The Substitute

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

The Substitute

Post by Guest » May 31st 2004, 9:05 am

Even though I come from England, when I first saw the episode "The Substitute," I instantly thought I recognised something slightly odd about "the substitute" teacher's accent. I did a web search the other day and it turns out the actor who played the part is an Englishman himself. I am curious whether you Americans noticed anything odd about his accent. Did it sound fake to you? Did you even notice?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 31st 2004, 9:24 am

Yes, Roger Rees didn't play down his accent much for that role, but Americans are used to a fairly diverse culture, so it probably didn't make much difference. Incidentally, Mid-Western Americans, not Englishman, supposedly pronounce the language closest to its dictionary listings and thus are considered the only modern English speakers without a significant accent. Of course, with the trend of increasingly global communications and entertainment, it is likely that future generations will have rather muddled or blended accents.

:idea:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 31st 2004, 6:36 pm

I didn't think anything of his accent because I knew him previously from Cheers.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Jun 1st 2004, 4:26 am

I did`nt notice but looking back on it I can tell.
There`s Something About My Life....