AU Bonus Materials Discussion (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Feb 9th 2004, 5:01 pm

candygirl wrote:I have read this entire thread and then some, so I know that you have said several times that AU still hasn't replied to your emails. That sucks and I understand your frustration, but I still think that Cornelius should try contacting them. It isn't a magic band-aid that will fix everything, but it has worked for SOME people so it's worth a shot for someone like Cornelius who, to my knowledge, hasn't tried that approach yet.
I definitely agree that it's worth contacting them, if only to build up more of a case of their complete disinterest in serving their customers...er...making things right with their victims. I'm rather curious to hear details from people who contacted them and got results (either communication or bonus materials) so maybe we can figure out if there's some pattern to their actions or some approach to communicating with them that works.

JRjr

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 10th 2004, 3:17 am

From what people have said, it's kind of hit or miss. Dave Reed said that he emailed them and received his bonus materials a week later, but he lives in Sacramento so maybe AU was afraid Dave would drive down and demand his stuff :wink: BrodysMom said he received his bonus stuff a week after emailing them as well. feisty_jenn said that she received her stuff about a month after emailing them (but it was sent via ground shipping to Canada). None of them received any replies to their emails, but Todd B. in Hawaii said that after he emailed them repeatedly, he finally got an email saying they would ship soon, then he got another email with a shipping notice. Lots of us who didn't email/call AU never received email notifications (aside from the mass email in September) - the bonus box just showed up. I'm not complaining that I really wanted another email from them - I'm just saying that I thought the September email was just like the July email, meaning something else to string me along.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Feb 11th 2004, 3:04 am

candygirl wrote:I have read this entire thread and then some, so I know that you have said several times that AU still hasn't replied to your emails. That sucks and I understand your frustration, but I still think that Cornelius should try contacting them. It isn't a magic band-aid that will fix everything, but it has worked for SOME people so it's worth a shot for someone like Cornelius who, to my knowledge, hasn't tried that approach yet.
Wow. At some point, I pretty much accepted my fate as such: I was never going to see any of these bonus materials I paid for (including the T-shirt and gift certificate). I stopped visiting this site as the whole experience did nothing but leave a bad taste in my mouth. Hell, I only watched a few minutes of the first episode a couple weeks ago (to test out the 5.1 mix on my recent home theater system addition). Before that, I haven't watched any of it since the first (and only) marathon back when I first received the set. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is bitter due to this whole ordeal, but unfortunately, it seeped into my actual enjoyment of the show. I'm sorry if my post came off as rude, but I was actually just trying to gauge who had received the bonus materials. I didn't even know anyone was receiving them until very recently, by chance, while looking at another DVD site. Weeks after reports of others receiving their stuff, I figured I had waited enough. So I just posted here to get a clear understanding of where we are. I just wanted to know if I was in a small minority who still hadn't received their stuff, or a large one who hadn't. I'm sorry that I didn't email AU about this, but 1) from past experiences, this seems rather pointless, 2) I'm not even sure where to send said email, and 3) the whole purpose of the post was to see what was going on. I think it's unfair to say "if you have time to post, then you have time to read..." cuz for a lot of us, this simply isn't the case. I know it isn't for me, as I've been a lot more busy nowadays than I've ever been, and I'm sorry, but reading through 16 pages of "I got it!" will give the same result as someone simply posting a reply like, "Yeah, most of us got ours. Sucks to be you."

I don't know. Maybe I'm still sick of AU and how this whole ordeal has affected me, but I wasn't trying to be rude or whatnot. I'll keep away from here, if I'm such a pest.

K
"You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 11th 2004, 3:36 am

I understand if you don't have time to read every single post here, but it is a little selfish for you to assume that we will read your post when you just told us that you didn't bother to read what any of us posted previously. Like I said in an earlier post, if you had read just a few posts above your original post, you would have seen that yes, people are receiving their bonus materials. It's difficult for any of us to gauge how many people are receving their bonus materials because all we know is that about 40 people have posted here saying that they have. We don't know if that means those are the only 40 AU customers total who received lunchboxes and discs or if there are hundreds more who haven't shared that information with us. We also don't know many people haven't received their stuff yet. There are a few people here who have said they haven't, but altogether we have less than 100 people who we definitely know are AU customers who have said whether they received their bonus stuff or are still waiting. I don't think that's a fair representation of how many people ended up keeping their orders with AU (compared to how many people said that they received the DVD sets from AU when they finally shipped), so I can't make a blanket statement saying whether most of us got the bonus stuff or not. We honestly don't know who the minority is in this situation - people with bonus stuff or people without bonus stuff.

