FLCL (Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly) (Spoilers)

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

FLCL (Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly) (Spoilers)

Post by andrewgd » Oct 21st 2003, 4:47 pm

I caught the first episode of this on Cartoon Network last night. Fnordboy, this is aimed at you, what the heck is going on????? That was the MOST insane thing I've EVER seen!!! But I LOVE it! The animation and posing and character design are amazing.

The sweetness and tenderness and longing of the girl leaning into the boy at the beginning and end were really touching...and something I hadn't really seen in anime yet. And oh my god, what was up with the manga section? That was some of the dirtiest talk I've seen on Cartoon Network. I was shocked. So does the father want to boink the girl, and then insinuates that his son has already?

I'm going to have to watch tonight!!

There's been nothing else on, so I've gotten hooked on the Cartoon Network anime lineup. So far I've really enjoyed Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, Big O and Blue Gender are just ok...and the rest are mostly junk, but its still better than latenight repeats on other networks.
Last edited by andrewgd on Oct 29th 2003, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 21st 2003, 5:45 pm

furikurifurikurifurikurifurikuri

Ah, yes. FLCL. A great anime. It is a little out there, and it doesn't let up at all in it's intensity (be warned). It is a great little show. Unfortunately it is only 6 episodes long. The interaction between Naoto and Mamimi is just amazing IMO.

If you really like it I recommend picking up the DVDs, they have commentaries with the Japanese director among other extras that are prettu insightful into the show.

The animemation is outstanding, and the character design is great. It is a new style for Gainax (Neon Genesis Evangelion) and I liked it. They use a similar style of character design in a later show they did called Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai.

Keep watching, it is a great series.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 21st 2003, 6:24 pm

fnordboy wrote:It is a new style for Gainax (Neon Genesis Evangelion) and I liked it.
Ahhhh, that explains a few things... Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of the first series that really piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I've only seen the first 3 episodes (too much $$$ to get the series for me :cry: )

It could all almost be explained until the robot and the robot hand exploded out of his head and battled on the bridge. The last shot made it look like the robot is now a main character too, but then again, it could completely disappear next episode (the way things were going).

I'm kinda glad to hear its only 6 episodes. Some of my friends in college were really into Fushigi Yuugi, and would watch it endlessly.... its definitely made me dislike these series that go on and on forever. I like a clear, contained storyline. Its the best way. ;)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 21st 2003, 10:55 pm

andrewgd wrote:
fnordboy wrote:It is a new style for Gainax (Neon Genesis Evangelion) and I liked it.
Ahhhh, that explains a few things... Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of the first series that really piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I've only seen the first 3 episodes (too much $$$ to get the series for me :cry: )

It could all almost be explained until the robot and the robot hand exploded out of his head and battled on the bridge. The last shot made it look like the robot is now a main character too, but then again, it could completely disappear next episode (the way things were going).

I'm kinda glad to hear its only 6 episodes. Some of my friends in college were really into Fushigi Yuugi, and would watch it endlessly.... its definitely made me dislike these series that go on and on forever. I like a clear, contained storyline. Its the best way. ;)
Wow, you have only seen the first 3 eps of Eva??? You missed out on a GREAT series, if you can rent it somewhere DO IT, you will not be disappointed at all. The first 15 episodes of the series are kind of slow moving, but once episode 16 kicks in the series does a complete 180 and it becomes completely enthralling. A total mindf**k. I can not stress watching this series enough.

Anyway, FLCL, yeah the robot becomes a main character after the first episode. It is both good and bad that it is only 6 episodes. The story is covered in the 6 eps (as much as you can expect) and it ties itself up, but your left wanting more. I usually prefer a 13 or 26 episodes series, just because I like to stay within the "world" of the story as long as possible.

Keep watching the show I think you will enjoy it...or atleast go crazy watching it :lol:

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 21st 2003, 11:59 pm

Is there a good standard portal for information on Anime? I've found http://www.theOtaku.com, which seems to have some of the more popular ones. I guess I'm looking for good episode guides, and something along the lines of http://www.imdb.com

So far I'd considered myself a casual fan. If something seemed interesting, I'd pay attention, but I've also run across a lot of junk. Too many of my friends would watch anything they got their hands on...I guess I'm more discerning than that.

Lately I've rented the first two discs of Now and Then, Here and There. The artwork in that was pretty impressive. Maybe not as expressive as FLCL, but done just as cleanly.

Another note: I'm sure if you're a big fan, you get the imports and have a region free dvd player, but I'm not quite that into it. Is there a good place to get Region 1 + 0 discs that you know of thats cheap? I'd love to know. ;)

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 23rd 2003, 12:28 am

Ok, my running commentary on the third episode (its playing now. My friends often IM eachother commentary on shows while we're watching them, thought I'd try it here):

So far he's been run over every single show. (I need to learn their names.)

I'm assuming he'll be sprouting a new robot thing every episode too.

I've realized the animation is very similar to the Gorillaz music videos. A perfect blend of 2D/3D. God, I wish I was that good at it.

Is it bad to have a cruch on a fictional anime character? Maybe I should just find an asian girlfriend and live out a fantasy. :P

Its interesting all the pop references, Crystal Pepsi, Gundam, Eva, etc. I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing, watching the dubbed version. I'm sure there's a lot of sex stuff I'm missing too...hard to tell.

I love how the artwork goes from totally serious to the craziest cartoony stuff you can find.

