Fun poll

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 16th 2003, 6:15 pm

This is a cool thread, I enjoyed reading through these. When I get a little more time I'll respond also.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 16th 2003, 9:11 pm

Favorite over-all episode: Betrayal
Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: brian and angela's fight in Why Jordan Can't Read
Favorite, like, quote: "I know -- we don't like know each other or anything, but -- could I just ask you something?
Angela : Sure.
Cynthia : Did you ever work at Big Guy Burger?"
Event that most resembled an event in my own life: maybe Angela dying her hair because of Rayanne's likely off hand remark about her hair holding her back. It was this sort of thing that led me to start wearing cords, IMHO it was as big an improvement as Angela's hair.
Least fave moment: Graham and Patty getting carried away on Halloween and being continually interrupted by trick or treaters. The scene didn't work for me and always reminded me of a coffe commercial.
I got chills when: Angela sees her dad with that woman in the pilot.
I cringed when: Ricki said he thought he and Delia would be good together. and in Strangers in the House with the whole "squeeze my hand as hard as it hurts" crapola.
I cried when: Angela and Rayanne are on stage at the end of Betrayal
I smiled biggest when: Angela tells brian it's never happened and when it does she's going to laugh. or maybe when Rayanne was nice (sort of) to Sharon in Strangers in the House.
I laughed hardest when: It's mean I know but I think it's really funny in terms of the humour found in social awkwardness, when in Betrayal Brian asks Delia to 'like excuse' him and Sharon, and Delia is totally pissed off.
I hope that Angela chose (Jordan or Brian): I don't know if I could believe her choosing Brian at that point but I'd have really liked to see her choose not to be with Jordan. that doesn't really answer the question so if I have to clearly pick one or the other I guess Brian.
I hope that Angela and Rayanne make up (yes or no): Yes, look at the great friendship Camille and Patty would have missed out on if they hadn't gotten passed the same problem.
Character whose personality is most like mine: Angela
Character I'd most like to befriend: Hallie
Character who grew the most over that year: Brian

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 16th 2003, 10:16 pm

grim4746 wrote: Favorite moment between 2 or more characters: brian and angela's fight in Why Jordan Can't Read
I live for this scene! Okay, not literally, but it is filmed so cool! I love the camera angles and the cuts - how they end up in each other's faces and then just walk away. Great choice!!

Good call on the Big Guy Burger quote too!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 16th 2003, 10:29 pm

grim4746 wrote: Character I'd most like to befriend: Hallie
That is awesome! Nobody seems to like Hallie, I think she's pretty rad: "Well this utterly Sucks..." (This is actually the only MSCL life clip I have been able to incude in my teaching so far) I like her best in the earlier episodes -- "Self Esteem"and "Pressure"

"You're asking a *man* [to Graham, Brad] -- sorry, sorry -- to describe someone when I'm sitting here? Here's what he's like -- fairly -- out of it, not unintelligent. Sort of um -- stray puppy, you know the type you're always trying to ease their pain. He may even be a halfway decent person, but let me tell you -- *trouble*. *Way* too gorgeous."

Go Hallie!

And as far as the whole Graham thing, who can blame her? Graham is WAY SEXY! (IMHO)

I never would have thought that Brian had changed the most, but now that I think about it it kind of makes sense. What were you reasons? I guess we first have to define what how we interpret "change". I took it it to be change (not necessarily positive), rather than personal growth (usually understood to be good).
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Dec 17th 2003, 12:37 am

Nobody seems to like Hallie.
I just have a bias against Hallie because she comes between Graham and Patty. Of course, we only guess what would have happened during a second season, but I have a feeling that Hallie would have played a major role. She just seems like the poster child for the "other woman" to me. Therefore, that's what she will always be in my head, no matter what role she plays.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 17th 2003, 1:33 am

Jody Barsch* wrote: I never would have thought that Brian had changed the most, but now that I think about it it kind of makes sense. What were you reasons? I guess we first have to define what how we interpret "change". I took it it to be change (not necessarily positive), rather than personal growth (usually understood to be good).
Actually that was me being a dumbass and misreading the question. I thought it said "Character who grew on you the most over that year". I've been doing that all day, mentally inserting words that aren't actually there, I'm going to have to make an effort to read more carefully or get more sleep. I didn't like Brian much at first, I didn't dislike him, I more just had no real opinion of him but by the end of the series I liked him a lot and cared about his feelings and enjoyed watching his scenes. As for the actual question, I guess I'll try again.

