Bend It Like Beckham

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Bend It Like Beckham

Post by lance » Mar 16th 2003, 3:15 pm

Hey all,

Just heard yesterday about a movie called "Bend It Like Beckham". The movie is about two teenage British girls who want to play football (soccer for us Yanks) despite the objections of their parents. Any of you in Britian seen this yet? What did you think?

The movie is opening in New York and LA. Not here in Cincy yet. Sounds pretty good. I think I will have to go out with Mrs. and check it out.

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Mar 18th 2003, 6:09 am

Shamefully, I haven't seen it, but I can tell you all about it...

David Beckham is the England football (soccer) captain and he is widely regarded as not only a sex god but a fantastic player - he can 'bend' the ball round in a curve, foxing the keeper and scoring amazing goals.

Anyway, from what I know of this film (hearsay) it's pretty good, and a sharp social comment on the difficulties of growing up in britain as part of an asian family. Basically, soccer for girls isn't that popular... although I think it is becoming more so. This Asian girl wants to learn to play and is talented but her parents don't want her to do it. I suppose soccer isn't really an admirable career path for a good asian girl who should be staying at home having children.

Anyway, hope everyone who sees it enjoys it :D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 18th 2003, 1:43 pm

starbug wrote:Shamefully, I haven't seen it, but I can tell you all about it...

David Beckham is the England football (soccer) captain and he is widely regarded as not only a sex god but a fantastic player - he can 'bend' the ball round in a curve, foxing the keeper and scoring amazing goals.

Anyway, from what I know of this film (hearsay) it's pretty good, and a sharp social comment on the difficulties of growing up in britain as part of an asian family. Basically, soccer for girls isn't that popular... although I think it is becoming more so. This Asian girl wants to learn to play and is talented but her parents don't want her to do it. I suppose soccer isn't really an admirable career path for a good asian girl who should be staying at home having children.

Anyway, hope everyone who sees it enjoys it :D
Starbug,

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Best,

Lance Man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 21st 2003, 1:28 pm

You can find a brief review of Bend It Like Beckham here. I love The Flick Filosopher.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 21st 2003, 11:25 pm

TomSpeed wrote:You can find a brief review of Bend It Like Beckham here. I love The Flick Filosopher.
Cool beans, thanks TomSpeed.

Lance Man

blue_moon_34
Nicky Driscoll

Post by blue_moon_34 » Apr 23rd 2003, 9:38 pm

this movie was finally released where i live so of course i went to see it right away. i loved it so much. a lot of people have been comparing it to my big fat greek wedding but i liked this one much better. i recommend everyone go see it. i'm sure you won't be disapointed.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 24th 2003, 9:23 am

Being a soccer player, I would love to see this. But my husband might win out with X-Men 2 or Anger Management. The one downfall of being married is that you have to take turns choosing movies. I think it's his turn, since we saw Chicago last. :roll:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

blue_moon_34
Nicky Driscoll

Post by blue_moon_34 » Apr 24th 2003, 5:56 pm

all i can say is pray your husband makes you go see x men 2. i hated anger management. i was bored through the whole thing. it had a few funny moments but all in all not worth my seven dollars.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 25th 2003, 9:09 am

blue_moon_34 wrote:all i can say is pray your husband makes you go see x men 2. i hated anger management. i was bored through the whole thing. it had a few funny moments but all in all not worth my seven dollars.
Really? Thanks! I will push for X-Men 2, then. I love Hugh Jackman anyway. Mmmm..... Wolverine. :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

bend it like beckham

Post by lance » May 9th 2003, 12:10 pm

Cool,

Looks like me and the family will be going to see Bend Like Beckham this weekend. Let ya know what I thought of it, oh say on Monday.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

bend it like beckham

Post by lance » May 12th 2003, 2:46 pm

Hey all,

Saw Bend it Like Beckham on Saturday. The movie was great!

I had heard that the movie was good. I had heard an interview with the movie's director on NPR last month. What I didn't know was how absolutely funny this movie is.

Not just, he he haw haw funny but :rofl: , gasping for air funny. If you haven't seen it yet, please do. I understand that the DVD is available for purchase via Blackstar for something like 18.99 British pounds.

If it wasn't for the approaching release of Babylon 5: Third Season I would snatch that DVD up today. As it is I will be adding Bend it Like Beckham to my Xmas list.

Best,

Lance

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 16th 2003, 3:30 pm

Just FYI

Bend it Like Beckham is out for Region One on 9/30/03. I am looking forward to picking it up.

LanceMan

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Sep 16th 2003, 5:24 pm

cool news I will also be picking it up 9/30

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

bend it like beckham

Post by lance » Oct 1st 2003, 12:14 pm

Just picked up my copy yesterday!

Hopefully I will be able to watch some of the movie before Angel comes on tonight.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2003, 2:25 pm

I see you have your priorities straight!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?