Oohman-ohman, now Nina Mori's got glasses on. *swoon* ha ha

Hmm, ok, now Nina's the one growing a thing out of her head. Even more confusing.

I swear I just saw a southpark Kenny mirror dongle.

Ok, that was yet again, another messed up episode. So far, I'm guessing the crazy girl is an alien, the boy (and possibly all the children) may be some experiment from the "medical facility" and that by coming in contact with the alien girl, it has activated some growth/portal/thing that grows out of them and activates when the "medical facility" blows its steam.

But I'm sure I'm totally wrong.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 23rd 2003, 2:39 am

andrewgd wrote:I swear I just saw a southpark Kenny mirror dongle.
Just keep watching there is a much much much more blatant South Park reference later on in the series.

There are a ton of references in the anime, from what I can remember the director basically put in things that he liked into the anime like her Richenbacher bass, her scooter, certain food items as eyebrows (you'll see), everything in it is basically a reference to something that he likes.

No..er..not weird to have a crush on an animated character... :oops:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:00 am

andrewgd wrote:Is there a good standard portal for information on Anime? I've found http://www.theOtaku.com, which seems to have some of the more popular ones. I guess I'm looking for good episode guides, and something along the lines of http://www.imdb.com

So far I'd considered myself a casual fan. If something seemed interesting, I'd pay attention, but I've also run across a lot of junk. Too many of my friends would watch anything they got their hands on...I guess I'm more discerning than that.

Lately I've rented the first two discs of Now and Then, Here and There. The artwork in that was pretty impressive. Maybe not as expressive as FLCL, but done just as cleanly.

Another note: I'm sure if you're a big fan, you get the imports and have a region free dvd player, but I'm not quite that into it. Is there a good place to get Region 1 + 0 discs that you know of thats cheap? I'd love to know. ;)
Sorry, totally missed this post yesterday.

Hard to find an episode guide type of site unless you look for a specific show. A great all around source is http://www.animenfo.com they have info on just about every anime made, only problem is sometimes their show descriptions are in engrish, but still readable. There is always http://www.animeondvd.com for DVD reviews, but the forums there are elitist and really annoying. Of course their is always:

[blatant self promotion]The http://www.animeglitch.com forums[/blatant self promotion] :lol:

I have yet to see Now and Then... I want to pick it up but I have been putting it off...for now.

Anime DVDs are always more expensive than regular DVDs, smaller market for them and high licensing costs. There are tons of bootlegs out there, but I don't really recommend them usually the subs are so bad that it is almost worthless. You can try http://www.digitaleyes.com they have a decent used anime section.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 28th 2003, 6:27 pm

So, andrew, what have you gotten up to in FLCL? No more running commentaries?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 28th 2003, 6:46 pm

Last one is tonight.

I can't wait, cause then I can scour all these sites for information on it. I'm trying hard not to spoil anything.

Lets see what I remember about the 5th one. There was a bit of butt shown.. and I checked the adultswim.com boards, and apparently nothing has been censored, so thats good to know. I guess adult swim is good about not editing the material. Other than getting the dubbed version. I'm tempted to pick up the FLCL dvds just to hear the original voices. The dubs are actually some of the better ones I've heard though. They sound like they got voices that are very similar to a lot of the japanese character voice actors.

I'm going to be sad when its over. I think they'll replace it with another season of Inuyasha, which is exactly the junk that I don't like. Maybe I'll have to start watching TechTV's anime lineup. I think they have Noir, which looked interesting (but I'd hate to start in the middle of it).

I think they play .hack//SIGN also, which the concept is interesting, but thats about it.

Adult Swim's other show is Kikaider. I can't get over how cartoony the characters look. And I never liked the bug/robot anime stuff. There was some liveaction show like Power Rangers that reminds me of Kikaider, I forget what its called now. Blech.

I guess I'll just watch Akira a few more times until they put something else good on :P

I'll see if I can do the running commentary during tonights show. :wink:

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 29th 2003, 1:31 am

FLCL Finale Running Commentary (by popular demand):

Preshow: I hope this is good. I want some good interaction between Takun and Mamimi.

Damn, it started early. Grrr. Missed some cause I was watching Colin Quinn.

That hand is definitely going to pick up the iron and start ironing the town flat, I just know it. Ok, now they just said exactly what I typed. How odd.

Eyebrows!!

Damn, Mamimi's skirt seems to get shorter and shorter. Not that I mind. All these scenes under the bridge are great.

Now Takun's got eyebrows!!!

WTF? Atomisk? Atumusk? Atimusc? Talk about making up a big plot point in the last episode...

Oop! Back to the manga. Damn his dads horny. Furi kuri all over the place! What does furi kuri mean? Will they say?? He's the main character, he's supposed to know these types of things.

Ahhhhhh!!!!! Commercial! Just get the show over with!

I wonder if the brother will ever show up. Is he real?

The lighting and coloring in these are fantastic. I'd be tempted to get the dvds just so I could do some screencaptures.

Ok, now there's Powers of the Pirate King. There needs to be a whole series just explaining this series. Not that its not good. Argh, talk about obscuring the plot amongst some of the craziest anime I've ever seen! I love it.

I think I can, I think I can, I think, I can, I think I can....

Bwaaa! Its over. Time to watch it again. :D Now I can check out your site and see what stuff is out there on the series. ;)