Character who grew the most over that year: I'll say Ricki.
Jody Barsch* wrote: that is awesome! Nobody seems to like Hallie, I think she's pretty rad...Go Hallie! And as far as the whole Graham thing, who can blame her? Graham is WAY SEXY! (IMHO)
I know, a lot of people don't like Hallie. A lot of people seem to feel the same way Tomspeed does. They dislike her because of the interference she caused and would likely have continued to cause (though I know you disagree with that part) in Patty and Graham's marriage. But there are also a lot of people who just thought she was annoying and obnoxious. I can see their point but I loved her. I thought she was a lot of fun and for the most part she seemed really genuine. Definitely the character I'd most like to be friends with, so long as she refrained from having those long flirtatious talks of hers with my boyfriend. I certainly can't blame her for Graham, especially seeing as the series ended just in time to allow me to give her the continued benefit of the doubt. And in a some ways I think her and Graham are better suited. Graham is IMO a wimp who can't make decisions and he benefits from having a woman who will tell him what to do. Patty is quite capable of being that woman but I'm not convinced she wants to be, so when she does it it's in a terrible nagging unpleasant way. But Hallie seems to love pushing Graham in the direction she thinks he should go and she has fun with it and does it in a way that he enjoys himself too. But I think that she could have continued with the role while just being his friend/business partner and not turning into a full fledged home-wrecker.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Dec 17th 2003, 10:54 am

I will give the writers credit for treating the developing relationship between Graham and Hallie realistically. Infidelity often starts innocently. Married people can't turn off their sexual radar. Of course, they must either choose to act on their impulses or not.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 17th 2003, 6:41 pm

That's an important point you bring up Tom - it isn't just married people though. NO ONE can control who they are attracted to. It's just something that you feel. What we can all control is whether we do anything about that feeling. As an adult in a committed relationship, Graham has to decide if giving in to this feeling is worth jeopardizing his relationship with his family.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Dec 19th 2003, 3:49 pm

candygirl wrote:That's an important point you bring up Tom - it isn't just married people though. NO ONE can control who they are attracted to. It's just something that you feel. What we can all control is whether we do anything about that feeling. As an adult in a committed relationship, Graham has to decide if giving in to this feeling is worth jeopardizing his relationship with his family.
You're completely right Candygirl.That being said I don't see the point of getting married at all.I mean,if you're constantly gonna be attracted to somebody else other than your husband or wife, what's the point of getting married?What's the point of "a committed relationship" if you're constantly thinking about having sex with somebody else even though you're not acting on it?That really,REALLY sucks!It's better to just not get married and have sex with whoever you want.But I guess people are just too afraid of loneliness.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 19th 2003, 5:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:You're completely right Candygirl.That being said I don't see the point of getting married at all.I mean,if you're constantly gonna be attracted to somebody else other than your husband or wife, what's the point of getting married?What's the point of "a committed relationship" if you're constantly thinking about having sex with somebody else even though you're not acting on it?That really,REALLY sucks!It's better to just not get married and have sex with whoever you want.But I guess people are just too afraid of loneliness.
Being attracted to someone is like any other impulse you have. I don't go to Disneyland every time I think it would be fun. Similarly, I don't smack people who anger me, skip work because I feel lazy, or spend $10,000 at the mall because I see a bunch of cute clothes. For better or for worse, part of growing up and being a mature adult is learning to control your impulses and conforming to social norms, which is why there are laws (and the expectation that people will follow them) about things like urinating in public and driving the speed limit.

Just because people feel attracted to people other than their mates does not mean everyone is "constantly thinking about having sex with somebody else." It just means that you can't help who you are attracted to - sometimes it's people you know, other times it's complete strangers. The point is that you have to decide what is more important to you: having sex with a lot of people or not hurting your significant other's feelings. If you are with the kind of person that doesn't mind you having sex with other people then you won't have a problem.

Lastly, the point of marriage isn't just sex. Sex and attraction are definitely a component, but I have had sex with people that I didn't have much in common with. I have a lot in common with my boyfriend, though, and he is not only someone I have sex with but he is also my best friend. If he had been involved with someone when I met him, we would have still become friends because we can talk for hours, we have similar interests, like hanging out with each other, etc. Getting married isn't a ploy for people who "are afraid of loneliness." If that is true, then having friends is for people who are afraid of being lonely too.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 19th 2003, 5:41 pm

It's tough to explain if you've never been in committed relationship, so I'm not going to try too hard; but it is true that you will always have attractions to other people. However, at some point the game of dating and hooking up with people begins to look rather empty. And the relationship you've built with someone is far more valuable and appealing than beginning a new one with someone else. Of course this is assuming you have a healthy relationship to begin with. The bond you forge with your partner is far better than the potential lust with someone new. And when someone strays it’s not that the option of someone new is that much better, it’s that the current relationship is that much worse.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Post by Guest » Dec 19th 2003, 6:03 pm

Posted: Today at 4:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous wrote:
You're completely right Candygirl.That being said I don't see the point of getting married at all.I mean,if you're constantly gonna be attracted to somebody else other than your husband or wife, what's the point of getting married?What's the point of "a committed relationship" if you're constantly thinking about having sex with somebody else even though you're not acting on it?That really,REALLY sucks!It's better to just not get married and have sex with whoever you want.But I guess people are just too afraid of loneliness.

Being attracted to someone is like any other impulse you have. I don't go to Disneyland every time I think it would be fun. Similarly, I don't smack people who anger me, skip work because I feel lazy, or spend $10,000 at the mall because I see a bunch of cute clothes.

Well, good for you.

