MSCL Quote thread

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
north_Star98
Yearbook Team

MSCL Quote thread

Post by north_Star98 » May 1st 2002, 12:47 pm

I really love the lines that are said on My So Called life. I often use them as my away messages on the aol instant messenger. So...I thought it'd be cool if we start a quote thread...just put the quote and who said it. :) i'll go first:)

"When I was little, I, like, worshipped Halloween. And truthfully, part of me still does. Because it's you one chance all year to be someone else...I wanna be someone else, but to wear, like, an actual costume to school is too scary."

-Angela Chase

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: MSCL Quote thread

Post by Joanna » May 1st 2002, 1:27 pm

"Sometimes it seems like we are all living in some kind of prison....and the crime is, how much we hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up once in a while and admit the true...that when you really look closely, people are so strange and so complicated that they're actually...beautiful - possibly even me!"

- Angela Chase (The Zit)

I like this thread!

Joanna x

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » May 1st 2002, 1:36 pm

"It just seems like, you agree to have a certain personality or something. For no reason. Just to make things easier for everyone. But when you think about it, I mean, how do you know it's even you? And, I mean, this whole thing with yearbook -- it's like, everybody's in this big hurry to make this book, to supposedly remember what happened. Because if you made a book of what really happened, it'd be a really upsetting book."

-- Angela

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » May 1st 2002, 1:37 pm

"Oh, look at me, I'm way cool. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax."

-- Brian (to Angela)

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » May 1st 2002, 1:38 pm

"Gee, thanks, well, I'd like to help you, sir, but I'm too busy picturing your daughter naked."

-- Graham (imagining Brian's excuse for not helping him)

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Me Too!

Post by K-man » May 1st 2002, 2:23 pm

I like this quote too! What a great ending and the way they play Return to Innocence behind it is perfect.

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens. K-man

Post by Guest » May 1st 2002, 9:46 pm

I love that quote about the yearbook..that one is my most favorite.

I can't remember all the words but I like 2 more:

The one where she is in Jordan's car & he starts kissing her and she says, loudly, "Hold on..a person has to work up to that, ya know?"

the other is when she is in the hall w/ Jordan and he has that thread hanging off the corner of his shirt collar, she says something like he was from a poor family.

Sorry I can't remember all the words, maybe someone can help me :)

But I do like this topic.

R

Post by Guest » May 2nd 2002, 2:47 pm

Ooh...I have lots of these. Let me see if I can limit it to just three:

It's such a lie that you should do what's in your heart. If we all did what was in our heart, the world would grind to a halt. (Angela, "Guns and Gossip")

Angela, orange juice doesn't grow on trees. (Patty, "Father Figures")

Patty, it's a greeting card, not a dead fish. (Graham, "So-Called Angels")

okay.....one more:

What I was thinking, as like a New Year's Resolution, is to stop getting so caught up in my own thoughts, 'cause I'm way to introspective.... I think. But what if not thinking turns me in to this shallow person? I better rethink this becoming less introspective thing. (Angela, "Resolutions")

Ssomeone else's turn now.

Anonymous Bill

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: Me Too!

Post by Joanna » May 2nd 2002, 5:03 pm

Yes - the music it the background really completes the scene. This episode is like a segment of my life - not only the arguments Angela has with her mum but the whole 'zit' thing. I have suffered with terrible acne (it's clear at the moment - yay!) and I totally empathise with Angela more so than ever in this wondeful episode (mostly because unless you've had it is it hard to understand what a devastating affect it has on people - my family NEVER understood) - and the end quote is just sooooooo truthful I always end up in tears :0) I like the touching look Rayanne gives Angela when she see's that she is emotional about the scene before her.

Brainiac
Nicky Driscoll
Location: Oxford, England (for now at least) Otherwise, Virginia, USA

Post by Brainiac » May 2nd 2002, 5:50 pm

Brian's quotes are always classic. My personal fave is the one I have as my 'signature' at the bottom (from 'Life of Brian'), but this one in particular cracks me up. This scene is from 'Self Esteem' when Angela has asked Brian for help reviewing geometry for her upcoming exam. The essential quote is, 'You have the option of insanity. I do not. And that -- makes me crazy!' To get the full essence of the quote, though, you've got to see it in the context of the scene:

Brian [to Angela]: You think I care? You could not possibly conceive of how much studying I have to do tonight! Have you ever even heard of calculus? Geometry is a paid vacation compared to calculus. Okay? I mean, do you, do you have any idea what it's like to be an accelerated ? I mean, do you like realize the pressure on a person when it's like assumed that they will always get As? Hey, Brian, pull another A? That Brian, he always gets an A. You have the option of insanity. I do not. And that -- makes me crazy! [Graham enters] Hi. I have to leave. I'm - I'm leaving.

'There's something about my life. It's just automatically true that nothing actually happens.'

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » May 9th 2002, 2:09 pm

I love soooooo many quotes, but this is the one I feel like posting today. :-)

Angela (Down in the boiler room, before she parts company with Jordan):

"And by the way, I spell my name with ONE L."

Gotta love our girl Angela.
;-)

Socalledfan

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » May 9th 2002, 3:09 pm

I can't resist! Here's another one from me today. This is definitely one of my favorites:

(Angela to Rayanne, at the museum)

"You lost my letter. Which means somebody could have found it. And Jordan Catalano was being nice to me. [makes a great face] Like...out of NOwhere."

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 9th 2002, 4:35 pm

I could fill up this whole post with "favorite quotes" but as 'So Called Fan' put it, I think it depends on which day/mood/etc. Following your acne comments Joanna, I like Graham's quote to Patty from the Zit...."Come on. My face was an Italian Entree. You, you had one, one pimple. Like this single, perfect rose.". I know what he meant. My face was an entree NOT a rose!

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens. K-man

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » May 9th 2002, 6:11 pm

Yeah - that is a funny scene :0) It's interesting to hear Angela's parents talk about their own youth (especially when they are in a good mood with each other).....because everything comes around and the same things generally happen to eveyone at some point in their life.

north_Star98
Yearbook Team

Post by north_Star98 » Jun 10th 2002, 6:42 pm

i want to keep this thread alive...since i really love the quotes...plus can't leave it at unlucky 13! haha

"School is a battlefield for your heart. So when Rayanne Graff told me my hair was holding me back, I had to listen. Because she wasn't just talking about my hair...she was talking about my life."
-Angela Chase, My So Called Life