Tru Calling

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Tru Calling

Post by lance » Nov 10th 2003, 11:34 am

I was thinking about watching this series starting this Thursday.

Has anybody seen it? What do think about the show so far?

LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 10th 2003, 12:02 pm

I haven't seen any episodes except for the early pilot, which was not very exciting (well, maybe except for Eliza ;-)). The pilot episode was in some parts a cheap "Run, Lola, Run"-ripoff. But I heard that most of the scenes where Eliza was originally running through the city in the pilot episode have been reshot for the final air version: She now has a car.

And in the end, the show will be cancelled at the end of this season -- it's still FOX after all. :evil:

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 10th 2003, 12:06 pm

I watched the first episode, it was okay, I planned on watching the second, but I forgot to record it. Its definitely worth checking out, but I am still unsure whether I love/like it.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 11th 2003, 3:13 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:I haven't seen any episodes except for the early pilot, which was not very exciting (well, maybe except for Eliza ;-)). The pilot episode was in some parts a cheap "Run, Lola, Run"-ripoff. But I heard that most of the scenes where Eliza was originally running through the city in the pilot episode have been reshot for the final air version: She now has a car.

And in the end, the show will be cancelled at the end of this season -- it's still FOX after all. :evil:
...Of course the upside on that might be that Eliza is open to take other parts, say maybe another Buffy spin off?

-Lance

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 11th 2003, 5:11 pm

I actually haven't watched Buffy in years, but I was actually thinking the same thing. If this show tanks we might get a Buffy spin off starring Eliza. I would definitely watch that; I loved faith's character on Buffy.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 27th 2004, 4:47 am

Well, Tru Calling got renewed for a 2nd season, so no "Faith" Spin-Off in the near future.

And the Hollywood Reporter reports (yay, the "reporter reports". Where's my thesaurus when I need it? ;-)) that writer Jane Espenson ("Buffy", "Firefly") is leaving "Gilmore Girls" and will be the new Co-Executive Producer for "Tru Calling".

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 27th 2004, 8:55 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:Well, Tru Calling got renewed for a 2nd season, so no "Faith" Spin-Off in the near future.

And the Hollywood Reporter reports (yay, the "reporter reports". Where's my thesaurus when I need it? ;-)) that writer Jane Espenson ("Buffy", "Firefly") is leaving "Gilmore Girls" and will be the new Co-Executive Producer for "Tru Calling".
Great news. I have come to really like this show. Nice to have something to look foward to, even if we won't see a new episode until...November (ugh).

-LanceMan

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » May 30th 2004, 10:58 pm

Sammi wrote:I actually haven't watched Buffy in years, but I was actually thinking the same thing. If this show tanks we might get a Buffy spin off starring Eliza. I would definitely watch that; I loved faith's character on Buffy.
I heard her say on Carson that she was offered a Buffy spinoff but her heart was no longer with the character and wanted to start something new.
There`s Something About My Life....

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 23rd 2004, 4:54 am

tvshowsondvd reports that S1 of Tru Calling will be released on DVD on November 30!
Disc 1
Pilot with optional commentary by Creator/Executive Producer Jon Harmon Feldman, Executive Producer Dawn Parouse, Actors Eliza Dushku and Shawn Reaves
Putting Out Fires
Brother's Keeper
Past Tense

Disc 2 (Commentary TBD)
Haunted
Star Crossed
Morning After
Closure

Disc 3
Murder in the Morgue
Reunion
The Longest Day with optional commentary by Creator/Executive Producer Jon Harmon Feldman, Executive Producer Dawn Parouse, Actors Eliza Dushku and Shawn Reaves
Valentine

Disc 4
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Daddy's Girl with optional commentary by Creator/Executive Producer Jon Harmon Feldman, Actors Eliza Dushku and Zach Galifianakis
The Getaway
Two Pair

Disc 5 (Commentary TBD)
Death Becomes Her
Rear Window
D.O.A.

Disc 6
Two Weddings and a Funeral with optional commentary by Creator/Executive Producer Jon Harmon Feldman, Actors Eliza Dushku and Zach Galifianakis
Extras:
3 featurettes
"Finding the Calling"
"The Tru Path"
"Evil Comes Calling"
Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Creator/Executive Producer Jon Harmon Feldman
Audition selects
Music Video - "Somebody Help Me" by Full Blown Rose
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 24th 2004, 10:21 pm

Candygirl,

Thanks for the news. With Buffy Season 7 and the Chronicles of Riddick due out, November is going to be an expensive but nice month.

-LanceMan

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 25th 2004, 7:43 am

I just watched this show for the first time this week. Some stations have been airing it in the afternoons because of Olympic coverage. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the show would be completely terrible and really I had only thought of it as an obsticle to a Faith spinoff.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 25th 2004, 8:00 am

grim4746 wrote:I just watched this show for the first time this week. Some stations have been airing it in the afternoons because of Olympic coverage. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the show would be completely terrible and really I had only thought of it as an obsticle to a Faith spinoff.
The first five or six episodes are really bad IMHO, the unaired pilot was a poor "Run, Lola, Run" ripoff with Eliza running and running and running... They removed most of her running scenes in the final pilot. The episode where the med students kill each other just to reanimate them after 60 seconds is the climax of bad writing. But it gets slowly better after that. When Jason Priestly enters the show in the last few episodes and some bigger kind of story arc develops, it's really watchable. I have high hopes for season 2 - the new co-producer Jane Espenson said in an interview, that she also noticed many weaknesses in season 1 and that season 2 will focus more on a multi-episode story arc than on an "adventure of the week". And Jane Espenson is a really good writer - so it can only get better from here :)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 26th 2004, 9:52 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:
grim4746 wrote:I just watched this show for the first time this week. Some stations have been airing it in the afternoons because of Olympic coverage. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the show would be completely terrible and really I had only thought of it as an obsticle to a Faith spinoff.
The first five or six episodes are really bad IMHO, the unaired pilot was a poor "Run, Lola, Run" ripoff with Eliza running and running and running... They removed most of her running scenes in the final pilot. The episode where the med students kill each other just to reanimate them after 60 seconds is the climax of bad writing. But it gets slowly better after that. When Jason Priestly enters the show in the last few episodes and some bigger kind of story arc develops, it's really watchable. I have high hopes for season 2 - the new co-producer Jane Espenson said in an interview, that she also noticed many weaknesses in season 1 and that season 2 will focus more on a multi-episode story arc than on an "adventure of the week". And Jane Espenson is a really good writer - so it can only get better from here :)
Most of the positive reviews of the show I have read start out, "I didn't really want to like this show but..." The show has grown on me over time. This fall Tru Calling and Cold Case will be shows that I am looking forward to watching.

-LanceMan

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 27th 2004, 1:04 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:
Thanks for the tip. The episode I watched must have been one of the later ones because Jason Priestly was there. The 'victim' in the ep I saw was Chris Berensen and there were indications of bigger story archs going on, mainly with Jason Priestly. I never would have thought Priestly would be an improvment to a show. Jane Espenson however is amazing, I look forward to seeing what she'll do with this show.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 27th 2004, 1:50 pm

I am going to have to set this show in my tivo. I never was interested in it too much, but now that I am a full blown Buffy/Angel fan (thanks to you bastards!) I might have to give it a chance. I'll test a few eps out and see if I like it, then maybe go for the DVD set. :P