AU Bonus Materials Discussion (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
ltleelim
Frozen Embryo

Re: shipping date

Post by ltleelim » Oct 9th 2003, 6:53 pm

Sammi wrote:Does the package it came in have a postage date stamped on it?
It says it was mailed on 10/07/2003.

ltleelim
Frozen Embryo

Re: items promised

Post by ltleelim » Oct 9th 2003, 7:01 pm

andrewgd wrote:REMINDER:
ORDERS PLACED BETWEEN FEBRUARY-JUNE 18TH (FIRST 2500 ORDERS) GET THE FOLLOWING…
- DVD SET
- BONUS DISC
- LUNCHBOX W/CERT OF AUTHENTICITY
-MSCL T-SHIRT
-$30 Gift Certificate at AU
-FREE SHIPPING
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
I ordered in February and was one of the first 2500 orders. The package did not include a T-shirt or $30 gift certificate from AU.

Someone else was wondering if there was a letter of apology... Nope.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2003, 9:35 pm

I think we had better write off the t-shirt and gift certificate and just be thankful that these items are finally shipping.

Once everyone confirms receipt and the refunds are all confirmed, it looks like we can close this sorry chapter.
ltleelim wrote:
andrewgd wrote:REMINDER:
ORDERS PLACED BETWEEN FEBRUARY-JUNE 18TH (FIRST 2500 ORDERS) GET THE FOLLOWING…
- DVD SET
- BONUS DISC
- LUNCHBOX W/CERT OF AUTHENTICITY
-MSCL T-SHIRT
-$30 Gift Certificate at AU
-FREE SHIPPING
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
I ordered in February and was one of the first 2500 orders. The package did not include a T-shirt or $30 gift certificate from AU.

Someone else was wondering if there was a letter of apology... Nope.

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » Oct 9th 2003, 10:22 pm

The "Tour of Bedford Falls" was never intended (by me) to be a "feature"; had it been I would have done a much more thorough and steadier job. I just wanted to walk around BF with the camera and possibly pick something fun up for use in a "trailer" or as an easter egg on the DVD or something.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 9th 2003, 11:21 pm

Well I have not received mine yet (surprise, surprise). I will be shocked if I do. I should have two coming to my house (my sister ordered one too). We will see. :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 10th 2003, 12:50 am

I came home all excited, expecting to see a package from AU but...nothing. And I live in NorCal!

:evil:

So much for my plans to give a full report - I was ready to post a picture of the bonus disc and everything but I was foiled by either AU or UPS.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 10th 2003, 5:09 am

well, I am glad this is happening, but I would like to see more people posting on here to say they got it before I get hopeful about RR's inner morality actually existing (albeit hidden deep). Isn't this the old old tactic of send a few out and then leave others hanging on for months?

It also sort of makes me wish I'd stuck with AU (wait, did I just say that?) - I cancelled and went with Amazon but it does mean I won't get the bonus stuff... which is disappointing but them's the breaks...

I got the money back from my CC company, but I agree with Jason, this isn't over til everyone who is owed a refund for doublecharge or cancellation has that money back in their pockets.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 10th 2003, 1:30 pm

I think we had better write off the t-shirt and gift certificate and just be thankful that these items are finally shipping.
Does anyone remember what the last documented feature list of the bonus disc contained? I seem to remember the AU site mentioning more parts to be on the dvd. Though we've been told many different things up to this point, no wonder I'm confused.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 10th 2003, 1:56 pm

andrewgd wrote:Does anyone remember what the last documented feature list of the bonus disc contained? I seem to remember the AU site mentioning more parts to be on the dvd.
That's true. The bonus disc was supposed to include a 60 minute session with cast and crew taped at the Museum of Radio and TV in 1995. I guess Ross never paid the Museum to get the rights.

Which leads to another interesting point: Last thing I knew, Grafik wasn't paid either.

Here's the item description I copied from AU's website exactly one year ago (October 2002):
oldAUoffer wrote: Item description used before October 2002 :

My So Called Life - DVD Box Set 4-19 (PRE-ORDER)
by CMIH

Your Price: $20.00
SKU: mscldvd2
Sorry. This item is temporarily unavailable. Want to know if we are getting more?
Ask our Store Manager!
YOU WILL ONLY BE CHARGED THE PRICE OF THE PRE-ORDER. PLEASE DISREGARD ANY SHIPPING CHARGES THAT MAY APPEAR ON YOUR INVOICE.
SHIPPING CHARGES WILL BE FIGURED OUT BEFORE SHIPPING.

Another Universe is proud to announce that we are licensed as the EXCLUSIVE retailer for the .My So Called Life. DVD collection.

We.re grateful for your patience. We want to make this the most exciting, fan-oriented product possible! Many thanks to everyone
at MSCL.com, and to all of the fans who made this possible

FYI: The manufacturing run will be a limited one, based on the number of PreOrders received. We cannot gaurantee that we will have
enough for future orders after the pre-order period.

Your PRE-ORDER begins with a $20 nonrefundable deposit. This deposit will reserve a copy of the DVD for you.. (The deposit is
fully refundable if there are problems due to circumstances beyond our control which unduly delay the DVD release or if there is
an increase in the price prior to your final payment.)

Your PRE-ORDER DEPOSIT will insure your DVDs will be in PRE-ORDER PACKAGING. Currently we are planning on packaging the set in a
mini .My So Called Life. lunchbox and with a DVD of bonus material. Due to manufacturing constraints, we may not be able to offer
the special packaging after the pre-order period

You can order this DVD collection in one of two different sets

The first set will consist of; every episode (1-19), the collectors packaging and the bonus DVD

The second set will be; episodes 4-19, the collectors packaging and the bonus DVD

We.ve heard that a lot of fans don.t want to have to buy a second copy of episodes 1-3. This way, those people who have already
purchased the original DVD set with Episodes 1-3 do not have to re-purchase them.

The estimated price for the sets are:

episodes 1-19 - $99.98
episodes 4-19 - $89.98

Base shipping will be $6.95 in the US, and foreign orders will be calculated by the shipping country and not based on the
AnotherUniverse shipping table.

In the unlikely event that the price increases before shipping, you will be allowed to cancel your order and get a refund of the
deposit. Otherwise you will be informed by e-mail that the set is ready to ship and that we will be charging the card you made the
deposit with the balance of the sale. If the card is declined, we will e-mail you and hold your shipment until you provide a
different payment method.

Details so far:
Fullscreen Format
Region 0 Coding (It can be played in any player around the world)
5.1 Dolby Surround Sound
4-5 Episodes Per Disc (Total of 4 Discs)
Bonus Material on 5th Disc
More Info to Come.

<<<<-

Item description used between October 2002 and April 2003:

->>>>> http://www.anotheruniverse.com/store/br ... u=mscldvd3
My So Called Life - DVD Lunchbox Edition
by CMIH

Your Price: $115.00
SKU: mscldvd3
Another Universe is proud to announce that we are licensed as the EXCLUSIVE retailer for the .My So Called Life. DVD Lunchbox
Edition.

This package will include a limited edition My So-Called Life Lunchbox, a bonus DVD with over 2 hours of interviews with cast and
crew and early shipping on the My So-Called Life DVD set.

The Lunchbox is the only merchandise ever authorized for My So-Called Life, and only 4,000 are being made. The bonus disk includes
a completely original interview with Winnie Holzman, Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick and an hour of material licensed from
the Museum of TV and Radio

Specifications for the MSCL DVD Set are:

5.1 Dolby Surround Sound

Fullscreen (1.33:1) Format

Region 0 Coding (Can be played in players around the wrold)

(6 Disks in Total)

3-4 episodes per disc

Special Bonus Disk, including an all-new interview with the creators of the show

Exclusive MSCL Lunchbox featuring photos of the cast. Limited to 4,000 pieces.

The price for the set is: $115.00

tridentdps
Tino

Post by tridentdps » Oct 10th 2003, 8:11 pm

Has more than one person posted as having received the lunchbox? Otherwise, I see Ross floating a balloon out here to gauge reaction to a smaller DVD........ :?:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 10th 2003, 9:09 pm

I think they might actually be tired of playing games and might actually be sending out the lunchboxes and discs.

Remember, of course, that it took nearly a month for all of the DVDs to be mailed in the first place. They probably will take time to ship out.

Of course, if a week goes by and nothing is received by others, you'll know otherwise. But remember, this guy took almost 2 years to ship a product. He doesn't care what you think about a shorter bonus DVD.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 10th 2003, 9:17 pm

I tried to contact AU before to change my mailing address. Now I am worried that I won't receive what I paid for over a year and a half ago.

Anyone have a contact at AU for me?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 10th 2003, 9:23 pm

FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS, I HAVE TRIED TO DO RIGHT BY THE CUSTOMERS OF AU.COM. I WANTED TO POST CONTACT INFORMATION FOR ROSS ROJEK SO THAT CUSTOMERS COULD SEND UPDATED MAILING INFORMATION. THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY THE MODERATORS AND I RESPECT THEIR DECISION EVEN THOUGH I BELIEVE IT IS WRONG..
Last edited by Jason R on Oct 11th 2003, 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 10th 2003, 11:13 pm

FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS, I HAVE TRIED TO DO RIGHT BY THE CUSTOMERS OF AU.COM. I WANTED TO POST CONTACT INFORMATION FOR ROSS ROJEK SO THAT CUSTOMERS COULD SEND UPDATED MAILING INFORMATION. THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY THE MODERATORS AND I RESPECT THEIR DECISION EVEN THOUGH I BELIEVE IT IS WRONG..
Last edited by Jason R on Oct 11th 2003, 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 10th 2003, 11:15 pm

Yay, I received my bonus stuff today. It was shipped via USPS (not UPS) using stamps.com (which cracks me up - sounds like their credit line with UPS is buh-bye) on October 8th. The shipping label has a delivery confirmation barcode on it.

Sorry that the picture of the disc isn't clearer - the fine print says, "This product is authorized for private use only. It is not authorized for any other use. All other rights reserved." I find it funny that the slipcase says that this is the bonus "disc" but the actual disc says "disk." :lol:

The bonus disc is exactly as Dan described it. The interview itself is pretty good - they were very chatty so Dan didn't have to ask too many questions - Marshall, Winnie, and Ed were just kept talking. They obviously get along and have fond memories of the show - one down side of their comfort level with one another is that they kept interrupting each other and talking on top of each other so I wasn't always sure who to listen to. I liked that they were very candid about Claire's decision to leave the show (as they put it, there's no point in sugarcoating it at this point). I do wish they had talked more about the rest of the cast (although they do say several times how great the entire cast was and mention them individually, they mostly talk about Claire, some about Wilson, and then a little about Jared and Bess). Among other things, Winnie mentions Cameron Crowe's homage to MSCL in Jerry Maguire and working with her brother. A trivia tidbit: Alicia Silverstone is the first actress they saw at the auditions for Angela. The interview is about an hour long.

The tour is interesting as well - their office looks almost like a house (maybe I'm fixating on the fireplace) and I appreciated Dan zooming in on the different movie posters shown because at first I thought, "What movie is that?" and considered using the zoom feature on my DVD and then as if he heard my thoughts, the camera zoomed in closer!

If you would more info about what is actually on the bonus disc, you can read about it here. Of note is that when Ross shipped the lunchbox and bonus disc to Dan in JULY, he said he would, "ship it in a double Armory case for when the TV and Radio footage is cleared ... These are getting done, and when they finish them and get them to us, I'll fire one out to you." You guessed it - no MTR footage.

The bottom of the lunchbox has logos for (in order) Bedford Falls, BMG, AU, Dry Grass, fivesided, and G-Whiz - plus a little note that says, "Here's that handcuff key. Don't lose it! You remember what happened last time. -Tino." On the mockup (shown here), you can barely see any of this detail unless you click on that section of the lunchbox. The large pictures (the group shots) are a little fuzzy. The smaller pictures on the side are much sharper.

Also included was a generic packing slip (similar to everything they have sent out previously - like the packing slip sent with the DVDs - meaning the AU logo and address on top but nothing with my name or order number) that lists the lunchbox, bonus disc, and certificate of authenticity as $0.00 each. The "bill to" says My-So Called Life DVD Set Customer and has a graphic that says "PAID" at the top. Hopefully listing the amount as $0.00 will allow European customers to receive their bonus materials without having to pay VAT or customs charges.

Hope that answers everyone's questions!

Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Oct 11th 2003, 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?