When do you complain?

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

When do you complain?

Post by andrewgd » Mar 25th 2003, 11:35 pm

Ok, I've got something that's been bugging me. The local theater, while nice, always seems to have something wrong with the show. Either there are spots in the film where there was obvious damage, and it jumps about (one of the worst was cutting out the last words of Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, ugh), the sound warbles horribly (LOTR:TT was almost ruined for me because of it), or they frame the movie wrong, and everyone's heads are off the top of the screen.

I've already complained about the sound problem, because it was fairly persistant in a few theaters there. I could probably complain a lot more to them, for many more problems, yet, I don't know if I'm just being picky.

How often does everyone else complain? Should I just come to expect sh#ty service? Or are my standards too high? Maybe I should just expect the sound to be warbly, the picture to be messed up, and parts of the film to be missing.

Should I just calm down about everything, or should I really complain every single time something is wrong? I'm I wrong to expect my money back each time these things happen?

What's everyone else think?
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 25th 2003, 11:48 pm

I used to be a passive consumer. Once I entered the adult world of bills and jobs and I learned to understand the value of the dollar (as in how long I had to work to earn that one dollar and how I wanted to spend it), I became a little more vocal.

I think if it was only one movie, I probably wouldn't say anything, but since it seems that your local theater has a consistent history of having problems with the way they show their films, I would definitely complain to the manager. Make sure it's the manager though - the poor guy at the door can't do anything about it. Often the way the multiplex theaters are set up now is with one control booth and the theaters spoking off in a circle around it (rather than the old theaters that had one control booth per screen), which means there is ONE person operating all the films. If this person is overworked or undertrained, it's possible that they aren't paying enough attention to know that the sound is off or that the picture is out of focus or aimed too low. I know, they SHOULD know these things, but either they don't know or they don't care. Either way, take it up with the manager while you are still there. Make sure to inform the manager that you are a frequent, loyal customer but that the current quality may force you to begin patronizing a different theater.

You shouldn't expect crap, ever. Specifically in this case, I figure that if I pay $9 (and have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials), the least the theater can do is have the picture in focus and the sound working properly.

I'm not an advocate of complaining about every little thing - I believe you have to pick your battles and decide what is important enough to speak up about. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so like I said, the first time something goes wrong, I ignore it because everyone has bad nights, sh!t happens, etc. but when it's a pattern like you described, I would definitely say something. They aren't going to know there is a problem, let alone correct it, if they believe that their customers are satisfied with their half ass quality.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 26th 2003, 3:29 am

And that my friends is why I wait for the DVD :D

The last two times I went to the movies was for Star Wars Ep. 1 and Star Wars Ep 2. Though I must admit both of those times were fine experiences (except of course for the feature ;) ). I haven't even seen the commercials that everyone is complaining about since they weren't doing them when I saw SW:AotC.

I will break down and go see the two Matrix movies though.

Ok I slightly went off topic there...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 26th 2003, 5:13 am

Since I graduated from college, I have seen a lot less movies in the theater - probably a combination of less free time and more expensive tickets. I remember the afternoon matinees were $5, but the school paper always had a coupon so that students got in for $2.50 so I saw some pretty crappy movies back then just because it was something cheap to do.

:oops:

Like I said, I love me some Netflix now!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Mar 26th 2003, 5:33 am

A problem I'm having is that my image of the theater is pretty good. Its pretty clean, it was built less than 10 years ago, its really close, which is good, cause were in a small rural town, the screens are big and clean, and the sound is good and loud (unless its warbling).

So am I adopting the battered-wife syndrome? "It isn't bad ALL the time!" "But I LOVE the theater!"

I just feel like such a movie-snob when I do complain. Guess its time to write another email to the manager...
I ended up using the rainchecks you sent to go see Chicago. The sound was great, but the masking was horrible. I sat and watched for about half an hour, hoping that it wouldn't be a problem...but a lot of the time the characters heads would be completely off the screen. I walked out and told the manager on duty, and they told me thanks, but they couldn't do anything about it. No other word from them, I just ended up going back to the theater and sitting through it, headless torsos and all. I have to admit, I'm sort of let down that nothing was done, even an apology.

