Ms. Meyhew

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Chivas

Ms. Meyhew

Post by Chivas » Feb 13th 2004, 9:26 pm

In the pilot, when Angela talks to Ms. Meyhew, I don't know if it was my interpretation, but the teacher really takes in what Angela was talking about...Simply by the look in her face, you can see that she began to realize things. As if a blindfold was released from her eyes.

Why did she leave the school?
My interpretation of this has to do with that one talk Meyhew had with Angela. I think Angela, not on purpose, caused Meyhew to question her role in the school and in life in general. I think it is here that we realize the power her words have on other people...

I don't know...What do you all think? What explanations do you have for Mayhew leaving the school?

Post by Guest » Feb 19th 2004, 4:46 pm

Idon't like her, mainly because of her bra strap

Post by Guest » Feb 19th 2004, 6:16 pm

:lol:

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 12th 2004, 8:30 pm

Practical explanation: it was the pilot and she was an extra.

Story's explanation (I think, I'd have to go back and check to be sure they weren't talking about another teacher): She gave up, or rather got fed up, and quit. (Speaking as a high school English teacher, sometimes it's tempting!

I don't think that Angela's take on the high school scene, and the futility of a yearbook provided Ms. Mayhew with any kind of epiphany. Yes, I think that she is listening to what Angela is saying, but I do not think she really gets it, or at least she cannot empathize with it. I'd argue that Angela senses this as well, or she would not have added "in my humble opinion."

A very large portion of the early part of the series is establishing Angela's sense of isolation (which is sometimes desired sometimes not, depending on circumstances). Anyway, I think the point in the pilot is that Angela can't make that connection, she cannot get excited about the yearbook, etc. like the people around her, nor can she get them to understand that about her. Angela's isolation is revisited in "Pressure" when she turns to people in her life to help her say "no", to in a way, give her an out, all of whom fail her [ex: Sharon, her doctor, Graham].
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 12th 2004, 8:38 pm

Anyway, getting back to Mayhew, watch her in the Anne Frank scene, she is annoyed when Jordan walks in late, and she cannot comprehend where Angela is coming from with the "lucky" comment -- she doesn't seem to be having fun. Also in the yearbook voting scene, "People, it's your yearbook not mine ..." she removes herself from the classroom culture, separating herself from the students, "their yearbook" "not hers". While Ms. Mayhew does show concern for her students, i.e. talking to Angela when she notices atypical behavior, she seems disconnected and worn out. Even from a few scenes in one episode there is enough to tell us why she might have left teaching.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » May 13th 2004, 9:54 pm

I personally think she was just fed up of years of teaching and felt like she was getting no where. I think Angela`s words had somewhat of an impact but mostly it was she just wanted to retire and lay low somewhere outside the graffeti ridden walls of school.
There`s Something About My Life....

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 14th 2004, 1:42 am

Um, she's hardly been teaching for years, look at her, she's young. And, again, I seriously doubt her conversation with Angela prompted a life changing decision.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 14th 2004, 1:59 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:And, again, I seriously doubt her conversation with Angela prompted a life changing decision.
I just reread your post, I guess that's not what you ("MyLifeisBrian's") were saying at all. Anyway, I don't think we have anything to make us think she wanted to disappear from life.

It's funny that I've made like 4 posts on this topic, I didn't think I had any opinions on Ms. Mahew. :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 15th 2004, 10:29 pm

Miss Mayhew seems like one of those young, idealistic teachers who was determined to make a difference in the lives of her students but very quickly learned what an uphill battle that is.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SpaceCadet
Tino

Re: Ms. Meyhew

Post by SpaceCadet » Apr 10th 2007, 6:54 pm

Chivas wrote:I think Angela, not on purpose, caused Meyhew to question her role in the school and in life in general. I think it is here that we realize the power her words have on other people...
size]

That was my exact thought. I believe Mayhew really listened to what Angela was saying. She can now see how messed up high school is and how phony it can be. It really could have caused her to rethink her life in general, because i mean, i dont think she would have completely quit her career for any other reason. Maybe she has been thinking about this for awhile and Angela just confirmed it for her.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 24th 2007, 10:34 pm

Everyday I get a little closer to being Ms. Mayhew -- just leaving and having a life of your own. (My bras straps don't show on a regular basis, but my shirt did pop a button on Valentine's day, revealing a semi racy red bra :oops: ). Getting back to what I began saying ... it's shocking how much school culture and society in general demands teachers to dedicate every inch of self to their profession -- it's draining, dismissive, and simultaneously necessary and destructive.
Um, she's hardly been teaching for years, look at her, she's young. And, again, I seriously doubt her conversation with Angela prompted a life changing decision.
Well that came out rude didn't it? Sorry MyLifeisBrian's!