Lies and the Lying Liars

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Lies and the Lying Liars

Post by lance » Oct 14th 2003, 4:47 pm

Hey all,

I guess technically this could have gone in the Books forum, mods please move if you feel the need.

Has anyone read Al Franken's new book, Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: a Fair and Balanced View of the Right?

I just picked up my copy from my public library. Hilarious so far. More as I get through it.

LanceMan

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 15th 2003, 12:37 am

I've just started this one too. It's very funny. I love most of Al Franken's stuff. Anything he has to say about Ann Coulter is always great.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 15th 2003, 3:55 am

Amazon tried to sell me this as a couplet partner-sale to Dude Where's my Country? - I was tempted, and I might pick it up, but I'd be interested to know what you guys both thought...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 15th 2003, 12:19 pm

starbug wrote:Amazon tried to sell me this as a couplet partner-sale to Dude Where's my Country? - I was tempted, and I might pick it up, but I'd be interested to know what you guys both thought...
Great, absolutely fantastic. He really breaks down what folk like Coulter, Hannity, Rush and others say and fact checks everything. He doesn't do it an F you format, but with wit and sarcasm.

Just to whet your appetite: My favorite excerpt so far. Franken appears on Donahue and just picks apart Bernie Goldbergs inaccurate take on the late NBC commenator John Chancellor. In response he receives an e-mail:

"Saw you on Donahue you liberal s*&). Blow it out your ass, dick*&^(.

I've composed a stand response to e-mail like that:

Thank you for your kind e-mail regarding my appearance on Donahue. As you can imagine, I've received so many positive responses that I cannot possibly answer them all personally. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks.

The idea is to frustrate them. It's especially gratifying when they respond to my response. Like the "blow-it-out-your ass" guy did:

Hey ass(*)&. I know you read my e-mail, because you mentioned Donahue. (*&) me.

So, I e-mailed him back again.

Thank you for your kind e-mail regarding my appearance on Donahue.
As you can imagine, I've received so many positive responses that I cannot possibly answer them all personally. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks.

Sure enough, a few hours later, another e-mail from my new friend.

Franken your a joke!

So, I e-mailed him back.

Thank you again for your kind e-mail regarding my jokes.
As you can imagine, I've received so many positive e-mails regarding my jokes, that I cannot possibly answer them all. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks regarding my jokes.

Unfortunately, that was the last of our little correspondence." (Franken, 35-36)

:D

Great stuff, buy it or borrow it from your public library as I did. Definately worth your time.

LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 15th 2003, 12:21 pm

starbug wrote:Amazon tried to sell me this as a couplet partner-sale to Dude Where's my Country? - I was tempted, and I might pick it up, but I'd be interested to know what you guys both thought...
Great, absolutely fantastic. He really breaks down what folk like Coulter, Hannity, Rush and others say and fact checks everything. He doesn't do it an F you format, but with wit and sarcasm.

Just to whet your appetite: My favorite excerpt so far. Franken appears on Donahue and just picks apart Bernie Goldbergs inaccurate take on the late NBC commenator John Chancellor. In response he receives an e-mail:

"Saw you on Donahue you liberal s*&). Blow it out your ass, dick*&^(.

I've composed a stand response to e-mail like that:

Thank you for your kind e-mail regarding my appearance on Donahue. As you can imagine, I've received so many positive responses that I cannot possibly answer them all personally. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks.

The idea is to frustrate them. It's especially gratifying when they respond to my response. Like the "blow-it-out-your ass" guy did:

Hey ass(*)&. I know you read my e-mail, because you mentioned Donahue. (*&) me.

So, I e-mailed him back again.

Thank you for your kind e-mail regarding my appearance on Donahue.
As you can imagine, I've received so many positive responses that I cannot possibly answer them all personally. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks.

Sure enough, a few hours later, another e-mail from my new friend.

Franken your a joke!

So, I e-mailed him back.

