Contradiction we call Brain

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Contradiction we call Brain

Post by Guest » Jan 9th 2004, 2:43 pm

Intelligent young man, who excels in school, comes from a wealthy,jewish family will undoubtedly become an important part of an upper society.I can almost picture him as a lawyer or doctor( needless to say he will have to get a hair cut).And I must say, altough I admire the complex nature of this character,I also must argue that Brian has a nasty streak about him.

The things he's said and done;

a) He pointed out several times that the love of his life is a slut:

In "Guns n' Gossip" he starts the rumour about Mr.Catalano and Mrs.Chase screwing in his Plymouth.

"Is there anyone's car you won't get into" ( Substitute, when he thought that she was doing it with Vic Racine)

b) Calling the person you don't even know an "idiot", which proves that he's an elitist and a snob( in his snobby world a person with limited intelectual abilities in not allowed to be loved )

c) treating Delia like dirt. But he didn't stop messing with her head in #ep 11.No, sir. He has to be annoying about it, he has to keep asking Sharon about that girl whose heart he has had the privilege to break.And in #ep 19, he still has the nerve to act like a dick while she is trying to talk to Rickie.

And you people always attack Jordan for sleeping with Rayanne.Yes, okay he made a mistake.He used someone for sex, and that person used him back. So, how come Jordan hurting Angela is more of a crime then Brian hurting Delia?

Sophia CH4
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Sophia CH4 » Jan 10th 2004, 3:35 pm

And you people always attack Jordan for sleeping with Rayanne.Yes, okay he made a mistake.He used someone for sex, and that person used him back. So, how come Jordan hurting Angela is more of a crime then Brian hurting Delia?
i see your point, and brian is definitely an ass, but he didn't sleep with delia's best friend, he just said that he woud go to the dance with her, and then he dumped her, so i think jordan is in a little deeper than brian
So understand
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up...make your stand,
And realise you're living in the golden years.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 10th 2004, 6:11 pm

Brian shows us that there isn't anyone who is perfect. Yes, he's made mistakes, but everyone does. Also, I agree that ditching Delia for Angela isn't a nice thing to do. But sleeping with your erstwhile girlfriend's best friend is much worse. Also, it's interesting that many of Brian's faults stem from his love for Angela.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

guset420

Post by guset420 » Jan 10th 2004, 8:29 pm

brian does have his good points also as dar as anfela is concerned

1) covering for her in class and giving angela credit for the volumeter experiment (ok that is stretching it a little bit)
2)Giving her his jumper when she stays in his car
3)comforting sharon after her father dies
4)tutoring jordan
5)not telling on rickie. Thereby running the risk of being thrown out of school (if i was getting an A in every subject it would rate pretty highly)
6)Going to help angela with geometry when he had so much work to do
7)helping with the wallpaper
8)writing the letter that made her feel alive (she doesn't seem disssapointed when she realises brian wrote it).
the ones, i mean the one, i wrote in school were so crap compared to that one althogh i was totally in love with the girl Damn i havent thought about that in such a long time :shock:
9)explaining bicycle thief to angela and later giving her his bike
10)going to the sex shop (maybe he secretly wanted to! :lol: :lol: )
10)volunteering for so many after school activities (although if you really think about it that's really kinda pathetic)