The band Residue

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

The band Residue

Post by Guest » May 17th 2004, 11:01 pm

Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts about the name Residue…

Residue… maybe just as random as Tino’s name Frozen Embryos, definitely not as funny as “Between Names” …

I guess the semi-obvious motivation for the name is that the remaining band numbers are left over from Frozen Embryos (not to mention how greasy Jordan’s hair looks in this episode :lol: ), but I wanted to hear if anybody had any funny theories about the band names and their significance

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 17th 2004, 11:05 pm

:oops: Oops, that was me, I forgot to log in, that was my silly question about the band names.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » May 17th 2004, 11:50 pm

As far as Frozen Embryos goes, there were a lot of biotechnology advances in the news around the early 90's, as well as popular science fiction on the subject (anybody remember that cool cryogenically stored alien fetus on The X-Files or the dinosaur DNA-in-a-can from Jurassic Park?) so I suppose the phrase would have been tossed around in pop culture.

The basic guidelines for garage band name selection are that it must sound cool, but remain vague enough for the fans to supply their own meaning. Of course, you could just use a name that sounds like a more famous group and hope that naive youngsters will be gullible enough to spend their cash on your merchandise instead of the real thing: "Whoah! The Great, Full, Un-Dead! My parents used to listen to them. I think they're, like, collector's items now!"

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 18th 2004, 1:01 am

Yes, I am oh so familiar with the vague and seemingly meaningful names of garage bands. I once dated a guy in a band named "Sex Exit". At first it sounds almost cool because of the consonance, but it means nothing and is just lame. Their lyrics were just as bad. (We didn't last that long. But I still have the CD, it makes a great story!)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 14th 2006, 9:21 pm

So I've never been very good with music genres and classifying and labeling music, I doubt I could classify my own collection if I tried, so I'm not going to pretend know what I'm talking about: what music is Jordan in to? His band covers a Ramones song, but the band at the party in the pilot, and the music playing in Jordan's car definitely doesn't sound punk to me. I guess it's probably grunge, given the period of the show, but it seems to intense(?) to me. Is it hardcore, is it metal? Besides the Ramones do Jordan and his friends listen to other early punk bands? He doesn't seem like he's listening to post-punk or, what seems to me to be a massively huge category of alternative.

On a slightly different topic, did anyone else ever think that the appearance of Jordan's friends didn't really seem to fit with him? Neither the long haired rockers nor the motorcycle riders seemed to me like Jordan's likely friends.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 15th 2006, 1:35 am

Oh, my second question, which I forgot to post the first time, was: if Jordan continues to pursue music as he grows up, what kind of music do you think he might evolve into? Is it safe to say that 30 Seconds to Mars is strictly Jared and Shannon and not Jordan and Shane?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 17th 2006, 2:23 am

I think that perhaps Jordan listens to many types of rock, ranging from grunge to punk to alternative. Remember that he also wrote the song "Red" in the episode Why Jordan Can't Read. It borders on country (actually, from the style of his singing and the content - "yeah, my car" - I'd say it almost IS country!). I can think of two times we hear music coming from his car radio: The Afghan Whigs song "Fountain and Fairfax" and "South Carolina" by Archers of Loaf (please correct me if I'm wrong... it's been a while since I watched!). Once was in the episode Dancing in the Dark when Jordan comes to Brian's house and the second time is in the episode Life of Brian when he drives away from Angela after they were talking about the dance and philosophy.

I know that in the episode Dancing in the Dark, there was music playing in the car when Jordan, Rayanne, and Rickie pulled up to Brian's house, but I can't remember what it was. Guess I'll have to pull out my dvd's again!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

oaksand
Overlooked Sibling

Post by oaksand » May 17th 2006, 12:12 pm

I think it's possible 30stm could be Jordan and Shane as it is not poppy but quite raw and semi grungy- Jordan dressed better than I have seen Jared doing recently!