I think its pretty sad that the show that I decide to use my rainchecks for (which I recieved because of a previous bad experience) ends up being just as bad as the first. I feel a little silly having to complain about your theater again, but unless your projectionists get some training, or take a few seconds and make sure everything is working like it is supposed to for every show, I'll end up complaining each time.

Its pretty rediculous that these simple things cannot be taken care of, and when things do go wrong, and are noted, not even an apology is offered.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

bad service

Post by lance » Mar 26th 2003, 9:47 am

Hey,

I have worked for five years for first run movie theater. Your best bet to get your problems addressed is to take it to a regional manager if you can find it or the home office of the theater in question. Sometimes local managers will just tell you what you want to hear and then do nothing about it.

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 26th 2003, 11:41 am

I agree with Lance on this one. I personally have never had to complain at the theater (every other place on earth is a different story :twisted:), but if I was in the situation that you are in I would complain to every level of manager all the way up to the main co. Worst that could happen is they ignore you, best that could happen they fix the problems you become the hero and they throw in a bunch of free passes for you :).
Maybe I should just expect the sound to be warbly, the picture to be messed up, and parts of the film to be missing.
Nobody should expect those things...ok well maybe expect but definitely not accept. I am surprised you have been taken it so well, I would have been at their throats the first time it happened, but that is me.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Mar 26th 2003, 11:45 pm

This theater is a small local chain. They only own two theaters, but they seem pretty nice, for the most part. I got a response to my second email. I just worry that he'll begin to think that I'm just complaining to get free tickets...oh well.

Here's the response. I guess his CAPS is stuck...not exactly professional in itself, but here it is:
REPLY....SORRY AGAIN ....

BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE
I WILL LIKE THE DETAILS OF SHOWTIME AND AUDITORIUM AND DATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ...
TO FIND AND ADDRESS THE THE PROBLEM AND YOU WAS INVOLVED...

IN THE MAIL... I AM SENDING YOU TWO MORE RAINCHECKS...
I'm guessing he meant, "and who was involved". Who knows...

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Sep 30th 2003, 10:12 pm

It happened again...it was even worse this time, so I wrote what I consider to be my best complaint letter yet. I feel like sharing. :D Don't ask me why though. :P
Mr. Sadlon,

I just got back from the 9/30 7:05 showing of Secondhand Lions (theater 5 in the Winsted Cinerom). I've contacted you twice before on this issue, but once again, the sound during the movie was running soft, then loud, flipping in and out during the whole thing. When the louder (supposedly higher quality sound) was on there was an absolutely horrible reverberation that ran through everything. Over an hour into the movie, I couldn't take it anymore. I went and talked to the manager (I believe her name is Kristin Fisi, but I'm not positive). I told her about the sound cutting in and out, and how this was probably the 5th time I've had to complain about it. All she gave me was excuses. Something about it not being the theater, but the film, and that it needed to be configured for the film. As a paying customer, I don't want excuses from your staff. I want things done right the first time, which they failed at tonight. If this is something that needed to be configured, it should have been done before hand, they shouldn't have to wait for customers to come and complain to them. I think it is horrible all she could do was make excuses. This is not how to treat customers. Do it right the first time.

I asked for passes, but she refused, since I wasn't planning on leaving right then. We had already spent $24 on tickets and drinks, and she did not offer any compensation for the terrible service. Not even an apology.

I returned to the theater, and the sound continued to cut in and out, until 15 minutes later when the louder, horribly reverberating sound came on and stayed on. I could hear people behind us complaining about it. I doubt this is how you want the theater run. This is obviously a reoccurring problem in your theater, and should have been fixed months ago. I'm actually surprised your staff hasn't learned to fix this ahead of time, or that you haven't gotten someone in that can do it for them. The reverberations need to be dealt with. Frankly, it ruined the movie.

