a complaint about Sharon

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
grim4746
Krakow

a complaint about Sharon

Post by grim4746 » Aug 9th 1999, 2:58 am

First off I have to say that I do love her and I don't mean to offend any die hard Sharon fans out there. That having been said, I almost hate her. Or at least I could understand her being hated. We got to see her entire personality so of course she is wonderful. However if I knew such a person just casually perhaps from school or something, I would likely hate her. She is too perky and seems very fake. I'm sure we all remember a person with the same surface as Sharon. The girl in high school with way too much school spirit. The girl everyone seemed to like but there wasn't any real reason to. I mean she's nice but that's about it. I suppose that's not a good reason to hate someone but it's enough for me just because she comes across as fake which of course Sharon is. It would be difficult to find a person more ingenuine than her. I do commend the writers though for being able to give such a character more dimension and actually make her likeable to some degree anyway.

tigerlilly711
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tigerlilly711 » Apr 4th 2003, 2:00 am

The only episodes I found her really annoying in were Strangers in the House and all the episodes before thar. After that I grew to like her she became one of my favorites, she was a simple girl and a great friend. Angela and Rayanne were complicated girls, I think most of the people who are really big fans of the show fall under the category complicated thats why its hard to understand Sharon's simplicity.
This life has been a test, if it had been an actual life, you would have been given instructions on where to go and what to do

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 4th 2003, 2:23 pm

i have to say i agree with grim...i don't think she's annoying, but she had little things that would make me feel uncomfortable with her...i don't know how to explain that, but if she was i real personn, i don't think i could stand her. On the other hand she's important to the story and a good alternative to someone like Rayanne.
But this is the kind of things i really enjoy in watchind mscl: character are so real that they can't be perfect, even Angela.So, finally, i like her.I thing i should watch mscl in english, in order to make my own idea, because french voices are.... :roll:

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Apr 5th 2003, 2:45 pm

I think the reason Sharon seems so annoying is because (in the beginning at least) she is not meant to be a real person. She has no dimension to her character because she is meant to represent Angela's childhood and everything Angela is trying to break away from or rebel against. We are seeing Sharon through Angela's eyes so of course we are not being told the whole story. We get to see more of her as Angela's opinion of Sharon is starting to change. It seems that Sharon becomes more likeable after the whole "I miss you" thing.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Post by Guest » May 15th 2003, 6:05 am

She talks too much

dolphinsfan
Frozen Embryo

Post by dolphinsfan » Aug 4th 2003, 12:44 pm

I think she is realistic, i knew a lot girls like her in high school, girls who did a thousand school activities, had tons of friends, loads of school spirit and still managed good grades. I knew these types of girls in college too, and they tended to be in sororities.
"I laugh in the face of danger--then I run away and hide till it's gone."

grim4746
Krakow

Sharon and real girls like her

Post by grim4746 » Aug 4th 2003, 9:34 pm

First of all I'm glad people finally had something to say about my awkwardly worded wishy washy judgement of Sharon. I hadn't been to the board in awhile, it's great that there is activity going on, I'm sure the dvd boxed set is fueling that. I haven't bought mine yet (soon but not soon enough). Anyway about Sharon. I've softened a bit over the years and lost some of my cynical judgements that I used to spout endlessly. Now I think that Sharon's perky attitude was more natural than i'd ever imagined. Plus she was nasty to people plenty of the time. And I'm sure that most 15 year olds come off as fake a lot of the time. In any case, one thing I love about Sharon is that she always came through and said the right thing when people needed her.

Re:Sharon

Post by Guest » Aug 11th 2003, 11:42 pm

See, i think that sharon would be one of those girls that I would never be friends with, but if i got to know her better, there would be something to be friends with. She's incredably annoying, but if you knew her you'd love her anyway.

Post by Guest » Sep 18th 2003, 1:31 pm

In the last ep. Sharon admitts that she considers Rayanne to be her friend.So what does that mean?That she'll ditch Angela?I mean,I don't think that she will but I do think that it will be extremely difficult for her to be friends with both Angela and Rayane.Look at poor Rickie;

Rayanne : So, Angela, like, barely said hello.
Rickie : Look, Rayanne, don't put me in the middle of this, okay?
Rayanne : Hey, I didn't put you there, that's just where you are.

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 10:16 pm

I dont think Sharons character is that bad... I mean she is a great friend to Angela and I think her being happy is sometimes annoying but there is nothing wrong with being happy... just not all the time :-P
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life