General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Post by Guest » Sep 12th 2003, 12:36 pm

I remember watching MSCL when I was IN high school, I cannot tell you how much I miss the 90's everytime I watch it. I love how Angela dresses--it is exactly as I remember it and isn't it nice to see a young girl dressed comfortably, not like the Britney Spears look alikes they have in high schools nowadays? I also love how the kids wear the same clothes--unlike a 90210 like set-up where they are dressed in new clothes all of the time. I can't explain what a realistic touch that adds to the show. So many great quotes, so much emotion expressed in that show--I'm glad that it ended when it did because what do you want to bet it would have been ruined by 90's excess and become another Friends or Melrose Place...

seedman
Tino

Post by seedman » Sep 12th 2003, 1:30 pm

I have to strongly disagree. There is no way it would have become another Friends or Melrose Place. The production team involved have a long resume at this point and none of their shows are remotely like those mentioned.

I am also glad that it ended where it did because I think it was a perfect ending, but I'm sure they would have continued on with a quality product had it continued.

Len

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Sep 14th 2003, 8:42 am

I was in junior high when MSCL came out. I remember talking about the show the next morning on the bus. I had this friend Katie who would always talk about it with me. I even bought a baby doll dress so I could be like Angela. It was red like hers, too. I thought I was the hottest thing. lol
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sep 21st 2003, 8:20 pm

I was in middle school.. 6th grade, when the show came on. My absolute favorite show of all time. I also had the red babydoll dress... still have it, actually. Hah, when I was a Senior in high school (about 2 years ago) we had Spirit Week, and one of the special days was Decade Day. Everyone picks a decade and you dress to that era... Seeing as this was 2001, and I had that gnarly babydoll dress, I wore it for Decade day, being 1990's... nobody really noticed. I remember sitting at lunch telling a few friends how nobody said anything to me about it, and one said "I just thought you were trying to bring the babydoll dress back... "

Anyway, I was about 12 when the show was on... There are so many expenses at the moment that I can't buy the DVD's yet, and I had been watching an old tape that I had recorded 3 or 4 episodes on, but I gave it to my sister and haven't seen it since.. :(

1987 Angela
Frozen Embryo

Post by 1987 Angela » Oct 20th 2003, 1:19 pm

:cry:
I am touched that so many other people feel the exact same way I do regarding this show. In 1994 I was already 25 years old. Almost a decade away from the graduation of highschool. However, when I first witnessed this show, upon reading a TVGuide upcoming shows article, I felt I had eerily catapulted back to th 80's and found myself back at good ol' Johnson High School in St.Paul. Never has a show summed up what life was like for me or how annoyingly introspective I was like Angela Chase and her friends.
I am actually moved that I can look back into the 90's now with a sense of nostalgia and feeling of roots. MSCL for me in 1994 was like a warm blanket of lost friends and coming to terms with being an adult now.
Every day I mourn the loss of this show like the painful years of teenage introspection and memories.
I actually now look forward to my next high school reunion - which I had always skipped - but can now fully appreciate. I only hope it isn't too far ahead as I am anxious to see the people I felt I could never relate to. To try and recapture that sense of wonder and anxiety.
Here's to 1994.

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 20th 2003, 10:28 pm

I was 10 when the show came on but my sister was 15 and we watched it together... she was such a fan of the show... even bigger then me... but when I was 15 I came across the videotapes in her room because she recorded them off of mtv and they even have the old jared and claire commercials from when they would just talk between episodes for a minute... so cute!!! but anyway even though this show came out in 94 its like timeless... because I went through exactly the same things that some of the characters went through and when I could see that in the show I was so obsessed with the fact that it actually made it real... they showed the truth... about how sometimes everything is not perfect and sometimes you feel so alone that it hurts and wanting to hear perfect words from people the way angela did... the way angela felt... just beautiful...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

miss_squish
Tino

i miss the 1990's

Post by miss_squish » Jan 29th 2004, 1:15 am

I luv this site...i just registered
i was in 10th grade when the show started...i luved it sooo much
Especially the fashion....Flannels were it :)
i just brought the DVD set and my fiance even likes watching it :D
i was a much simpler time than...i remember watching it on the ABC channel and my parents giving me a hard time about watching TV when my Algebra homework was not completed yet....they used to say "is that show going to help you pass your math class??" :x
"We had a time"