I am a fellow AU customer, so I understand your frustration with the entire ordeal. It really sucks that you have allowed your bitterness to affect how you feel about the show and haven't watched the whole set repeatedly. I have the opposite attitude - I feel like every time I watch MSCL, I am somehow saying, "You thought you would steal my money AU, but you failed!" It makes the already great episodes that tiny much better. I bought this set to bring some happiness to my life and I'm not going to let AU change that.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Feb 11th 2004, 9:19 am

candygirl wrote:I understand if you don't have time to read every single post here, but it is a little selfish for you to assume that we will read your post when you just told us that you didn't bother to read what any of us posted previously.
If you think that's "selfish" then maybe you're overestimating the importance of what's going on here currently. We all would have expended a lot less energy just answering the guy's question than we have arguing about it.
candygirl wrote:It really sucks that you have allowed your bitterness to affect how you feel about the show and haven't watched the whole set repeatedly.
It really sucks that you're giving him a hard time about his (well-deserved) bitterness. To be honest, I haven't even watched the MSCL DVDs yet. Haven't put the first disc in the player, and don't really have plans to do so. Maybe after I get some closure with the whole Another Universe thing (in the form of my freakin' bonus materials), I can get back to appreciating the existence of the DVDs, but right now when I see them I'm just reminded that I'm still being ripped off.

JRjr

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Feb 11th 2004, 10:13 am

vapspwi wrote:
candygirl wrote:It really sucks that you have allowed your bitterness to affect how you feel about the show and haven't watched the whole set repeatedly.
It really sucks that you're giving him a hard time about his (well-deserved) bitterness. To be honest, I haven't even watched the MSCL DVDs yet. Haven't put the first disc in the player, and don't really have plans to do so. Maybe after I get some closure with the whole Another Universe thing (in the form of my freakin' bonus materials), I can get back to appreciating the existence of the DVDs, but right now when I see them I'm just reminded that I'm still being ripped off.
I think you are getting caught up in conflict and interpreting candygirl's post in a way she didn't intend. To me it doesn't sound like she's giving him a hard time about being too bitter to enjoy the show anymore. It seems like she's just saying that it sucks that he overpaid for a dvd set that he can't enjoy and adding that she very much enjoys hers and was able to channel her bitterness into further enjoyment of the show rather than have it ruin the show for her. Maybe there's a hint of advice there (maybe not) but I certainly don't think she was giving him a hard time.

I hope that you are right and receiving your bonus materials will give you closure and allows you to once again enjoy MSCL. It would suck if getting your bonus materials just leaves you feeling disappointed and still ripped off.
vapspwi wrote:
candygirl wrote:I understand if you don't have time to read every single post here, but it is a little selfish for you to assume that we will read your post when you just told us that you didn't bother to read what any of us posted previously.
If you think that's "selfish" then maybe you're overestimating the importance of what's going on here currently. We all would have expended a lot less energy just answering the guy's question than we have arguing about it.
I sort of agree with both of you. I think it is rude not to at least read the current page of posts before adding yours to the bottom. It's easy, just scroll down the the bottom "postreply" button rather than using the top one and just read over the posts as you go. It's not very time consuming. I think what is selfish about that style of posting is that the poster is asking others to find an answer for him/her that he/she doesn't want to waste his/her own time and energy looking for. I do agree however that it would have expended a lot less energy by just answering rather than arguing. I'd probably have said something abrupt but clear such as, "some people have received it some are still posting to let us know they are still waiting. Read this thread for details (hint: just a few posts above yours there is a list conveniently compiled for those not willing to read through the whole thread. Best of luck getting your materials." But an even better answer would be
candygirl wrote:If you just read the posts on this page directly above yours, you will see that people are receiving their bonus materials. I also posted a list on page 15 of the forum members who have reported receiving their bonus materials. I'm sure there are other people who have received their bonus stuff but haven't come back to post about it here as well. Have you tried contacting AU recently?
At that point the question had been asked and answered and it was only after this that the arguing began. Interesting that you felt it would take less energy to simply answer the question than to argue but rather than posting an answer to Cornelius1047's question you started arguing about the quality of the answer that had been given.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 11th 2004, 1:11 pm

Y'know, it's not like this forum is so burning up with traffic that it makes much of a difference whether somebody wades through 16 pages of mostly not informative posts before they ask their question. It seems like the mods here (in the last few months) are determined to drive off the few people that are actually still posting to the boards.
werd.
How's this for a nifty idea - stop acting like spoiled children and throwing hissy fits everytime this forum doesn't give you what you want, or when a mod actually upholds a forum rule. Yes, even nice, community places like this one has rules. They're needed, and what's more, no one on this mod staff is having power trips when they close a topic or ask for content to be changed.

Further, only you two are whining about it. That's your choice, and if you'll notice, your posts have not been touched or altered by the mod staff. Any other forum would have yanked them for having the cajones to criticize ormake fun of the mod staff on the forum in front of everyone.

The mods are not the problem, and I'm sick of eating it just for the sake of being nice. Your lousy, selfish attitudes are the problem and you can stuff them for all I care.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Feb 11th 2004, 3:50 pm

GaryEA wrote: How's this for a nifty idea - stop acting like spoiled children and throwing hissy fits everytime this forum doesn't give you what you want, or when a mod actually upholds a forum rule.
You "took your ball and went home" when things didn't go your way with the alternate DVD covers a few months back, and you're saying I'm acting like a spoiled child? Kettle, this is pot. You're black. :-)

Seriously though, I haven't complained at all about this forum not giving me what I want. I have complained about what I've seen as pointless analness, though. (And believe me, I'm a looong time Usenetter, and still prefer that sort of environment to message boards, so I definitely understand the need for rules and for netiquette and such like. But a newsgroup or a forum getting MAYBE one post a day isn't the same as a volatile, high volume group/forum, so I see some room for leeway.)
GaryEA wrote: Further, only you two are whining about it. That's your choice, and if you'll notice, your posts have not been touched or altered by the mod staff. Any other forum would have yanked them for having the cajones to criticize ormake fun of the mod staff on the forum in front of everyone.
First, two folks out of the relatively small group that still posts here isn't as small a sample as you make it out to be.

Second, I don't know what kind of Nazi-esque forums you frequent wherein the kinds of things that I've posted would be grounds for yanking posts.

Third, my intention isn't to make fun of anybody, mod staff or otherwise.

(OK, maybe just a little for this next bit...)
GaryEA wrote: The mods are not the problem, and I'm sick of eating it just for the sake of being nice. Your lousy, selfish attitudes are the problem and you can stuff them for all I care.
I don't know what you're "eating"; if this is for the sake of being "nice," that's a weird use of the term; and if I have a lousy, selfish attitude, then there's apparently at least one mod keeping me company there.

I didn't come here to pick a fight or call anybody out, but neither am I one to back away from calling things as I see them, and what I've seen in recent memory is a tendency toward overreaction from the mod staff. I'm sure y'all do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that I don't notice that keeps this place running and pleasant to visit, and I do appreciate that, but that doesn't really change my perception of the few incidents that I've commented on recently.

JRjr

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Feb 11th 2004, 4:51 pm

GaryEA wrote:
Y'know, it's not like this forum is so burning up with traffic that it makes much of a difference whether somebody wades through 16 pages of mostly not informative posts before they ask their question. It seems like the mods here (in the last few months) are determined to drive off the few people that are actually still posting to the boards.
werd.
How's this for a nifty idea - stop acting like spoiled children and throwing hissy fits everytime this forum doesn't give you what you want, or when a mod actually upholds a forum rule. Yes, even nice, community places like this one has rules. They're needed, and what's more, no one on this mod staff is having power trips when they close a topic or ask for content to be changed.

Further, only you two are whining about it. That's your choice, and if you'll notice, your posts have not been touched or altered by the mod staff. Any other forum would have yanked them for having the cajones to criticize ormake fun of the mod staff on the forum in front of everyone.

The mods are not the problem, and I'm sick of eating it just for the sake of being nice. Your lousy, selfish attitudes are the problem and you can stuff them for all I care.
For the record, the issue that is originally being argued about here (being too lazy to read the posts on a thread), I am way, way on the moderators' side. It seems that a good deal of the ingrates that post on this board need to learn the fine art of skimming.

Regardless, this GaryEA post is the same kind of crap that had me so mad on the It's All About Love thread. You see how Candygirl resolves a conflict, Gary? She calmly and clearly states her position. You, on the other hand, whine like a sissy and lock threads. The forum would be better off without you.

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Feb 11th 2004, 4:59 pm

Wait, I forgot to mention:

Shortly after the IAAL debacle, a moderator yanked two of my posts from another thread where someone aside from me used cuss words. My posts were a response to the fact that other people were cussing and getting away with it, and I was not. I don't know which moderator did it, but don't tell us that you leave up people's posts whether you like them or not. My posts on that topic broke none of your rules, I guarantee it. And besides, locking a forum is not all that far off from removing posts. I'd like to see you lock this one, Gary.

And if it seems like I'm holding a grudge and being infantile, I am. I admit it. Regardless, everything I say here is true.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Feb 11th 2004, 6:49 pm

In the interest of posting something positive and non-inflammatory, here's some good news (for me, at least...).

After sending three e-mails to Another Universe since the middle of January (to such addresses as freakbiscuit@yahoo.com, and customersupport@, dvdsupport@, and ross@anotheruniverse.com) and getting no response, today I actually got an e-mail from Another Universe.

The e-mail came from Leslie A. Balko, leslie@anotheruniverse.com, with the subject MSCL Bonus Items, and it contained a USPS tracking number. Apparently they've actually, finally shipped my bonus materials. I'll believe it when I see it, of course, but since this is the first e-mail I've received from Another Universe since before the actual DVDs were shipped, I'm somewhat hopeful.

(For the record, I'm in Georgia, and ordered in mid-February 2002.)

I don't know if you can generalize my experience, but after months of non-communication, I started sending e-mails to every address I could find at Another Universe. I was polite but firm, providing them with my order number and contact information, the history of my complaint with their company, and the history of complaints that I've filed with various law enforcement and consumer agencies. Maybe it actually finally worked, so hopefully this will encourage everybody else that hasn't gotten their stuff yet to keep after them.

JRjr

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Feb 11th 2004, 6:58 pm

Maybe it has nothing to do with how much you email various AU addresses, and has everything to do with angering mods on this site, seeing as how both you and I got ours shortly after doing so.

I'm hungry.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Feb 11th 2004, 9:15 pm

sirhansirhan wrote:Maybe it has nothing to do with how much you email various AU addresses, and has everything to do with angering mods on this site, seeing as how both you and I got ours shortly after doing so.
Hmm. Maybe you're on to something there. Perhaps in the interest of preserving goodwill, we could set up some kind of surrogate moderator that people waiting on their bonus materials could ritually abuse, or something. :-)

Heck, it couldn't hurt. We could name him Ross. :-)

JRjr

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 11th 2004, 10:10 pm

sirhansirhan wrote:Maybe it has nothing to do with how much you email various AU addresses, and has everything to do with angering mods on this site, seeing as how both you and I got ours shortly after doing so.
Or Ross is just sick of reading certain people's posts around here. :twisted:

siandam
Jody Barsh

Post by siandam » Feb 12th 2004, 11:05 am

In the hope of pissing someone off and then maybe getting my bonus items, I am posting.

I am so sick of this whole ordeal that my enthusiam for the show has effected. I was waiting with breathless anticipation to receive my DVD's and since it took so long and was such a long drawn out cluster f*** that I have done nothing but skim through all the discs just to make sure they work.

I still have nothing but the highest respect and heartfelt appreciation for Jason for everything he did to get us this far.

Hopefully I will be receiving my bonus stuff soon so I can just put this all behind me and move on to Freaks & Geeks.