Return of the King

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 17th 2003, 4:17 am

Bwahahaha! That made my night :wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Dec 17th 2003, 8:53 pm

Leaving right now to see it!! Can't wait :lol:
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 18th 2003, 8:45 pm

Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 18th 2003, 10:22 pm

my my, candygirl how did you stumble across that? Some interesting information there. I went to see ROTK last night and i thought it was great! Maybe the fact that it's been awhile since I last read the book helps because I was much more receptive to ROTK than I was to TT at first. Last year at this time I was all in an uproar about the (mis)interpretation of Faramir. But with ROTK, though it had many noticeable differences from the book and omissions, I was quite pleased. It seemed that most of the things Peter Jackson left out were the same things I could have done without in the book. The battle scenes were of course great and I was really impressed with the portrayal of Eowyn. I like her much better now than I did from reading the novel. I would have liked to see a bit more of basically every character but I guess I'll have to wait until the EE next year. I'm sure I'll be seeing the film again in the theatre soon. In spite of my best efforts I had to leave about 40 min before the end to use the washroom. So I'd like to see that few minutes for the first time and the rest of the movie at least once more in the theatre. I can't wait until the final EE is out. I plan to monopolize my friends ridiculously huge tv and sound system and have my own marathon. I don't think I would have been able to make it through the in-theatre marathon. I had some strange luck regarding LOTR. I received a box of presents from my father but when I opened the box I discovered that my absent minded Dad had forgotten to wrap them first. Under the circumstances I didn't think it would be cheating to watch my TT EE before going to see ROTK. Has anyone else seen the film yet?

Nostradamus-stopping-by

Post by Nostradamus-stopping-by » Dec 20th 2003, 7:40 am

Another ROTK list: Top Eleven Ways Peter Jackson Could Ruin The Return of the King

http://bbspot.com/News/2003/12/top_11_ruin_rotk.html

:)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 30th 2003, 12:21 am

RotK easily topped 100 million USD in the first week. While I was buying tickets for Last Samurai someone looked over at the huge Rotk lines and wondered aloud when they might go down. To which someone else honestly replied, "Well, I think the people who are at the back of the line now might just be getting to the front of the line in about six months or so."

:shock:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 30th 2003, 6:45 am

I saw ROTK for the second time tonight. I was disappointed with it the first time I saw it, but the second time around I allowed myself to enjoy it more. I would have liked to have seen Eowyn’s story developed further after she talks to Aragorn. And obviously I would love to see more Legolas, but that is not really a comment on them film, as it is to be expected that he plays a smaller role in this film. The best part of ROTK was the hobbits, I really love Merry and Pippin in this film. I agree that the battle scenes are awesome, and that the performances are, for the most part flawless. I am feel however, that at this point at least, ROTK is not my favorite of the three, it seems to be lacking in the overall emotional intensity that drives the first two films. I haven’t read this far in the trilogy, so I don’t want to get too critical, but I could do without the whole Sam and Rosie ending, it weakens the conclusion, IMHO. Is it just me, or is Aragorn’s hair strangely gray by the end of the film, just before they ride for the final battle at the black gate? I’ll have to review Fellowship and Two Towers, but who is the blonde elf with Galadriel at the end? He doesn’t look familiar.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 1st 2004, 12:13 am

I haven't seen the movie yet, but that could be Celeborn, Galadriel's consort. IIRC, he didn't play too big of a part in the books. Perhaps he was a trophy husband?

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 1st 2004, 12:37 am

Another question, at a point in the film we get a view of Frodo's chest, he has scars around his neck (clearly from carrying the ring), and two on his chest. One is from the wound he got on Weathertop, but what is the other from? The only thing I can think of is when he was stabbed in Moria in Fellowship, although I wouldn't have thought that would leave a scar. Any thoughts?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 2nd 2004, 1:39 pm

I saw this film on 27th, and (apart from the fact that we could only get tickets to the 10.45 am showing, which meant I had to drag a grumpy Mr. S out of bed and get in the car with my parents) I really enjoyed it.

I thought it was well done but I was a bit peeved at the lack of focus on Eowyn getting it together with Faramir (since they seem to expanded every other aspect of Faramir's character ad nauseum) - I felt like if they had done so, it would have balanced the Aragorn/Eowyn thing out nicely and explained how suddenly she wasn't that fussed that clearly Arwen and Aragorn were an item.

I also hated that they left out Saruman from the theatrical release... can't wait to see the extended edition.

I shed tears during the battle scenes, I thought they were that good. I mean, it puts everything else I have seen to shame.

The ending was a bit strange I think, for people who haven't read the books.

Plus, my brother (who has read the books) couldn't really understand what was going on in the Paths of the Dead so I had to spend ages explaining it to him. Somehow he'd missed the significance of Aragorn being the heir of Isildur. Hmmmm. Mr. S was completely lost for most of it and his conclusion was a simple 'well, I thought the CG was pretty cool'.

When the extended edition comes out I will be first in the queue and I really hope that someone gives Peter Jackson the awards he deserves because I think he has done a really good job, despite his liberties with the story.

Also, I don't know about the scars on Frodo's chest. I thought maybe some were from his battle with Smeagol in the fires of Mount Doom... or possibly just from general life, the universe and everything.

I didn't notice Aragorn's hair but I thought that once he was crowned his face looked significantly fatter. Maybe this was meant to be a reflection of the kingly consumption he had no doubt been partaking of, in comparison to the years in exile.... I thought it was a bit weird though.

And Mr. S made the fairly worthwhile comment (having not read the books) that it would have been much more useful to have the story of how Smeagol came across the Ring at the start of TT rather than ROTK... which I think is a good point. I know they were trying to keep to the books but this is one thing they could have changed without much impact.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 2nd 2004, 4:18 pm

starbug wrote:I thought it was well done but I was a bit peeved at the lack of focus on Eowyn getting it together with Faramir (since they seem to expanded every other aspect of Faramir's character ad nauseum) - I felt like if they had done so, it would have balanced the Aragorn/Eowyn thing out nicely and explained how suddenly she wasn't that fussed that clearly Arwen and Aragorn were an item.
WoW! I didn't know that happened. I think something definitely needs to be further developed with her in the extended version becasue it just seems like she forgets about Aragorn (I wondered why theystand together at the celebration). And where is she in their last battle in front of the black gate? is she not there? Why not? Basically I have to hurry up and get to the last book already. (P.S. How cute is Faramir! Obviously Aragorn and Legolas are at the top, but Pippin, especially in ROTK, is way cute also. I could go on, (I have always loved Elijah)... but in my opinion, there hasn't been a cast so collectively good-looking since Coppola's meager adaptation of The Outsiders.)
starbug wrote:And Mr. S made the fairly worthwhile comment (having not read the books) that it would have been much more useful to have the story of how Smeagol came across the Ring at the start of TT rather than ROTK... which I think is a good point. I know they were trying to keep to the books but this is one thing they could have changed without much impact.
I'm only half-way through [/i]Two Towers right now (I tend to read about seven books at the same time), but I know I have already read this part of the story.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 2nd 2004, 7:26 pm

Well, I finally got to see it yesterday, and I'm still in aw. The thing that continues to amaze me about these movies is their shear scale. I truly believed that the world was at stake because I believed the world existed. Perhaps it’s all the wide camera shots. Even though I may have wanted to know more about the world of middle earth, I never doubted for a second that it existed and that it extended far beyond what we saw. I can think of no other movies that come close to their scale.

I love the battle scenes in this one. They looked amazing and there is just something noble about battles without guns, I loved it. I’m pretty new to the whole LOTR thing, I read The Hobbit in 7th grade, but that’s all I know about it. Fellowship was ok when it came out but I didn’t really get excited about them until I re-watched TT about a month ago and went through all the special features on the first two movies. I think that’s when it hit me how great they really are.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

ROTK

Post by lance » Jan 2nd 2004, 10:51 pm

Hey all,

Well I have seen ROTK, three times now. It only gets better with each viewing. Like Jody Barsch I was not as impressed with it the first time. A reviewer recently commented on this, the first time you are focusing so much on the big scenes: the path of the dead, Shelob, the battle between the King of the Nazqul and Eowyn. Did Jackson get it right? Yes. Subsequent viewings seem to be more relaxed and more attention can be focused to other things.

Of all the actors performances, and there were great ones, I was truly floored by Bernard Hill who played King Theoden. When he gave his speech to his men before the charge at Minis Tirith, I got all choked up. Wonderful stuff. The battle sequences were amazing in their details. I loved the look of the troll fighters.

Of the three films this was the only one that I saw more than once in theater. With Fellowship and Two Towers I was like yeah its cool but not what I want to spend another $9 on. ROTK simply floored me, it was that good.

A rumor about the forthcoming ROTK Extended DVD release:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689

Ain't it cool news gives details about the extended release including this disturbing bit:

"Word is that New Line are balking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA... our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first."

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 3rd 2004, 6:35 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:WoW! I didn't know that happened. I think something definitely needs to be further developed with her in the extended version becasue it just seems like she forgets about Aragorn (I wondered why theystand together at the celebration).
:oops: Sorry. Hope I didn't spoil the book for you... it's a minor part of the plot though.

And I must admit, I am quite taken with the actor that plays Faramir too. He's aussie, which is another bonus.
lance wrote:Of all the actors performances, and there were great ones, I was truly floored by Bernard Hill who played King Theoden.
I agree. Bernard Hill is a wonderful actor. He's been around for years and has a solid reputation so it is lovely to see him in something this high profile.

I think that I might need to go and see this again (and start re-reading the books). I'd say it's bordering dangerously on obsession for me, but I still draw the line at crappy little 'life-like models cast in lead and hand-painted...' :sickgreen:

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 3rd 2004, 12:32 pm

starbug wrote: :oops: Sorry. Hope I didn't spoil the book for you... it's a minor part of the plot though.
Not at all! It's awesome.