The wonder years on dvd

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Frances Farmer
Nicky Driscoll

The wonder years on dvd

Post by Frances Farmer » May 7th 2004, 12:32 pm

Ok when will they get with it and release the wonder years on dvd. Anyone got any info on that or anything?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 7th 2004, 2:26 pm

As discussed in several different threads, the musical clearances are a major factor preventing shows like the Wonder Years from being released on DVD. At this point, the chances are slim to none because the music would cost so much. I would love for the ironic segue fairy to contradict me and tell me that all six seasons will be released with the music intact, but it's not looking good. They do have a best of DVD, as well as a DVD of the Christmas episodes, but that's it.

I feel like I am constantly reposting this article, but it's a good one and addresses the issue of musical clearances for tv shows on DVD. It was originally posted at mscl.com by Sascha in reference to Freaks & Geeks, a DVD set which is a ray of hope. I guess the big question is would you rather pay an arm and a leg to get a DVD set with all the original music or get something like Felicity where the music is replaced? Unfortunately it looks like some shows are opting for "none of the above."

http://www.computeruser.com/articles/22 ... 01,03.html
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Frances Farmer
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Frances Farmer » May 8th 2004, 12:13 am

That blows man, the wonders years is such a great show, they do use so much music. I wish they could come to some agreement.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 8th 2004, 5:08 am

Me too! I used to watch the syndicated reruns every chance I had. I remember when they used to show it four times a day. Then the Family Channel bought the rights :evil:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Frances Farmer
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Frances Farmer » May 15th 2004, 11:18 pm

I know that was great when they showed it four times a day on tnn, and I was into it again and it was getting towards the last few episodes, and then it went off the air. And that shitty fox family bought it and f***ed it up but putting in 3 or 4 extra commercial breaks which totally messed up the flow of the series. It stinks too because I have part one of the final episode, but not part two, which is why I want it on damn dvd, music copyright s**t.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 16th 2004, 5:09 pm

And I remember when the Family Channel initially aired the Wonder Years, it was on four times a day but then they whittled it down to two and then it just disappeared from the schedule. Bastards!

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » May 17th 2004, 5:22 am

The only episode I remember is when Kevin's sister burned her bra in the sink! And Kevin's brother was a real bully to him... but that was probably a thread which ran through the entire series.

I would love to see it again though. I get the impression I'd appreciate it more so now.

Debs x
Mom. Streamers?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 24th 2004, 10:53 pm

So a dear friend of mine bought me the Wonder Years DVDs that people sell on Ebay, I was SO excited to get them in the mail today, then I rememebered that my Mac won't play them (my only DVD player is in my laptop). I am so sad! This might just be what pushes me to purchasing a real DVD player. Damn, I was really hoping not to have to do that. But you know, it is the Wonder Years.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 26th 2004, 12:12 am

So I went to look at DVD players, but then I was too overwhelmed with all the hook up cables and everything and had to leave. But I watched a couple episodes at my friend's, I AM LOVING THEM! :!:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

foolishoptimist
Three Rivers Resident

Post by foolishoptimist » Jun 6th 2004, 5:43 am

I absolutely love this show! Watching it, totally takes me back to when I was little. I'd pay whatever they wanted to get this show with the music. I can't believe anyone would consider removing or changing the music in this show. The music was so pivotal, unlike in shows today, the music totally set the period of the show.

I have like almost every episode on tape(only missing 8 I think), but I never get to watch it because my girlfriend hates it.

at least with the dvd's I could watch it in the computer room.
The sun's outside the window trying to show us we're all being stupid. All you have to do is look around.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 31st 2004, 12:10 am

ah, the world of entertainment. everyone has to get a piece of the money, and then find a way to get some more. they get so hung up on everyone getting credit and how you have to pay to use anything. but what they miss is that it's actually publicity. especially with older music that you don't readily hear anymore. if I saw an ep of The Wonder Years and was reminded of the great music, I might just go out and buy some of the artists' music. doesn't that sort of make sense?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 22nd 2005, 5:03 pm

As discussed here (as well as this thread), the music seems to be the hold up in releasing The Wonder Years on DVD.

There may be some hope though! News from tvshowsondvd:
(Note: sung to the tune of " With A Little Help From My Friends" , and with apologies to Joe Cocker, as well as to The Beatles):
What would you do, if I subbed out your tunes?
Would you give up, boycott these DVDs?
Lend me your ears, I've got good news for you,
Fox will try not to screw up this thing!
That's just our fun way of bringing up what ought to be good news! The new edition (2/25/2005) of Entertainment Weekly magazine has a story about The Wonder Years, in their semi-regular feature about television shows that ought to be on DVD, but aren't yet.

TVShowsOnDVD doesn't usually cover topics mentioned in their column, because it normally involves some wishful thinking rather than any actual plans. And much of the time any "plans" mentioned are something along the lines of "the studio is mulling a release of this item in the coming year" (nothing set in stone, in other words). But this time the word is a bit different.

This issue of Entertainment Weekly quotes Fox Home Entertainment's Senior Vice President of Marketing & Communications, Mr. Steve Feldstein, as saying "We've got it on the schedule, but there are hurdles to clear prior to a firm release date."

"On the schedule" sounds pretty good to us, how about you? In all likelihood, the "hurdles" would start with all the music licensing that would have to occur in order to present the show on DVD the same way it was originally broadcast. According to the EW story, that is precisely the way the people who were behind the production of The Wonder Years wants to see these episodes brought home. Us too, and we're sure we speak for most of you as well. It will be worth waiting a little bit longer (and even paying a little bit more, like with Freaks and Geeks) to get this the way it *should* be seen.

Fox, do us proud! Fans, stay tuned. We'll let you know of any developments that occur as time goes by.

In the meantime, if you want a neat little Wonder Years "reunion" of sorts, check out the newly released DVD of the animated series Justice League Unlimited. One episode on this disc, "Hawk & Dove", features the voice of Fred Savage ("Kevin Arnold") as Hawk/Hank Hall, and the voice of Jason Hervey ("Wayne Arnold") as Dove/Don Hall! And, to completely cool things out on the Wonder Years front for this disc, a separate episode features the superhero team temporarily getting the help of the evil sorcerous Morgaine Le Fey in the story "Kid Stuff". Le Fey is voiced by none other than Olivia d'Abo (who played older sister "Karen Arnold"). Groovy!