Jordan:Angela::Angela:Brian

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Burrito

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2003, 2:00 am

grim4746 wrote:I had the impression that Brian only 'liked' Delia because she liked him.
As the saying goes, it's hard to resist someone who finds you irresistible!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Armpit

Post by sirhansirhan » Dec 3rd 2003, 3:10 pm

The fact that Delia liked Brian was enough for her to get her foot in the door, and, if the circumstances would have been a little better, I think that Brian would have realized that he is much better suited to someone like Delia (as opposed to Angela), and that he is much better suited to her in turn.

By the way, in Chuck Klosterman's book Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (which is an entertaining book of pop culture essays), in the first essay in the book there is a throwaway reference to MSCL and the fact that "Brian never got any play." Only a mere portion of a single sentence mentions MSCL, but the book is certainly worth checking out, if you haven't already.

grim4746
Krakow

Re: Armpit

Post by grim4746 » Dec 3rd 2003, 10:22 pm

sirhansirhan wrote:The fact that Delia liked Brian was enough for her to get her foot in the door, and, if the circumstances would have been a little better, I think that Brian would have realized that he is much better suited to someone like Delia (as opposed to Angela), and that he is much better suited to her in turn.
Admittedly this is often how things work out. It reminds me of Rayanne saying that people throwing themselves at other people is the basis of civilization. I've been on both sides of that situation and I agree with candygirl's reminder that
candygirl wrote:As the saying goes, it's hard to resist someone who finds you irresistible!
I'm not entirely sure why I'm so opposed to the pairing of Delia and Brian. It's not because I think he was too much of a jerk for them to ever work things out, people have certainly overcome worse. I think it's because Delia seems too simple, just good and cheerful and she probably is from one of those towns where everyone smiles at everyone for no reason, not that there is anything wrong with that I just don't see Brian being contented with someone so chipper and seemingly one dimensional (regardless of how quickly she picks up dance steps, though it is a glimmer of hope in the blandness that is Delia). Maybe I'm Just over relating to Brian as sirhansirhan pointed out many of us are likely to do and imposing my own dissatisfaction with Delia onto the fictional character (brian). I always liked the idea of Brian and Rayanne getting together down the line. They had an exciting chemistry and the rebel tramp with the wishes-he were-a-rebel geek is a fun pairing.

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Dec 7th 2003, 8:03 pm

grim4746 wrote:I always liked the idea of Brian and Rayanne getting together down the line. They had an exciting chemistry and the rebel tramp with the wishes-he were-a-rebel geek is a fun pairing.
You know, I have never given that thought much attention, but now that you bring it up, it is not only amusing, but almost logical. Of course it wouldn't really be realistic for this to happen during the period of the characters' lives that MSCL encompasses, but, hypothetically speaking, if the show lasted until their late college years, it could have worked. Or even better, what if Brian and Rayanne had sex, and Jordan videotaped it? How would Angela respond to that?

I think that if the show had gone on much longer than it did, a lot more of the main characters would have wound up having sex with one another. It's funny to think about, but I'm glad that the show never devolved into that.

Deleted item

Post by Deleted item » Dec 21st 2003, 4:06 pm

sirhansirhan wrote:
grim4746 wrote:I always liked the idea of Brian and Rayanne getting together down the line. They had an exciting chemistry and the rebel tramp with the wishes-he were-a-rebel geek is a fun pairing.
You know, I have never given that thought much attention, but now that you bring it up, it is not only amusing, but almost logical. Of course it wouldn't really be realistic for this to happen during the period of the characters' lives that MSCL encompasses, but, hypothetically speaking, if the show lasted until their late college years, it could have worked. Or even better, what if Brian and Rayanne had sex, and Jordan videotaped it? How would Angela respond to that?

I think that if the show had gone on much longer than it did, a lot more of the main characters would have wound up having sex with one another. It's funny to think about, but I'm glad that the show never devolved into that.
Yes,I must say I am inclined to entertain that idea now that you mentioned it.

Couples in MSCL highschool senior year:

Rayanne and Brian( I agree with that one)

Patty and Kyle

Angela and Corey

Hallie and Neil

Graham and Mrs.Lerner

Sharon and Tino
and............................Jordan and Rickie

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 21st 2003, 5:45 pm

Deleted item wrote:Yes,I must say I am inclined to entertain that idea now that you mentioned it.

