Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Dec 3rd 2003, 9:32 pm

Hunee wrote:DONT FORGET YALL SEASON FIVE HITS STORES ON DECEMBER 9TH!!!
I'm thinking about purchasing this box, well, actually the r2 one, but I was wondering if anyone knows when the audio commentaries were recorded.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2003, 9:54 pm

I'm not sure exactly when the S5 commentaries were recorded, but I know that the R2 version was released in October 2002. Since we know that Firefly began production earlier that same year (meaning Joss was busy), I would guess he recorded his commentary for The Body waaaay before then. I don't know about when Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie, David Fury, and David Grossman recorded theirs though since there is a pretty big window between when S5 ended and when it was released on DVD. Over the summer hiatus maybe?

ETA: Seth, Joss, and Marti recorded the S4 Wild at Heart commentary during the fall of S6 (2001) and Joss mentions stealing some of the BtVS crew for Firefly. Based on that, I would estimate that the S5 commentary was recorded in the spring of 2002 but still speculation on my part.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Dec 4th 2003, 7:12 am

candygirl wrote:I'm not sure exactly when the S5 commentaries were recorded, but I know that the R2 version was released in October 2002. Since we know that Firefly began production earlier that same year (meaning Joss was busy), I would guess he recorded his commentary for The Body waaaay before then. I don't know about when Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie, David Fury, and David Grossman recorded theirs though since there is a pretty big window between when S5 ended and when it was released on DVD. Over the summer hiatus maybe?
Ok, thank you for the info.

That the commentaries must've been recorded well before October 2002, possibly during the summer, sounds promising: I don't have too much catching up to do before listening to them; currently I'm somewhere around the middle of season six. I don't mind the speculations audible in the commentaries but plain spoilers (s7) are just a bit too much.

Yes, would go without saying that I've been extra careful when browsing posts in this thread :)
candygirl wrote:ETA: Seth, Joss, and Marti recorded the S4 Wild at Heart commentary during the fall of S6 (2001) and Joss mentions stealing some of the BtVS crew for Firefly.
Wild at Heart commentary is missing from the r2 release. Hmm, perhaps some website has transcript for that one; must do some searching.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2003, 3:18 pm

Coincidentally, someone at another forum just posted a link to a site where you can hear clips from the S5 commentaries: http://www.themanroom.com/dvd_news.php

There are transcripts of the Wild at Heart commentary, but they're pretty long.
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Dec 4th 2003, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 4th 2003, 3:26 pm

I need to get this but the Quadrilogy and Ben Stiller Show raped me this week :cry: Gonna have to wait till I get paid again :(

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 4th 2003, 4:56 pm

fnordboy wrote:I need to get this but the Quadrilogy and Ben Stiller Show raped me this week :cry: Gonna have to wait till I get paid again :(
Ack!

I feel your pain on this one. I am putting off my continued acquistion of Farscape DVDs until I finish off Babylon 5.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2003, 5:00 pm

Hee, I didn't buy the Quadrilogy or Ben Stiller so I will have plenty of money to buy Buffy next week! Okay, not plenty of money but enough.

:mrgreen:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2003, 6:39 pm

Now let's have a moment of ass-whupping! I just found out that the R1 S5 DVD that is being released next week does not include the previousleys for The Gift. WTF?!

On the plus side, Best Buy is doing a special - if you buy S5, you get the BtVS movie (with our pal Luke Perry, pre-When Harry Met Sally) free. I will probably still buy mine at Cost Co.

In other news, it looks like the S7 DVDs will include commentaries for Lessons, Selfless, Conversations with Dead People, The Killer in Me, Lies My Parents Told Me, Dirty Girls, and Chosen (the British Film Board Classification lists this information).

ETA: A member at the http://www.buffy.com.au forum mentioned the following people have recorded commentaries:

Conversations With Dead People - Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Nick Marck, Tom Lenk, and Danny Strong

Lies My Parents Told Me - James Marsters, Drew Goddard, DB Woodside & David Fury

Chosen - Joss Whedon

Unconfirmed commentary participants (speculation):
The Killer in Me - Drew Greenberg
Dirty Girls - Drew Goddard
Selfless - Drew Goddard

Other features that have been classified by the BBFC for S7 so far:
Featurette - Spike Character Profile (00:15:00 RT)
Featurette - Willow Character Profile (00:14:38 RT)
Featurette - Faith Character Profile (00:15:00 RT)
Featurette - Angel Character Profile (00:14:16 RT)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 4th 2003, 10:21 pm

candygirl wrote:Now let's have a moment of ass-whupping! I just found out that the R1 S5 DVD that is being released next week does not include the previousleys for The Gift. WTF?!
I was going to post this the other day but figured it was already known. I never saw this and it sounds interesting. Any way of finding that clip online?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 5th 2003, 1:55 am

I haven't looked for it online, but I would guess it should be available at any of the P2P sites. I guess I'll have to tape that ep the next time it airs on FX (which won't be for a while since tonight's episode was the S2 finale).

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 5th 2003, 2:34 am

candygirl wrote:I haven't looked for it online, but I would guess it should be available at any of the P2P sites. I guess I'll have to tape that ep the next time it airs on FX (which won't be for a while since tonight's episode was the S2 finale).
Does Joss even have any say on what goes on these sets? 'Cause I can't see how he would not want that on the set. Hell, even put it as an extra or even an easter egg.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 6th 2003, 11:07 pm

There is actually an interesting little story in this Sunday's USA Weekend (the insert that comes with the newspaper) about DVD extras. Sometimes the actors are the ones who nix the bloopers and outtakes, while other times it's the suits who decide not to include extras (like people imitating Beavis and Butt-head). You can read the entire article here. I do wonder whose decision it was not to include this particular previously though.

:evil:

In BtVS S5 news, some info from tvshowsondvd:
This coming Tuesday sees the release of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 5. One of the first things that purchasers may notice is the insert which implores you to "Continue Your Collection". On the back it says "The Complete Sixth Season on DVD...6-Disc Collection Available May 2004".

We've been getting e-mails left and right from fans who have gotten ahold of their Season 5 packages early, and see this insert and tell us that our report of a July 6 release must be mistaken.

TVShowsOnDVD site owner Gord Lacey has inquired with Fox about this. Fox's response was that the latest release date, which is more current than the one printed on the insert, is July. So that's that! Please disregard the May thing on the card, and hang on just a few more weeks for the July 6th street date. I'm sure you'll agree that "Once More, With Feeling" is worth the wait!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Dec 7th 2003, 2:17 pm

Sorry to hear about the incorrect insert.

So we have to wait until July for Season 6. This sucks, but on the plus side this does give us two more months to get the necessary cash together.

-Lance

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 8th 2003, 7:58 pm

Some Jossverse alumni news:
According to this article, Charisma Carpenter will be appearing on Miss Match this Friday, December 12th, and Nate Fillion will appear on a special (non-Friday) episode on Monday, December 15.

This article says that Gina Torres will appear on 24.

You can view pictures of Alyson Hannigan with her bobblehead Commie award here.

Sarah Michelle Gellar will be appearing on the Graham Norton show (he is recording in LA the week before Christmas).

Juliet Landau will appear on Strong Medicine on Sunday, December 14.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2003, 11:57 am

Picked up S5 yesterday :) $36.99 at Costco.

Watched the first two eps. so far. I have to say, I hate Riley even more now than ever :lol: I really can not stand him. The whole Dawn thing is weird, but I think I understand why she is there. I don't know if I like the whole way they went about it though. It is very jarring, and I understand it is supposed to be, but still unsettling in a way.

And the more I see Anya on the screen the more she becomes my favorite. Her character is hilarious, and she is just beautiful. :oops: