painfully at times), well-written, beautifully acted, it is eons better than anything we've had on television since. It stinks that we only had 19 episodes, but how much richer we are for having them.

xxbunniluvxx

that is soo sweet

Post by xxbunniluvxx » Jul 13th 2004, 10:21 am

that is soo sweet "momgirl"...by the way im a twin!! hope your daughters will grow up watching it like i have..

momgirl

thanks, bunniluv...

Post by momgirl » Jul 13th 2004, 4:49 pm

I think indeed that my daughters are hooelessly hooked! Just today one of them figured out how to play "I call her Red" on the guitar....and it's all I've been hearing since! :)

Post by Guest » Jul 14th 2004, 6:12 pm

I am 28. Watched every episode back in 1994-1995 while pregnant with my firs dd. Watching them all again on the N this yr!

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jul 14th 2004, 6:35 pm

I'm a twin too!!... except my twin brother doesn't know what i see in this great show... probably because he doesn't really like drama. Then again, I never cared for drama much either, except for My So-Called Life. I think I got turned onto it while watching MTV, expecting to see Beavis and Butt-Head or The Maxx or something.... and MSCL came on, and I watched it. Then, I watched it more and more. Then they stopped airing and I forgot about it. Now I watch it on The-N, and I'm trying to get my hands on the DVD. It's a damn good show, indeed.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)