Return of the King

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Return of the King

Post by lance » Nov 24th 2003, 11:32 am

Hello,

Anybody else fired up to see the last Lord of the Rings films? I know that here in the US is set to open on 12/17. New Line is owned by the same people who made the Matrix. The last Matrix has a worldwide release day, maybe ROK will also be released worldwide on 12/17. One can hope.

I am seriously looking foward to this film. So much to see: the battle for Minis Tirith, Frodo & Sam crossing into Mordor and facing Minis Morgol, the king of the Nazgul and so much more.

Possible [spoiler]I have heard talk that Saruman's appearance in the Shire at the end of the ROK will not be in the theatrical release but may make an appearance in the Extended Edition release set for next November.[/spoiler]

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Another question...

Post by lance » Nov 24th 2003, 11:36 am

Ahh,

forgot something, anybody going to the extended edition theater marathon? I would love to go but I don't know that I could stand sitting all day though the whole thing.

Now if theaters were smart they would have excerise cycles set up for patrons to use inbetween movies, say during the credits.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 24th 2003, 2:28 pm

extended edition marathon??? That would take @12 hours!!! I don't think I could sit through that in my own home. Maybe one a day, three days in a row I could do. Peter Jackson said this third film is his favorite, so I bet it'll be really great. Can't wait to see it on the 17th!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 24th 2003, 4:27 pm

I've been watching my Two Towers discs. Anyone know if there is a trailer for ROTK on it? And what color do you think the ROTK box set will be? I'm guessing a deep golden yellow.

I'm continually amazed at the quality of both these movies, and their dvd sets. I spent 4-5 hours yesterday watching some of the extras, and thats only the FIRST DISC!!!

The love and passion and details that went into making these movies is just stunning. They weren't just creating props for a movie. They were creating whole cultures.

I can't wait to be a part of that. :D
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 24th 2003, 5:02 pm

I believe the ROTK trailer is an easter egg somewhere on either the first or second disc. Go over to DVDTalk.com forums, I know there was a thread on this the other day.

I have only watched the movie so far, none of the extras. What an amazing transfer! Beautiful stuff. I enjoyed the movie, maybe not as much as the first one, but still great. Anxiously awaiting the next one. Sucks that I have to wait a year for the next EE release. :(

TOnight I will probably watch some extras...then I go back to my Space Ghost Coast to Coast set :lol: :mrgreen:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 25th 2003, 5:46 am

I got the Two Towers region 2 DVD for my birthday so I'm wading my way through the extras and waiting for Mr. S to go out for the evening so I can watch the film (he hates LOTR).

On my box set I think it even says there is a ROTK preview... I will check it out tonight.

I cannot wait for this film. You can catch the trailer on lordoftherings.net and if you haven't seen it, well, it looks pretty cool. It sent shivers down my spine. I'm hoping to persuade someone to go with me to see it on 17th but I may have to wait til I can go with my dad between christmas and new year...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

ROk

Post by lance » Nov 26th 2003, 11:02 am

Early Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all:

I have finished watching the the the first two Discs off the Two Towers Extended DVD plus several of the documentaries.

All I can say is Wow.

:shock:

The whole cast and crew really put their collective hearts into this project. The section on the stunt crew on Disc 4 is awesome. I agree with Fnordboy I am somewhat daunted by having to wait a year for the next EE release. I do hope that at some point Peter Jackson does the Hobbit.

I was wandering last night through my local Kroger and and what did I see? The new issue of Newsweek, the cover has Aragorn. Next thing I knew I had this goofy grin on my face and happily handed a $5 bill to the checkout clerk. A large article gives info on the movie and the ROK Extended Edition release for next year.

Warning major spoilers:
[spoiler]In ROK theatrical release, Aragorn marries Arwen. I am pretty sure that did not happen in the books. I actually like this idea, being a romantic and all. Also you will not see what happens to Saruman.

