California Fires

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

California Fires

Post by andrewgd » Oct 31st 2003, 5:25 pm

Interesting:

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-fema31oct31,1,443306.story
The Bush administration took six months to evaluate Gov. Gray Davis' emergency request last spring for $430 million to clear dead trees from fire-prone areas of Southern California.

The request was finally denied Oct. 24, only hours before wildfires roared out of control in what has become the largest fire disaster in California history.
"After a careful review of the information contained in your request, the authorities granted to [Department of Agriculture] and [Department of Interior], and the resources they have already committed to the state, it has been determined that the federal assistance through FEMA is not warranted."
I dunno, about now it seems very warranted. I'm not saying Bush went out and set the fires himself, but his administration did drag its feet to get CA the resources it needed to fix the problem. And then caused a scenario much, much worse than having to spend the money to deter the problem.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 31st 2003, 5:57 pm

Well everyone is pointing fingers now:
A spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (news - web sites), which handled the Davis request, said it decided against the proposal largely because Congress had already agreed to provide $43 million this year for fighting the beetle infestation in Southern California and the sum seemed appropriate at the time.

But state officials say the money represented only a small part of the $450 million needed to clear the forest of dead trees and eliminate the fire danger.

Local and state officials had warned that the forests were a disaster waiting to happen, and some have criticized Davis for not moving more aggressively to combat the problem.

"The Davis administration twice rejected San Bernardino's request for a state of emergency to be declared and we had to beat up on them to finally get it," he said. "The fact is that everyone has been late to this party."
from http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _request_1
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Nov 1st 2003, 3:00 am

The worst time to point fingers is when the fires are still burning. And the last time I checked, they unfortunately were.

:roll:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 1st 2003, 3:12 am

GaryEA wrote:The worst time to point fingers is when the fires are still burning. And the last time I checked, they unfortunately were.

Ok, here is the plan: Once they are out. All fingers point to Bush...just for the hell of it :twisted:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Nov 1st 2003, 3:36 am

Ok, here is the plan: Once they are out. All fingers point to Bush...just for the hell of it icon_twisted.gif
I'm all for that plan. I just have to choose which finger to use (decisions, decisions).

:wink:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 2nd 2003, 2:54 pm

fnordboy wrote:
GaryEA wrote:The worst time to point fingers is when the fires are still burning. And the last time I checked, they unfortunately were.

Ok, here is the plan: Once they are out. All fingers point to Bush...just for the hell of it :twisted:
Works for me. :wink:

I am totally surprised that Rush, Hannity, Coulter haven't blamed it on Clinton yet.

LanceMan