Firefly DVD and Movie Planned

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 16th 2003, 6:24 pm

From Fireflyfans.net:
Good news for those of you who are wondering about the upcoming Firefly DVD Set release date. According to Mutant Enemy President Chris Buchanan, as of this morning, the release date of the Firefly DVD set is still December 9th and that FOX Home Entertainment does not anticipate any problems. "Trust me, [Fox Home Entertainment] wants to make sure the DVDs are available for holiday purchasers," wrote Buchanan in an email to FIREFLYFANS.NET. "It's pure American capitalism -- the more DVDs they sell, the more $$$ they make."

Originally priced at $37.49 on AMAZON.COM, the Firefly DVD Set was available for pre-order earlier this summer before fans of the TV series exhausted Amazon's allotted inventory in just a couple of days. At its peak the Firefly DVD Set held the #2 spot on Amazon's bestsellers list. "[Fox Home Entertainment] pushed [Mutant Enemy] and the cast of [Firefly] hard to complete production of all of the (tons of) ancillary DVD materials in time for a fall release," added Buchanan, referring to the loads of interviews and commentaries by cast members, writers, and directors--including Joss Whedon--that are on the DVDs for all episodes of Firefly, plus the three that were never aired in the US, and the hilariously funny Firefly Gag Reel.

While pre-orders are no longer accepted on AMAZON.COM, Firefly fans have been able to pre-order through other sources such as Best Buys and Barnes and Noble, but availability is sporadic at best. Please check back here on FIREFLYFANS.NET for any news of availability.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 18th 2003, 4:59 am

Info from tvshowsondvd:
DVDPlanet.com now has a listing up for pre-orders of Fox's Firefly: The Complete Series.

While we are still waiting on official information from Fox, the fine folk at DVDPlanet are giving us a few details up front. Let's look at them:

Dec. 9, 2003 release date
4 DVDs, 315 Minutes
$49.98 Suggested Retail Price
DVDPlanet states "Fullscreen" video (I would not count on this until we get official word from the studio)
English Stereo
English & Spanish subtitles

Extras:
Disc 1: Commentary: Serenity Part 1 & 2, the Train Job
Disc 2: Commentary: Shindig
Disc 3: Commentary: Out of Gas, War Stories
Disc 4: Commentary: Objects in Space, The Message, featurettes: "Heres How How it Was", (Making of), Serenity: The Tenth Character, Joss' Tour of the set, Alan Tudyk's audition, gag reel, Joss Sings the Firefly theme, deleted scenes: Serenity - scene 1 - rt: 1:34, Serenity - scene 74-75 - rt: 4:34, Our Mrs. reynolds - scene 18 - tr: 3:39, Objects In Space - scene 6 - rt: 2:08, easter egg: Adam Baldwin sings "Hero of Canton"
Easter Eggs

Stay tuned for complete, official details from Fox, possibly as soon as tomorrow. We'll get it to you as soon as it's available.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 19th 2003, 6:19 pm

Amazon has Firefly up for preorder again, so you can re-pre-order.

:D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2003, 9:15 pm

You can now view the cover art here!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 8th 2003, 2:03 am

From Fireflyfans.net:
Due to confusion caused by conflicting DVD specifications posted by Amazon and other online retailers for the Firefly DVD set, Chris Buchanan posted the following message on the FOX forum to clear matters up a bit:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To give you a quick response to a complicated subject...
The Firefly DVD will be in the 16:9 format (1.78:1).

I know that there are a multitude of issues surrounding the definitions of "letterbox" "widescreen" & "anamorphic" etc, but I'll be real practical here:

We shot the show on 35mm film in an aspect ration of 1.78:1 with a 1.33:1 (or 4:3) box to enable us to deliver both a "regular" TV version and a "widescreen" TV version to Fox Broadcasting. (Firefly was always conceived as a 16:9 show, but Fox, as a policy, does not broadcast any letterboxed shows. That being said, their HDTV broadcasts do go out widescreen.)

As for any differences in what you've already seen, we might have rendered some of the title work in 1.85:1 (anamorphic) but I really can't remember.

The bottom line is: What you are getting on DVD is what Joss intended: 16:9. No fake letterbox bars on a 4:3 show, no "panned and scanned" anything, just Serenity and her crew in glorious widescreen!

Hope that clarifies things.

Best,
Buchanan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2003, 1:23 am

A great interview with Joss about Firefly:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/advance/01_interview.html

And the first two parts of an ongoing interview with Joss and Tim Minnear:

http://64.5.52.62/%7ecfqcom/nuked/modul ... le&sid=166

http://64.5.52.62/%7ecfqcom/nuked/modul ... le&sid=169

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 7th 2003, 2:30 am

Supposedly, due to a price screwup, you can preorder Firefly at SUncoast for 19.99. Some Suncoasts have caught this so it might be known throughout them all now, but you can try in Mediaplays and Sam Goodys also. I am going to try this on monday to see if it is in fact true.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 7th 2003, 8:37 pm

What happened is they had the wrong price printed on the order forms, so Suncoast has to honor the $19.99 price for everyone who filled out the forum with the typo. They fixed it a while back though, so if you preorder now, it's 39.99 :( Let me know if you have any luck at Mediaplay or Sam Goody!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 7th 2003, 10:54 pm

candygirl wrote:What happened is they had the wrong price printed on the order forms, so Suncoast has to honor the $19.99 price for everyone who filled out the forum with the typo. They fixed it a while back though, so if you preorder now, it's 39.99 :( Let me know if you have any luck at Mediaplay or Sam Goody!
I have heard that recently people are still getting it, so there are some places that haven't updated.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 8th 2003, 12:39 am

Sticking it to the man - woo hoo! Like I said, let me know if you are able to get it for $19.99 because all the places I tried out here already took care of this pricing issue.

:evil:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2003, 11:54 am

candygirl wrote:Sticking it to the man - woo hoo! Like I said, let me know if you are able to get it for $19.99 because all the places I tried out here already took care of this pricing issue.

:evil:
Well, because of the snow and everything I never got to get to Sam Goody or Suncoast to see about the preorder price. :( I was at Costco last night though picking up BtVS S5 and they had Firefly for a great price of $31.99 I didnt have enough cash though, so I am waiting until next week to pick it up. Looks nice though.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 11th 2003, 1:54 pm

I ordered my copy at dvdsoon.com, they shipped it for CAD 44.98 (around 34 US-$). International shipping is free :-) Can't wait to watch the series...
Thanks to the strong Euro, I paid less than 28 Euro - that's an amazing price for a complete boxset.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2003, 3:39 pm

Apparently the Cost Co near my house totally SUCKS because they didn't have Firefly, BtVS S5, or any new DVDs out (they did, however, have Ruben Studdard's new CD :lol: ). I ended up buying Buffy at Circuit City and since they couldn't find a single copy of Firefly in the store after a 40 minute search (despite the fact that their computer said they had a bunch in stock), I ended up buying that at Target.

P.S. I am sooooo glad that Fox packaged Firefly in the individual slim cases instead of those horrid foldout gateway packages - woo hoo!

:mrgreen:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 18th 2003, 10:19 pm

I finally picked up my copy of Firefly today, 31.99 at costco. Nice looking set. Hopefully I will get a chance tonight to watch an ep or two :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 18th 2003, 10:28 pm

So far, I have only watched the special features. I think I'm going to bring the set with me when I go to visit my parents over the holidays and watch it during the wee hours of the morning when everyone else is asleep.

Would you believe I read at some other forums that some people who filled out the $19.99 preorder slips were still being charged $39.99? Heh, I believe it too.