In ROK EE you will not see Saruman terrorizing the Shire, as he did at the end of the book. Peter Jackson did not like it so out it went. You will see Grima Wormtongue kill off Saruman. You will see Aragorn heal Faramir and Eoryn (Rohan princess, daughter of the King, I can't recall the spelling right now) during the battle of Minis Tirith. [/spoiler]

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 26th 2003, 11:23 am

Hey Lance:
[spoiler] yeah they did marry in the book... it was really not made a big deal of, like the rest of the romantic stuff, but it definitely happened. Blink and you would have missed it though. I'm sure they will focus on it more in the film[/spoiler]

and yeah, I am pretty dismayed that they have [spoiler]cut Saruman from the final film theatrical release. Apparently Christopher Lee is pretty upset and refusing to go to the premiere because of it. I also think that it is probably just another way for them to get people to buy the extended editions... so they can see the work in full. I can't imagine it would have needed more than a 10 min slot in the movie, to be honest.[/spoiler]

Still, all in all I am excited about this film.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 30th 2003, 8:32 pm

How to get thrown out of The Return of the King, Or, What Not To Say

1. Stand up halfway through the movie and yell loudly, "Wait... where the hell is Harry Potter?"

2. Block the entrance to the theater while screaming: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" - After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."

3. Play a drinking game where you have to take a sip every time someone says: "The Ring."

4. Point and laugh whenever someone dies.

5. Ask everyone around you if they think Gandalf went to Hogwarts.

6. Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mr. Anderson."

7. When Aragorn is crowned king, stand up and at the top of your lungs sing, "And I did it.... MY way...!"

8. Talk like Gollum all through the movie. At the end, bite off someone's finger and fall down the stairs.

9. Dress up as old ladies and reenact "The Battle of Helms Deep" Monty Python style.

10. When Denethor lights the fire, shout "Barbecue!"

11. In TTT when the Ents decide to march to war, stand up and shout "RUN FOREST, RUN!"

12. Every time someone kills an Orc, yell: "That's what I'm Tolkien about!" See how long it takes before you get kicked out of the theatre.

13. During a wide shot of a battle, inquire, "Where's Waldo?"

14. Talk loudly about how you heard that there is a single frame of a nude Elf hidden somewhere in the movie.

15. Start an Orc sing-a-long.

16. Come to the premiere dressed as Frankenfurter and wander around looking terribly confused.

17. When they go in the paths of the dead, wait for tense moment and shout, "I see dead people!"

18. Imitate what you think a conversation between Gollum, Dobby and Yoda would be like.

19. Release a jar of daddy-long-legs into the theater during the Shelob scene.

20. Wonder out loud if Aragorn is going to run for governor of California.

21. When Shelob comes on, exclaim, "Man! Charlotte's really let herself go!"
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 30th 2003, 9:40 pm

Wow, great list. I laughed harder at that than anything this week. Great! Did you make that up, or did you find it somewhere?
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 1st 2003, 3:01 pm

I can't take credit for coming up with any of those, but I thought the list was funny enough to share!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Loz_179
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Loz_179 » Dec 3rd 2003, 12:31 am

OK, i laughed... out loud... at work... which is bad coz everyone else here is all old and stuffy, and I don't think I'm sposed to be on the net...

It was No. 11 that did it!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

great stuff

Post by lance » Dec 3rd 2003, 12:32 pm

Candy,

Thanks for posting the list, that stuff is hilarious. I especially like #2 & 6.

Reminds of the first time I saw the Lion King. During the scene when Simba talks to his father my brother turns to me and says, "Luke, I am your father." Two nearby people sushed him, one looked at him with a confused expression and two others giggled.

-LanceMan

Loz_179
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Loz_179 » Dec 3rd 2003, 6:43 pm

It reminded me of something similar:
In Armegeddon my friend yelled out "Armageddon outta here" when they were first describing the asteroid.
It was very embarassing, but funny...

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 16th 2003, 9:13 pm

Cool list!

When I saw TTT on dvd, the Battle of Helm's Deep inspired several shouts of "You f***ing Mongowians! You tear down my chitty wall! I'm gonna get you, Mongowians!"

:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain