Portrait of a Winner

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Post by guitarchick » Dec 4th 2003, 3:54 pm

I'm pretty left-winged myself... But yeah, I don't post very often... Actually, it's funny... my friend Luke thinks it is hillarious that I check the MSCL message board every day to chat about politics... The other day, he was like: "Anyways, I have to get back to the Sabrina the teenage witch chat room, we're discussing the environment and the implications of the Kyoto protocol..." lol

Emilie

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 4th 2003, 4:21 pm

guitarchick wrote:
Guitarchick/Emilie,

Bless you. You have hit the nail squarely on the head.
Thanks LanceMan. :)

It's interesting that you brought up ClearChannel... I hate that corporation with a passion! Thank god we've managed to keep them out of Canada.

http://www.fujichia.com/billboards/6a.html

Emilie
Emilie,

Thanks for the link, got a good laugh. Good job on keeping ClearChannel out.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 4th 2003, 4:23 pm

guitarchick wrote:I'm pretty left-winged myself... But yeah, I don't post very often... Actually, it's funny... my friend Luke thinks it is hillarious that I check the MSCL message board every day to chat about politics... The other day, he was like: "Anyways, I have to get back to the Sabrina the teenage witch chat room, we're discussing the environment and the implications of the Kyoto protocol..." lol

Emilie
Yeah,

You wouldn't suspect that a site dedicated to a tv show would have an active political forum, but there you go.

-LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 4th 2003, 4:30 pm

guitarchick wrote:... my friend Luke thinks it is hillarious that I check the MSCL message board every day to chat about politics... The other day, he was like: "Anyways, I have to get back to the Sabrina the teenage witch chat room, we're discussing the environment and the implications of the Kyoto protocol..." lol
:lol: :lol:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 4th 2003, 4:41 pm

starbug wrote:
No, no, no. That's not what I'm saying at all. Look, the USA has the highest per capita expenditure of energy in the world. While some of that has to do with being an industrialised, western nation (of course), I have been to the USA something like between 15 and 20 times, and I have never ever witnessed such flagrant consumption of energy for reasons that are purely comfort.
I'll give a few examples.
- Air conditioning cranked up so high that shops are actually COLD. There's just no need.
- my own relatives going out for the day and leaving the aircon running, the lights on, the windows open, AND the radio playing ALL DAY while they aren't even there, so that it's on already when they get home and they don't have to walk the 20 feet to put it on.
- your public transport sucks so you drive everywhere.
- not only that but you do it in vastly uneconomical cars (SUVs for example) which get maybe 12 miles to the gallon.
- using 19 napkins when one will do.
Starbug,

You are right on when comes to public transport. The USA's cities (there are exceptions mind you) have little public transport. It is quite true that here in the States you must have access to an automobile to get from point A to point B. In some big cities like Houston you can't get to some parts of town by way of the bus. Here in Cincinnati, because of state and federal government budget cuts, some bus routes are being canceled and fares are going up. Fares for the disabled are going up from $.75 one way to $5.00.
mglenn wrote:Here's a scary thought, maybe these WMD have already been smuggled out and are now holed up in a safe place waiting to be used.
well, that's true. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Osama popped up tomorrow in Washington DC having been living there for the last 2 years...
Funny you should mention that, I just saw a bumper sticker that has Osama Bin Laden for Bush in '04, the caption reads: "Because my freedom depends on it."

-LanceMan