why was this show cancelled?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

why was this show cancelled?

Post by Guest » Jan 6th 2004, 1:04 am

what was this series cancelled? anyone know?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 6th 2004, 9:24 pm

You can find many reasons discussed in the forum. These reasons include low ratings; ABC didn't want to give the show a chance to grow an audience; Claire wanted to act in movies, not on TV; the show was ahead of its time. All of these things and some others I probably left out all played a role in the cancellation of the show.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 7th 2004, 10:21 am

Winnie, Ed, and Marshall briefly discussed this on the bonus disk. They said Claire came to them with her parents and said she didn't want to come back for a second season; she wanted to act in movies. They believed that ABC didn't want to fight a minor to get her to do the show, when she didn't want to. So, in addition to the low ratings and such, ABC probably used that as an excuse to cancel the show.

I could be wrong, so anyone, please feel free to correct me.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 7th 2004, 11:49 am

Yes, given her age, ABC fighting Claire to be on a show she didn't want to be on would have generated lots of bad press. Claire's unwillingness to continue on the show was more rumor than fact for a long time. However, the biography on Claire and other more recent interviews and stories have made it clear that she didn't want to return for another year. People who fought to save the show, Operation Life Support, didn't know that she wanted to quit. The network and producers could have hired another actress to play the lead (probably not Angela), but with low ratings, there wasn't much point in hiring someone. It probably would have been a much different show anyway.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

Post by Guest » Jan 8th 2004, 8:57 pm

TomSpeed wrote:You can find many reasons discussed in the forum. These reasons include low ratings; ABC didn't want to give the show a chance to grow an audience; Claire wanted to act in movies, not on TV; the show was ahead of its time. All of these things and some others I probably left out all played a role in the cancellation of the show.
I deifnitely agree with you when you said that the show was ahead of its time. I think that if the show aired today that it would be a success!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 9th 2004, 5:40 am

I'm never quite sure what it really means when we label something "ahead of it's time'. Is there a time for MSCL when it would be more widley recieved? I don't think so.
Anonymous wrote:I definitely agree with you when you said that the show was ahead of its time. I think that if the show aired today that it would be a success!
I don't feel that MSCl would do any differently today than it did in the mid-90's; what has changed since then that would make it a success? MSCL will always have an audience, and, judging by people's posts, it is still growing, but I don't imagine that MSCL at any time would be as widely watched as 90210, Friends, or something like that. I actually think that MSCL was really suited to the time in which it premiered.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago in a magazine, I think it might have been Newsweek(?); it talked about how as there are more and more alternative stations (HBO instead of NBC etc...), there has ceased to be a single public audience -- it is fragmented.
Sorry, that was a terrible summary, but it was an interesting article and maybe supports the point that MSCL wouldn't be anymore of a commercial/ huge-audience success today than it was in 1995.

Although, given the context of our discussion -- one of many fansites nearly ten years later, My So-Called Life was a success in it's own right.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 9th 2004, 9:36 am

I agree with the ahead of its time concept because there was very little niche, or specialized, programming in the mid 1990s. Today, you have an entire network, the WB, which is nothing but specialized programming. I also agree with you that the show would not necessarily have a wider audience if it aired today. However, it would probably have enough viewers in the fragmented marketplace to stay on the air for two or three years. Look at what happened to Dead Like Me on Showtime. It's made by some of the same people involved with MSCL. It's a niche show that's been picked up for a second season. Of course, we cannot turn back the clock. We can only wonder what would happen given different circumstances. The fact that MSCL has any impact at all today is justification for the show itself.
TomSpeed

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 10th 2004, 12:12 am

I think there are many shows in the recent years that are good quality that don't last. but some shows are lucky enough to have proactive fans. and with the internet, it's easier to get more people involved. one of my favorite shows was Roswell. despite low ratings, the fans were able to keep it alive for 3 seasons due to a huge "Save Roswell" internet campaign. I just wish that Hollywood would recognize that the Neilson ratings don't reflect everyone's opinion.

Florestan

The rest of teh ending

Post by Florestan » Jan 26th 2004, 3:00 am

This might have been covered somewhere else, but has Winnie, or anyone ever given any indication of where the show was going to go? How it was going to end up? I mean, it's not like they would've been giving anything away . . .

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 26th 2004, 3:27 am

Winnie did share some of the ideas she had for a second season during a Q&A session last year. You can read about it here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 27th 2004, 9:30 pm

Just to add 2 cents......I think what Winnie and Ed said on the bonus disk was that ABC did not want to go to the mat with Claire and family due to the Network-Minor scenario, but also the fact that the show was "on-the-bubble" made it an easier decision for them to walk away from season #2. Had they felt they had a big hit on their hands, they probably would have slugged it out. Who knows?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

msclrules
Liberty High Student

claire danes

Post by msclrules » Feb 19th 2004, 5:24 pm

she was young and she could've done it, just for the fans. but if she's tired, she's tired.
~msclrules~

Amber

Roswell was also another fav.

Post by Amber » Apr 3rd 2004, 7:19 pm

I wish MSCL would have at least completed the entire season and finished a story line. Also wasn't ROSWELL and MSCL writen by JASON Katims.

msclrules
Liberty High Student

Post by msclrules » Apr 4th 2004, 7:16 pm

yeah, they could have done episode 20 and tell us what will happen with angela/rayanne and angela/brian!!!
~msclrules~

sarahslife
Frozen Embryo

Post by sarahslife » Apr 4th 2004, 11:37 pm

that would be sucky reason to cancel I thought it was great :twisted: