Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 28th 2004, 9:20 pm

candygirl wrote:You can view the cover art for S6 here at tvshowsondvd!
Sweet. Yet another reason to look forward to May. Especially given the impending swarm of Cicadas that will force most of us here in Cincinnati indoors.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 7th 2004, 9:23 pm

Hey all,

The actress who played Tara, Amber Benson-?, is on right now on CBS cold case. She is playing the flashback sequences of one of two murdered victims. Pretty good.

-LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 8th 2004, 1:22 pm

Speaking of SMG in Juon, here are an onset photo and a set visit:

http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_art ... ge_750.jpg

and

http://www.chud.com/news/mar04/mar7grudge.php3

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 10th 2004, 6:01 am

Updated list of commentaries (source: zetaminor):

Lessons - Joss Whedon and David Solomon
Selfless - Drew Goddard and David Solomon
Conversations With Dead People - Nick Marck, Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Danny Strong and Tom Lenk
The Killer in Me - David Solomon and Drew Z. Greenberg
Lies My Parents Told Me - David Fury, Drew Goddard, James Marsters and D.B. Woodside
Dirty Girls - Drew Goddard and Nicholas Brendon
Chosen - Joss Whedon

The S7 overview featurette, titled Full Circle, is 36 minutes long. The R2 release will also include the DVD-ROM Demon Guide (which appeared on the R1 S5 set). You can view some of the R2 menu screenshots here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 14th 2004, 11:12 am

candygirl wrote:Updated list of commentaries (source: zetaminor):

The S7 overview featurette, titled Full Circle, is 36 minutes long. The R2 release will also include the DVD-ROM Demon Guide (which appeared on the R1 S5 set). You can view some of the R2 menu screenshots here.
Wow! That's a heck of an overview. Very cool, sounds like Joss & co are pulling out all the stops on this final DVD set.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 25th 2004, 7:18 am

Info from zetaminor about the S7 DVD extras:
Disc six contains the bulk of the set's bonus features:

It's titled Season 7 Overview - Buffy: Full Circle (36m) on the menu screen, but this featurette is actually called Full Circle: Buffy's Final Season on screen. This is the customary summary of the season. It includes contributions from many of the key behind the scenes crew members, including lesser-spotted Executive Story Editor Rebecca Rand Kirshner, writer Drew Goddard and Story Editor Drew Z. Greenberg. Cast members contributing include Alyson Hannigan (yay!), James Marsters, Michelle Trachtenberg, Tom Lenk and D.B. Woodside. Sarah Michelle Gellar is, as usual, conspicuous by her absence.

Buffy Wraps (5m) is footage from the show's wrap party, featuring interviews with Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon and many of the cast members, including some from the show's earlier seasons. It seems that Sarah Michelle Gellar's invitation got lost in the post.

Outtakes (4m) is a fun collection of goofy moments and fluffed lines. You'll get to see dancing uber-vamps, Nicholas Brendon having a sneeze attack, and a bit more of the Troika as gods. No Sarah Michelle Gellar was harmed during the making of this segment.

Generation S (8m) focuses on the Potentials, and includes interviews with Felicia Day (Vi), Iyari Limon (Kennedy), Indigo (Rona) and Sarah Hagan (Amanda). Ms Gellar did not require a limo to take her to the set the day this was filmed.

The Last Sundown (9m) is "Joss Whedon's look back at his ten favourite episodes in the Buffy mythology and his thoughts on bringing the acclaimed series to life and to a close". Sarah's Make-up Supervisor took the day off.

Easter Egg (1m) accessible from the Featurettes menu - The Gift montage.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

YvBaBy
Jody Barsh

Post by YvBaBy » Apr 6th 2004, 5:55 am

I'm a HuGe buffy fan...i watched every episode and was pretty sad when it ended
a lot of people don't like season 5/6/7 because of too much "psychologial stuff" and stuff like that...but i think that seasons were great, buffy got better from season to season
and i'm buying buffy dvds every now and then, but there quite expensive aren't they
well it's good value for money though
ImageImage

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Apr 6th 2004, 1:39 pm

I sort of agree about the later seasons. I really enjoyed 5 and 6. 7 I didn't like that much but maybe I will after seeing it on DVD. I purchased the pack including seasons 1-4 for only $150 (canadian) which was a freakin amazing price. It involved a bit of double dipping but now I have an extra season 2 to give as a gift. After watching them all right away I went out and bought season 5 (which was half the price I paid for the first 4 seasons put together). Now I'm having trouble waiting until the end of may for season 6.
I've found that I like the series even more on DVD than I did watching it on tv or on my computer. I hardly find Dawn annoying at all and actually enjoyed her addition to the show. I'm a little embarassed to admit that I don't hate Riley half as much as I did a month ago. I'm hoping my new found tolerance will carry over the the SITs once season 7 is out on DVD though i'm a bit doubtful. But hell if I can come to appreciate Riley's character anything is possible.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2004, 3:54 pm

Haha, good luck with that! It would be nice if the SiTs weren't as annoying on DVD, but I'm not counting on it. I will be buying S7 on DVD because I am a completist, and I will most likely do my BtVS/AtS tradition of making myself watch the entire season in its entirety at least once all the way through, but I have a feeling after the initial run through it will just gather dust.

I liked S5, and I appreciated the journey that Buffy went through in S6, but S7 was just a big sloppy mess. I will buy it just to have it, but I am pretty sure that it will not inspire the multiple viewings that the other seasons do. Like someone at the TWoP board said, they can make me buy S7 but they can't make me watch it! :wink:

I am still stuck on disc 4 of S5. Even though my dad is recovering, I haven't worked up the nerve to watch The Body. I was thinking about starting back up again, but I just went to a funeral last weekend so Buffy is on hold again.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 6th 2004, 6:30 pm

candygirl wrote:Haha, good luck with that! It would be nice if the SiTs weren't as annoying on DVD, but I'm not counting on it. I will be buying S7 on DVD because I am a completist, and I will most likely do my BtVS/AtS tradition of making myself watch the entire season in its entirety at least once all the way through, but I have a feeling after the initial run through it will just gather dust.

I liked S5, and I appreciated the journey that Buffy went through in S6, but S7 was just a big sloppy mess. I will buy it just to have it, but I am pretty sure that it will not inspire the multiple viewings that the other seasons do. Like someone at the TWoP board said, they can make me buy S7 but they can't make me watch it! :wink:

I am still stuck on disc 4 of S5. Even though my dad is recovering, I haven't worked up the nerve to watch The Body. I was thinking about starting back up again, but I just went to a funeral last weekend so Buffy is on hold again.
I got through Season 5. I am getting Season 6 because there are a couple of really good episodes IMHO. Season 7 I will eventually get, I am hoping that I will like it more watching it straight through without those pesky weeks of re-runs we had to endure last year.

-LanceMan

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Apr 7th 2004, 8:13 am

I know what you mean about holding off on watching "the body". Right now my mom is sick and having a bunch of tests. Hopefully it won't be anything too bad, but not knowing isn't easy. It's an emotial episode anyway but when you feel yourself relating to it and are afraid of relating to it even more it's really hard to get through.
Season 7 is a big sloppy mess but I'm hoping the highlights will come across more emphasized when I watch it in a solid block when I get the dvd's. Andrew being around is one of my favorite things about season 7. Though it wasn't my favorite Nathan Fillion role he is great and I think Dawn was at her least annoying during season 7. Hmmm, I think I've run out of things about season 7 that give me reason to look forward to the eventual dvd realease.
Having just finished season 5, I've been thinking a bit about the whole Dawn situation. Joss said that in Buffy's dream with Faith it is supposed to be a reference to Dawn when Faith says something about Little Miss Muffet. Then the first crazy guy in season 5 to have an encounter with Dawn makes some allusion to "curds and whey". Does anyone know what that's all about? Is there any significance to the Miss Muffet reference?

YvBaBy
Jody Barsh

Post by YvBaBy » Apr 7th 2004, 10:41 am

the only season i didn't really like was the first season! except some episodes...
I'm a little embarassed to admit that I don't hate Riley half as much as I did a month ago
really? i mean at the beginning in season 4 he was cool, but then he got really on my nerves I don't know why
and I even never liked angel...I still can't understand how so many people could like him
But I really like spike...

but the ones i really hate are the potentals...and i couldn't stand everyone but buffy and spike in "empty places"
ImageImage

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 30th 2004, 1:08 am

From nickbrendon.com:
ACTOR NICHOLAS BRENDON ENTERS REHAB FACILITY

Los Angeles, CA – Actor Nicholas Brendon, best known for portraying Xander on the hit television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, announced today that he has voluntarily entered an alcohol treatment center.

“After realizing that I had a disease that was taking control of my life, I decided that the best way for me to regain my health was to enter a treatment facility,” Brendon said. “I’m grateful for the love and support I’ve gotten from my wife, Tressa; my entire family; my business associates; and my friends."

“Over the past eight years I’ve discovered that Buffy fans are the most caring and supportive fans in the world,” Brendon continued. “Knowing that they will be behind me, rooting for me as I go through this process, makes everything that much easier. I’m looking forward to leading a happy, sober life.”

In addition to his seven seasons on Buffy, Brendon has appeared in the feature film Psycho Beach Party, and most recently starred in the ABC Family Channel movie Celeste in the City.

Brendon has served as the honorary chairperson of the Stuttering Foundation of America's Stuttering Awareness Week for an unprecedented three straight years, from 2001-2003.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 24th 2004, 10:01 am

Though I haven't gotten the Season 6 set yet, from what I have read on other forums from people who have gotten it early there is a flyer in the set that says the season 7 set will be coming out in October! :)

Hopefully I will have the funds tomorrow to pick it up, but it looks like I might have to wait until the end of the week :( And so many good things are coming out this week, damnit.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 26th 2004, 9:37 pm

Yup, the little piece of paper says October! So far I have only watched the OMWF special and the features on the last disc, which were surprisingly long (with the exception of the outtakes). I'd already seen Television with Bite when it aired on A&E, but it was interesting to see it again. The season overview was decent too. My only complaint was that Television with Bite didn't mention Faith or Kendra at all. I thought they would warrant at least a brief blurb in a 40+ minute special.

I don't know if it's just my DVD player, but for some reason I got some weird stuff on my screen. When I clicked on "special features" the list of features showed up in yellow on top of the existing menu. Once I hit "play" and watched the feature, when the screen returned to the special features menu, the entire screen was black except for the title of the feature. When I hit the down arrow, it only showed one title at a time. Very strange. Oh well.

It's funny - I didn't love S6, but seeing it again now after knowing what happens in S7 makes S6 seem THAT much better. Then again, comparing S6 & S7 to most of the dreck on tv these days makes me appreciate some of my least favorite Buffy seasons a lot more. Only one more boxset before my Buffy set is complete!