the holidays are upon us!

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

the holidays are upon us!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 30th 2003, 8:14 pm

Yes, it's the last day of September and it's time for the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. Love the $10,000 mermaid outfit. My mom made one for my sister that was about $20 and a lot better looking, although to be fair my sister didn't try to swim in it.

*sigh* I remember the good old days when the holiday stuff didn't come out until the day after Thanksgiving. There have been Christmas decorations up at Longs for weeks. No wonder there is such a high rate of suicide during the holidays - we just can't any more carols or trees or bells or ornaments or cards or shopping or crowds.

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 1st 2003, 6:14 am

Yeah, that's annoying. I almost freaked out when I saw some stores starting to put christmas candy (and other christmas stuff like stollen) in their displays last week. Okay, I love christmas stollen, so I bought one :-) But yeah, it's *that* time of year again. :roll:

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Oct 1st 2003, 6:57 am

other christmas stuff like stollen
OK, I had to google "stollen" to get a definition :lol: ...this side of the pond, it's "fruitcake", and one of the oldest jokes around is the story of the immortal fruitcake with brick-like consistency that no one eats and gets passed from hand to hand as a gift for years...
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 1st 2003, 7:21 am

MadMichael wrote:
other christmas stuff like stollen
OK, I had to google "stollen" to get a definition :lol: ...this side of the pond, it's "fruitcake",
my dictionary told me that "stollen" exists in the german and english language (like "kindergarten", "gesundheit" etc) -- but it's probably one of those words noone uses except for german immigrants :-)
and one of the oldest jokes around is the story of the immortal fruitcake with brick-like consistency that no one eats and gets passed from hand to hand as a gift for years...
:-) Hehe, yeah, there is a thin line between tasty(this link is really "tasty" *lol*) christmas stollen (Original Christmas Stollen from Dresden being the best) and the cheap, uneatable and dry ones...

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 1st 2003, 8:28 am

I LOVE stollen...

ahhh the smell of christmas cooking and jangle of assorted merchandise items :shock:

It's OCTOBER.

I work above a big shop and they've got the slogan 'Christmas is coming' in their window and some snowflake shaped lanterns. It's started. And I hate it.

Every year I swear I will organise my christmas shopping early. Every year I foget and then I'm all shocked when I realise it's the 20th December and I still don't have gifts for vital people.

In fact that reminds me... I must order some silver penguin cufflinks for Mr. S...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Re: the holidays are upon us!

Post by Sammi » Oct 1st 2003, 11:28 am

candygirl wrote:Yes, it's the last day of September and it's time for the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book.

Oh now I'm homesick. Neiman Marcus is a Texas based department store, and I remember my mom bringing the catolog home from work (her boss always received one each year). The whole family would always go through it and look at the ridculously expensive things someone could actually buy. Oh well I will be going home in a couple of months for Christmas.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: the holidays are upon us!

Post by lance » Oct 1st 2003, 12:19 pm

candygirl wrote:Yes, it's the last day of September and it's time for the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. Love the $10,000 mermaid outfit. My mom made one for my sister that was about $20 and a lot better looking, although to be fair my sister didn't try to swim in it.

*sigh* I remember the good old days when the holiday stuff didn't come out until the day after Thanksgiving. There have been Christmas decorations up at Longs for weeks. No wonder there is such a high rate of suicide during the holidays - we just can't any more carols or trees or bells or ornaments or cards or shopping or crowds.

:wink:
LOL!

Back when I worked at a department store, I remember that in August the lawn and patio stuff would come down. Then in September, out of nowhere the Christmas shop appeared. If they could make money off it I am sure they would have put up in July.

I am one of those who looks forward to Christmas. I try and get my shopping down early. Lately though I have noticed a drifting trend toward later shopping, say in December.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2003, 2:22 pm

I love Christmas too, and coincidentally I had already put my Christmas CD in the car yesterday (before finding out that the Neiman Marcus Christmas book is already out). I just hate the unending retail onslaught of holiday items. My friend lives in a vacation town and she says they have had Christmas stuff since July.

:shock:

Starbug, I know what you mean. The holidays are sort of like the beginning of school terms - I always intend to be organized and on top of things, then before you know it I'm a lost cause. Thankfully that's what internet shopping is for - allows you to procrastinate AND avoid the mall and the post office all at once!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 2nd 2003, 5:00 am

candygirl wrote: Thankfully that's what internet shopping is for - allows you to procrastinate AND avoid the mall and the post office all at once!
I am going to be a true convert this year... I refuse to spend yet another year being barged by rude people down oxford street and in soho, only to reach the shop and find that it's run out of what I want.

Amazon can look forward to my custom with glee!

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Oct 2nd 2003, 8:24 pm

I LOVE Christmas. I used to have several Christmas sweatshirts and ornament earrings. (I stopped before junior high.) I practically grew up on Barbara Streisand and Phil Spector's Christmas albums. My mom would start with the music in August and it wouldn't stop until January 6th. I used to do cards and give out candy canes. Because I'm in college, I don't get to enjoy the holidays anymore. I'm getting ready for finals while everyone else gets to watch Christmas movies. Last year, I had a final paper due Dec. 23rd and I pulled several all-nigthers. I missed out on the holdiay because I was so tired. I have a feeling the same is going to happen this year because Dec 23rd is the last day of finals. Too be a kid again.......I could drink hot cocoa and sing carols and decorate trees. Now I'm forced to practice for my music finals and write educational theory papers. :cry:
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 2nd 2003, 10:05 pm

starbug wrote:Amazon can look forward to my custom with glee!
I feel I should issue a warning here on that note. My experience is that Amazon.com is the worst at blowing delivery dates. If you need it for christmas, they will purposefully go out of their way to delay your order so it won't get to you unless you pay more and more for shipping.

Getting gifts for the holidays is an important thing. I suggest if you are going to order from them for Christmas, don't do it after ~Nov. 15th, cause they will delay it.

I've fought with them many times for having "2-3 days to ship" items not be sent for 2 weeks. As many of us have learned, these online sellers are only interested in collecting $$$, not in satisfying their customers.

Ok. :D Back to the merry festivities!! Yay SNOW SOON!!!! He he he hee. I can finally cuddle up under my comforter at night again!