Thank you again for your kind e-mail regarding my jokes.
As you can imagine, I've received so many positive e-mails regarding my jokes, that I cannot possibly answer them all. But, once again, thank you for your kind remarks regarding my jokes.

Unfortunately, that was the last of our little correspondence." (Franken, 35-36)

:D

Great stuff, buy it or borrow it from your public library as I did. Definately worth your time.

LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

D'oh

Post by lance » Oct 15th 2003, 12:23 pm

Mods,

Sorry about the double post, for some reason I had problems with this post.

Thanks,

Lance

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 11th 2003, 12:02 am

One of the more absurd talking points of the Lying Liars is that Democrats are hoping the economy stays in the crapper, so they can use it for political gain. While a crappy economy definitely bolsters the Democrats case, I doubt any of them truly want people to go without jobs. Seriously, think about it.

Anyways, my point of posting is this: If the Democrats truly hope our economy stays bad, then the Pentagon must be jumping up and down in joy that Saudi Arabia was just bombed by al Qaeda.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 11th 2003, 12:36 am

However, a few Dems themselves say stupid things like the killing of more US soldiers in Iraq should bring the upticks a pres gets when the economy improves back down. More dead soldiers is bad for Bush and good for Dems? This statement was on an official website. It has been hastily taken down. Do I truly believe they want our soldiers to die? No, but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't think they would use the deaths for political gain. Do Reps do the same thing? Sure. Often, we get caught up in politics like we do in sports. Our mouths start moving before our brains kicks in.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 11th 2003, 1:02 am

TomSpeed wrote:This statement was on an official website. It has been hastily taken down.
I hadn't heard of that. Definitely not a good thing. I guess I'm suprised I haven't heard of it, cause usually there's a lot of yelling and red faces and screams of "Treason!" and the such, that goes on when something like that happens.

I wonder if Bush was thinking of political gain, or soldiers lives when he said "Bring 'em on!" :P
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 11th 2003, 11:35 am

andrewgd wrote:One of the more absurd talking points of the Lying Liars is that Democrats are hoping the economy stays in the crapper, so they can use it for political gain. While a crappy economy definitely bolsters the Democrats case, I doubt any of them truly want people to go without jobs. Seriously, think about it.

Anyways, my point of posting is this: If the Democrats truly hope our economy stays bad, then the Pentagon must be jumping up and down in joy that Saudi Arabia was just bombed by al Qaeda.
Interesting points.

I am certain that some GOP members will make this charge, and have already done so. William Saphire has repeatedly accused the Dems of class warfare. Orrin Hatch has already accused the Dems of being anti-Hispanic, anti-woman and anti-Catholic.

I suspect that the smears will continue long, looong into next year. Are they true?

No.

Most mainstream Democrats are like most mainstream Republicans, decent men & women trying to do good for their country.

I personally don't want the economy to stay in the toilet, nor do I enjoy the fact that US soliders are being killed almost daily in Iraq. I do, think that current Adminstration is largerly responsible for both situations and should be held accountable this upcoming November by the voters, assuming that we do have fair and free elections that is.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 11th 2003, 11:45 am

TomSpeed wrote:Our mouths start moving before our brains kicks in.
Yeah,

Gross insenstivity is not a crime. Beyond which I believe foot-in-mouth syndrome affects all Americans. Occasionally politicans from across the political spectrum admit mistakes, move on and the voters appreciate their honesty. Beats the parade of denials going on right now.

-Lance

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 11th 2003, 3:30 pm

http://www.alfrankenweb.com/foxcourt.html

The court transcript of FOX NEWS NETWORK, LLC v. Franken.

There's a few really choice moments are when the prosecutor basically says its ok to critisize fox as long as you don't make a profit on it.

Oh, and the fact that the judge basically says that fox argued that its viewers were less sophisticated than those that would read Frankens book.

Its a little long, but definitely nice to see the rediculousness of fox come crashing down around them in this case.