Please get this done. And teach your staff that the customers are paying their paycheck, and we deserve more than excuses for their mistakes.

Thank you ahead of time for finally getting this dealt with,
signed

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Sep 30th 2003, 11:59 pm

That is a good letter. I definitely don't blame you for complaining my fiance and I both use to be projectionists. When we generally go to see movies we tell the manager about any problem with the movie, because after all we are spending a considerable amount to see the movie (especially when you consider the amount spent on concessions because thats where the movie theater makes most of its profit). I would just keep complaining or if possible switch movie theaters.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 1st 2003, 12:16 am

Sammi wrote:I would just keep complaining or if possible switch movie theaters.
I'd definitely switch theaters, but unfortunately, its a small town, and its got the biggest screens, lowest prices, best audience (the next closest is always filled with tweeners..ick!). I'd end up driving nearly an hour to get to another theater that compares to this one. And this one is only 10 minutes down the road.

That may be a big reason why it upsets me, but its so close to being a really really good theater. Its really just this problem, unfortunately, the individual problem is big. Oh well, I'll do what I can...

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 1st 2003, 10:10 am

sammi wrote:after all we are spending a considerable amount to see the movie (especially when you consider the amount spent on concessions because thats where the movie theater makes most of its profit).
I guess they don't make much profit off of me then. I bring my nalgene bottle of water in, and my bag for the jumbo free refill popcorn. About 15 minutes into the movie I wonder up to the counter with my empty bag "needing a refill", then I just take the bag home for the next time. I guess I'm a popcorn bandit, it doesn't bother me because it's only popcorn. The theater isn't loosing money, it simply isn't making any off me. And considering I only go to the theater about once a month, I think they'll survive.

I do agree that bad sound can be extrememly annoying, or if the audio track is out of sinc. I've become an audio snob after getting my home entertainment system. I had to go buy a 4 head HI-FI VCR right after I got it because I wouldn't watch anything but dvd's since the sound was so much better, my old tapes weren't gettig any use.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 1st 2003, 12:12 pm

andrewgd wrote:
Sammi wrote:I would just keep complaining or if possible switch movie theaters.
I'd definitely switch theaters, but unfortunately, its a small town, and its got the biggest screens, lowest prices, best audience (the next closest is always filled with tweeners..ick!). I'd end up driving nearly an hour to get to another theater that compares to this one. And this one is only 10 minutes down the road.

That may be a big reason why it upsets me, but its so close to being a really really good theater. Its really just this problem, unfortunately, the individual problem is big. Oh well, I'll do what I can...
I hear ya about the small town situation. Until last year all the movie theaters in Cincinnati were owned by National Amusements. Fortunately we now have AMC just across the river in Newport, KY.

Your complaint sounds completely and totally valid. Like I said last Spring if you want to press the issue gradually work your way up the food chain, such as it may be with a small theater chain.

Frankly it amazes me that there any small independent, first run theater chains left. Alot of the small chains have been bought up or simply shut down because they couldn't compete.

On movie sound. Back from my theater days* I remember the projectionists telling me that the only recurrent sound problem that they were familar with involved trailers.

Apparently the sound volume on trailers was often different than with the feature film. The sound on the trailers might be louder or softer. The projectionists felt there wasn't much point on adjusting the sound while a trailer was running because if they did they would just have to adjust it again when the main film came on. Granted this was almost ten years ago, I don't know if the technology has changed much.

Sammi does this make sense with what you and your fiancee experienced?

Andregd, ultimately if the theater refuses to help you out, you may just want to drive the extra miles to get a better experience. This depends on how much this is worth to you.

*Working in theaters has become a Lance family tradition. At one point my younger sister, brother and I were all working at the same theater at the same time. My younger half-brother is just finishing up a two year "tour" at his local theater. We will have to wait and see if the next generation of Lances will work for free movies and minium wage.

LanceMan