_RED_
Tino

Post by _RED_ » Jul 23rd 2004, 11:15 pm

1. Favorite Episode: Weekend
2. Favorite Moment: When she dyes her hair...and when her dad hears her and Brain talking about sex
3.Favorite Quote: "This is a dream...I've had this dream...only...without the cold-cuts" (Angela when jordan sneaks in to "um" with her
4.Least Favorite Moment: When rayanne almost died (overdosed)
5. Event that resembled an event in my life: Angela dancing to "Blister in the Sun" (and many many more)
6. I got chills when Angela and Jordan were about to "um" in that abandoned house
7. I cringed when Graham almosed kissed Hallie (Last episode)
8. I cried when: many times (the first time i cried, was the episode when Sharons dad had a heart attack, and Angela is talking to Sharon and they both cry, the funny thing is...angela has a contageous cry...and laugh)
9. I smiled biggest when: Graham didnt kiss Hallie
10. I laughed hardest when: Rayanne said "he left his keys in rickie's pants (Halloween) and when Kevin (sharons bf, thats his name right??) says something like "Brian Krackow has Rayanne Graff, chained to the bed, and they're all watching" and rayanne is yelling "It's too big, it wont fit!!!" (Weekend)
11. Angela should choose: Brian, cause u know how bad he wants her, and you know how much Jordan doesnt deserve her...but thats just "my humble opinion"
12. Should Angela and RayAnne make up: Duh
13. Which personality is most like mine: Angela, Duh²
14. I would most like to befriend: Rickie...what a cutie pie
15. Character which grew the most: I dont really know
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would have recieved instructions on where to go and what to do.
~*~*Red*~*~

LizzieBoredom
Frozen Embryo

Post by LizzieBoredom » Jul 24th 2004, 11:09 pm

Favorite over-all episode: Why Jordan Can't Read
Favorite moment between two characters: When Sharon and Angela become friends again after Sharon's dad's heart attack.
Favorite quote: "Sometimes it seems like we're all living in, like, some kind of prison. And the crime is how much we hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up, once in a while. And admit the truth. That when you really look closely, people are so strange and so complicated that they're actually...beautiful. Possibly even me."
Least favorite moment between two characters: Jordan and Angela: "Because you just don't get it, okay? You're *supposed* to! It's accepted -- it's what you're supposed to do! Unless you're -- like -- abnormal."
Event that most resembled an event in my life: The whole sex rumor about Angela and Jordan, and the resulting treatment by random unknown guys in school after that. It sucked.
I got chills when: Jordan finally takes Angela's hand, in front of his friends and everyone else. I like watching everyone's reactions as well. "I, I close my door at night, but she gets in alright..."
I cringed when: Patty gets very drunk and starts making obnoxious comments to the owner and then strips, or when Rayanne gets up to sing, and just freaks out instead. Oh, and the Anne Frank "Lucky." comment, along with her reasoning. Ouch.
I cried when: I don't know. The end of the Christmas episode maybe. The part when Jordan takes Angela's hand always gets me too, I think the song has a lot to do with it.
I smiled biggest when: Ricky and Delia go out and dance and they're great. They just look so happy, which made me smile after the crap they had happen earlier in the episode.
I laughed hardest when: "Lately I can't even look at my mother without wanting to stab her repeatedly." I just loves the way she stabs her potatoes with her fork while saying this.
I hoped that Angela chose: I don't know. I flip between Jordan and Brian. I think Brian is really cute, but kind of spazzy, while Jordan is kind of cute, but kind of jerky.
I hoped that Rayanne and Angela would make up: Yes.
Character who's personality is most like mine: Probably a mixture of Angela and Ricky.
Character I'd most like to befriend: Ha. Probably Angela or Ricky.
Character who grew the most: Rayanne.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 10th 2004, 11:49 am

Favorite episode~ "self-esteem"

Favorite moment~ when Jordan grabs Angela's hand in "Self-esteem"

Favorite quote~ there so many... I like most of them!!

Least favorite moment~ Probably when Angela sees her dad with another women

Event like my life~ I would say When Brian blows off Delia for the dance to go with Angela.. ( I know thats mean, but we probably all broke some ones heart that way)

I got chills~ On the last episode when Angela and Jordan are kissing in the hall way!!

I cringed~ on the episode pressure, when Jordan calls Angela "ABNORMAL"

I cried~ when Jordan Grabs Angela's hand and the end of self-esteem

I smiled biggest~ In the episode Pressure, when Jordan is downstairs in Angela's house and her mom comes down and says she wants to meet Jordan, because angela likes him alot.. And then Jordan Says you like me your mom says you really like me!!!

I laughed hardest~ On the last episode when Patty is talking to Jordan and the phone rings, Jordan says "If thats Tino, Tell him im not here"

I hope Angela chose~ JORDAN!!!!!!!! <3

I hope Rayanne and Angela make up~ Yes, If she is Ok with Jordan about what happened Rayanne deserves a 2nd Chance!!

Charector im like~ Between Angela and Rayanne.. Not quite as wild as Rayanne, but wilder then Angela!! Im like them both in some ways!

Who I would like to be friends with~ Angela or Jordan

The charector that grows the most~ I would have to say everyone in the show grew!!