Patty and Kyle

Angela and Corey

Hallie and Neil

Graham and Mrs.Lerner

Sharon and Tino
:lol!: :D

WIth the pairings you've suggested I'm left wondering if you are really author, Catherine Clark . Although I can almost see Hallie and Neil. She sort of reminds me of Sheryl Fleck. I bet Ms. Lerner is a sex kitten, maybe her and Tino would have hooked up by Angela's senior year.

Deleteed item

The book

Post by Deleteed item » Dec 28th 2003, 7:17 am

grim4746 wrote:
Deleted item wrote:Yes,I must say I am inclined to entertain that idea now that you mentioned it.

Patty and Kyle

Angela and Corey

Hallie and Neil

Graham and Mrs.Lerner

Sharon and Tino
:lol!: :D

WIth the pairings you've suggested I'm left wondering if you are really author, Catherine Clark . Although I can almost see Hallie and Neil. She sort of reminds me of Sheryl Fleck. I bet Ms. Lerner is a sex kitten, maybe her and Tino would have hooked up by Angela's senior year.
Hey,what happened in the book?I haven't read it and I really want to know(altough everyone says that it sucks).Did Angela finally dump Jordan?

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 29th 2003, 6:52 pm

You can view a discussion of the books here.

chaseface888
Tino

Post by chaseface888 » Jan 18th 2004, 7:21 pm

I think part of the reason Jordan is attracted to Angela because she is different from other girls he has met, and he wants sex from her precisely because he can't get it from her, and everyone wants what they can't have. The same sort of element of mystery Angela has about Jordan, Jordan has about Angela.

Rayanne and Brian, well, that could be interesting, but I never thought it impossible. I imagine Rayanne would be the one kissing him and whatnot though, and she would be the *sexually* dominate one
Ethel the Pirate's Daughter

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Jan 18th 2004, 8:21 pm

chaseface888 wrote:I think part of the reason Jordan is attracted to Angela because she is different from other girls he has met, and he wants sex from her precisely because he can't get it from her, and everyone wants what they can't have. The same sort of element of mystery Angela has about Jordan, Jordan has about Angela.
I don't know, I think that Jordan wanted sex from Angela because he just wanted sex in general, and since Angela was obviously infatuated with him (and his girlfriend, at various times in the show) he figured that he could get it from her. I'm not sure that he wanted it because he knew he couldn't have it. Well, come to think of it, maybe that was the case in the later episodes, like the time when Brian is tutoring Jordan and Angela asks Jordan if there's anything that she can do to help and he suggests she have sex with him (the bit that is quoted in Candygirl's signature). But at first, anyway, I think Jordan thought that Angela would have sex with him, and that's why he went after it.

S&F

Post by S&F » Jan 21st 2004, 3:09 pm

sirhansirhan wrote:
chaseface888 wrote:I think part of the reason Jordan is attracted to Angela because she is different from other girls he has met, and he wants sex from her precisely because he can't get it from her, and everyone wants what they can't have. The same sort of element of mystery Angela has about Jordan, Jordan has about Angela.
I don't know, I think that Jordan wanted sex from Angela because he just wanted sex in general, and since Angela was obviously infatuated with him (and his girlfriend, at various times in the show) he figured that he could get it from her. I'm not sure that he wanted it because he knew he couldn't have it. Well, come to think of it, maybe that was the case in the later episodes, like the time when Brian is tutoring Jordan and Angela asks Jordan if there's anything that she can do to help and he suggests she have sex with him (the bit that is quoted in Candygirl's signature). But at first, anyway, I think Jordan thought that Angela would have sex with him, and that's why he went after it.
"Everyone wants what they can't have"? Bit of a cliche, don't you think?
Anyway, I agree with the guy with the burritos, Jordan wanted sex because he thought he could get it.And I don't think he ever gave up hope of getting in her pants, so when he said that she could help by sleeping with him ,I guess that's just him, "subtly" trying to reintroduce the subject.And also, he was all "mack daddy" with Brain, I mean, Brian's like "this is how you live" and Jordan is all smug "well,yeah".What a sleezy MF.So, when Angela showed up, I guess he wanted to show to the young apprentice how these things are done, but Angela's all like :P :lol: :lol: 8).You know, IMHO.