Firefly DVD and Movie Planned

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 20th 2003, 1:55 pm

candygirl wrote:Would you believe I read at some other forums that some people who filled out the $19.99 preorder slips were still being charged $39.99? Heh, I believe it too.
I have heard that happened before with something else...maybe Forever Knight. I think the only way to fully get away with it is to pay in full on the pre-order. That is what I would do.

Anyway, I watched the first episode of Firefly last night, and part of the second, but fell asleep. I have to say at first I didn't like it. The war scenes that it opened with I thought were "eh" and thought the acting was weak. By the end of the 2hr episode I was hooked though :P

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 5th 2004, 5:43 pm

"Burn the land
And boil the sea.
You can't take the sky from me"

What an amazing show! What an amazing cast! Over the holidays I watched the entire series (including the very entertaining audio commentaries) and the other bonus stuff (the easter egg is hilarious!).

This show made it for sure on my personal list of "favorite tv series ever". Like fnordboy, I had some problems at the beginning - the opening war scenes felt weird. I even checked whether my dvd player accidentially played the wrong chapter. The alternative opening teaser for the pilot (which is included in the deleted scenes on disc 4) is much better IMHO. But anyway, after the third episode, I was hooked & addicted. And after episode four, I started singing the theme song ;-) The show is beautifully shot, "Serenity" is an amazing example for the use of 16:9 on TV.

The audio commentaries are very good - one can really feel how much fun the actors had on the set and how much they enjoyed their work. When Joss gets all philosophical in the commentary for the finale you see the episode under a complete new aspect. Once again, a show that died way too early - there were so many stories still to tell.

Anyway, let's cross our fingers for the planned "Firefly" movie. Nothing is official yet according to a recent interview with Joss. But at least he finished the script last month. Hopefully this movie gets made... I need more of "Kaylee"... ;-)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 5th 2004, 6:01 pm

I really need to get back on this set. I haven't put it back in since my last post. Buffy S5 has sucked me in and I am going through that set way too fast, so I think I will jump over to Firefly again. Between Sascha's post and talking to Gary about this show I am very very interested in it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 26th 2004, 11:46 pm

Joss posted the following at fireflyfans.net:
Dear fan type postguys --

Checking in to say: Rough @%&$#ing week. Trying to work the movie deal, juggling so many balls and dropping them all, basically ending the week going, "I'm done. I'm tapped. Last man down, I don't even think I can do this." Then I hap on this thread, hear all those kick moments and all y'all cooing over them, and I remember why I'm fighting so hard. So when you here dorky sounding things like "The fans' support kept us going", know that on occasion it is not only literally but very specifically true. As in, today. Thanks already.

And, more importantly:

-- Inara on the bed in Mal's room saying "I just hit my head is all". Deep funny.

-- River on the railing. Batgirl!

-- "Little man Loooved fire."

-- "They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled!" "People LOVE those!" Kai made me rewind that four times.

-- "Dear Diary. Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy."

-- "Have you ever been with a warrior woman?"

-- "She ain't moving." When you think Kaylee's talking about Zoe and realize she means Serenity. And every time the lights first flicker in that show I've forgotten what ep I'm in and I get very worried.

-- The part where the crew finds out about River's REAL... oh wait. That's the movie. Never mind.

Or mind in a while.

Thanks again.

-j.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 17th 2004, 4:44 pm

From fireflyfans.net:
This weekend through professional contacts at a trade show, I was able to spend an hour or so with someone who does licensing for Universal.
I brought up the movie project rather slyly, and this is what she said:

1. Definitely in the works.
2. First film meeting was last week.
3. Working title is "Serenity." ("That's the name of the ship," she said.) :-)
4. They are "very excited to be working with Joss Whedon."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 23rd 2004, 3:16 pm

Things are moving forward on the movie front!

Dark Horizons reported today in it's News Bites section that the Universal Poctures web site has a new listing in the thier "coming soon" section - Serenity.

Hopefully, we'll get a more firm announcement in the coming weeks in terms of when it will be released, but this is a very good sign.

Gary
(who loves the title :D)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 4th 2004, 10:57 am

It's official!
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=newswire&id=6442 wrote: CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- Universal Pictures has greenlighted "Serenity," a feature film based on the short-lived FOX series "Firefly." The studio snagged the feature rights to "Firefly" from 20th Century Fox Television back in September (read the story).

Production on the project, budgeted in the mid-eight figures, is set to begin in June for a 2005 release date. Joss Whedon, the show's creator and executive producer, is on board to write and direct the project, which will see all nine original cast members - Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, Adam Baldwin, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, Ron Glass and Alan Tudyk - reprising their roles.

Whedon told Daily Variety the title shift is designed to give the franchise some distance from the TV version. "It was important that people understand that the movie isn't the series," he said. "The movie is bigger, more epic than anything you can do in a series." He also added he went out of his way to make sure the script was accessible to audiences who never tuned into "Firefly." "You're not going to bring people into a movie if you're explaining all the time what happened before," Whedon added.

Details about "Serenity" weren't released however Whedon specified the feature is set about six months after the TV show left off.

Barry Mendel ("Unbreakable," "The Sixth Sense"), Alissa Tager and Mutant Enemy's Chris Buchanan are executive producing the project in addition to Whedon.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 4th 2004, 12:42 pm

Very cool news :D

Do you think this will be an 'alternate' story that takes place within the same universe? He is talking about how he wants it to be accessible to those who have never seen it, so I am thinking he is going to be doing more of a retelling than another story that the crew is involved in.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 4th 2004, 1:50 pm

fnordboy wrote:Do you think this will be an 'alternate' story that takes place within the same universe? He is talking about how he wants it to be accessible to those who have never seen it, so I am thinking he is going to be doing more of a retelling than another story that the crew is involved in.
I thought that too at first, but the quote "the feature is set about six months after the TV show left off" doesn't fit into this concept. I guess that means that the story of "Serenity" will tell a complete new story, but will also re-introduce all characters without building too much on events that happened in the tv series.

It's very difficult to predict a "Joss Whedon" movie - I really couldn't imagine how to put Joss' way of arc-storytelling to the big screen in a feature with "only" 90-100 minutes runtime. I'm sure it will be amazing tho.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 4th 2004, 2:57 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:I thought that too at first, but the quote "the feature is set about six months after the TV show left off" doesn't fit into this concept. I guess that means that the story of "Serenity" will tell a complete new story, but will also re-introduce all characters without building too much on events that happened in the tv series.
d'oh!

Totally missed that line :oops:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 26th 2004, 10:14 am

I just finished watching all the disc's last night. Gawd I love that show. But I guess that since is didn't involve a bunch of spoiled trailer trash yuppies with GED's stuck on a deserted desert farm being forced to lay down in koala bear dung to win the affection of a group of socially inept ubergeese, all the while competing to not be the next one told "You're Stupi...I mean You're Fired!" that it just doesn't measure up to those high television standards we are so lucky to have forced on us by those all knowing 13 year old TV exec. And Yes, thats my final answer!

"In New York city's war on intelligence the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: The Networks, who will do almost anything for ratings and the advertisers who think we need to buy more s**t. These are there stories! Doink Doink!"

Anyway... how do you get to the Easter Egg... I gotta know.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 26th 2004, 11:30 am

mglenn wrote:I just finished watching all the disc's last night. Gawd I love that show. .....
I am halfway through the series and I really like it too. It is nice to see something different than the Buffy/Angel type show from Joss, yet he kept the one great aspect of his shows, the characters and how they interact with each other.

What is the easter egg?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 26th 2004, 1:06 pm

mglenn wrote:I just finished watching all the disc's last night. Gawd I love that show. But I guess that since is didn't involve a bunch of spoiled trailer trash yuppies with GED's stuck on a deserted desert farm being forced to lay down in koala bear dung to win the affection of a group of socially inept ubergeese, all the while competing to not be the next one told "You're Stupi...I mean You're Fired!" that it just doesn't measure up to those high television standards we are so lucky to have forced on us by those all knowing 13 year old TV exec. And Yes, thats my final answer!
Full ACK.
(from dvdtalk.com)
1. Insert Disc 4.
2. From the main menu, select Special Features.
3. Select More.
4. Highlight, but do not select, "Joss Sings the Firefly Theme".
5. Press Left-Arrow, highlighting the ornament above.
6. Press SELECT.

What is the easter egg?
[spoiler]Jayne (Baldwin) singing the entire version of "Hero of Canton". Truly a highlight :-)))[/spoiler]

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 10th 2004, 3:49 pm

Hey folks,

The official "Serenity" website has posted the first production photos in it's blog section. There's only four of them, but they're damn cool.

To the blog!

Gary

p.s. Hmm... should we start a "Serenity" thread in the Movie section, or keep the chat here?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 12th 2004, 2:30 pm

GaryEA wrote:Hey folks,

The official "Serenity" website has posted the first production photos in it's blog section. There's only four of them, but they're damn cool.

To the blog!

Gary

p.s. Hmm... should we start a "Serenity" thread in the Movie section, or keep the chat here?
I vote new thread!

Awesome photos, I can not wait for this movie to come. I might actually step out into the "fresh" air and go to the theater for this one. :shock: I hope it does well when all is said and done so that this is not the final chapter for the Serenity crew.

Thanks Gary.