Vote here

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

Post by Emeralduk » Sep 20th 2003, 7:09 pm

Personally, I'd love so see Charmed finally on DVD, or any format for that matter. It's a very successful show, so I don't understand why there hasn't been more merchandise for it yet. I'm pleased about the books though. :lying:

*~Emerald~*
"Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 21st 2003, 1:30 pm

Emeralduk wrote:Personally, I'd love so see Charmed finally on DVD, or any format for that matter. It's a very successful show, so I don't understand why there hasn't been more merchandise for it yet. I'm pleased about the books though. :lying:

*~Emerald~*
I actually have heard good things about Charmed but never got into it. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to get it on DVD.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 21st 2003, 7:54 pm

I only watched it the first season or two. I have only seen one or two episodes since they killed off Shannen Doherty's character and brought on Rose McGowan. I had a crazy schedule so I barely watched any tv for a few years - my sister taped a few shows for me so I could keep caught up, but Charmed was one of the shows that slipped through the cracks. Every once in a while I watch a rerun on TNT though.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2003, 2:17 pm

courtesy of tvshowsondvd
Video Store Magazine reports on status of Fox TV-DVD poll 10/06/2003
Video Store Magazine reports on the results to date of the Fox TV-on-DVD poll we reported on a month ago. In it, our own Gord Lacey - Owner and WebMaster of TVShowsOnDVD - was quoted by VSM reporter T.K. Arnold:

Fans of TV shows on DVD would rather see "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," a classic sci-fi program from the 1960s, than "The Practice," "Ally McBeal" or even "The Simpsons," according to preliminary results from a poll on the Fox TV DVD Web site.

Presented with a list of 25 shows, fans said they'd most like to see "Voyage" appear on DVD, giving the series -- which ran from 1964 until 1968 -- 21.1 percent of their votes.

Only the TV show "The Pretender" garnered more votes, with 24.3 percent of fans surveyed making it their top pick.

After "Voyage," the most in-demand series is "The Lone Gunmen" (16.7 percent), a spinoff of "The X-Files" that premiered in March 2001.

The only other programs in the double digits are "The Wonder Years" (13.1 percent), "Millennium" (10.4 percent) and "Roswell" (10.2 percent).

"Ally McBeal" got 6 percent of the votes, "The Practice" received 3.5 percent, and "The Simpsons" got 9.3 percent.

The fewest votes: the broad "reality TV programming" category, with 1.7 percent.

Gord Lacey, who operates the TV Shows on DVD Web site, applauds polls such as this, which are being conducted with increasing frequency by studios anxious to minimize their risk in issuing bulky "complete season" boxed sets of TV shows on DVD.

"It's nice that the studios are willing to listen to what consumers want," Lacey said. "Sometimes consumers feel the studios don't listen; this is helping to erase those thoughts."

In a related article, Video Store Magazine also reported that Fox is among the top-5 most prolific studios among TV-shows-on-DVD releasers. Warner, however, took the top spot, based on the combination of studios under their distribution pacts that include BBC, PBS, and HBO.
No one else wanted Greg the Bunny & Remington Steele? :wink:

I'm still holding out hope that one day they will release the Wonder Years. Then again, I bought MSCL from Another Universe, so I'm obviously a sucker!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Oct 23rd 2003, 4:59 pm

I would buy Greg the Bunny. Wonder Years was a good show for sure. I would like to see Witchblade (all seasons) (OK.....both of them) for sale on DVD.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 8:33 pm

Emeralduk wrote:Personally, I'd love so see Charmed finally on DVD, or any format for that matter. It's a very successful show, so I don't understand why there hasn't been more merchandise for it yet. I'm pleased about the books though. :lying:
From tvshowsondvd.com:
After two previous rumors about DVD releases of this show didn't pan out, we are pleased to bring you some REAL, concrete information - direct from the studio - about this title.

As you probably know, TVShowsOnDVD site owner Gord Lacey spent today at the TV DVD Conference in Los Angeles.

During the conference, Paramount had a recorded presentation about their TV-to-DVD properties, and Charmed was mentioned. There was no release timeframe given, but it IS headed to DVD eventually. However, a spokesman from Paramount pointed out to Gord that their home video rights for Charmed don't go into effect until 2005. So there is no possibility of DVD releases for this show prior to that time.

Music issues may still affect this release; we really don't know what the status of that situation is. Stay tuned, though, and we'll continue to keep a close eye on the DVD status of this series.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 24th 2003, 8:59 am

fnordboy wrote:
grim4746 wrote: Picket Fences is somewhere around 13th :cry:
So not fair :( :cry:
Picket Fences was supremely cool until it started to become a parody of itself!

I'd like to see Northern Exposure, and possibly Miami Vice.
Last edited by So-Called Loon on Oct 24th 2003, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 24th 2003, 9:00 am

candygirl wrote:Greg the Bunny! Remington Steele! THE WONDER YEARS! Ahhhhh...
"Ahhh!" you mean. Never saw Greg the Bunny. But Remington Steele?!

Was amusing for a few episodes but got very tedious.

Never understood THE WONDER YEARS popularity in the slightest.
It doesn't, however, come anywhere close to the incredibly horrid: Malcolm in the Middle. I could swear they try their best to make that the most idiotic show on TV. Maybe they want to beat That 70's Show for stupidity.

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Oct 24th 2003, 1:58 pm

So-Called Loon wrote:I'd like to see Northern Exposure, and possibly Miami Vice.
I think I heard somewhere (don't remember where) that Northern Exposure was in the works for DVD release. I loved that show when it was on, but haven't seen it in years. I wonder how it holds up?

You'll never see Miami Vice on DVD. As with WKRP, the music rights are just too expensive.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 24th 2003, 2:12 pm

Jim wrote:You'll never see Miami Vice on DVD. As with WKRP, the music rights are just too expensive.
Jim
Does anyone know if TV shows have changed the way they select music or get the rights to use it so that currently running series won't have this problem? It seems like most tv shows now have a decent chance at becomeing a dvd set so i hope something has changed.
I'm excited because I just found out that "Soap" (classic 70s show with Katherine Helmond)is available on dvd and it's dirt cheap!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2003, 2:25 pm

It's not so much the selection process as it is clearing the rights. With older shows, they cleared the rights to use the songs for the series when they aired and nothing else, because shows weren't released on VHS and DVD didn't exist. That means that if they want to release a show like the Wonder Years or Miami Vice, now they have to back to all of the artists and get clearance again. Of course the artists know that the studio that owns the rights to the show will make a buttload of money from the DVD release, so the singers want a cut of that. The studio is left with the decision to
(1) pay up and absorb the cost, effectively decrease their own profit margin - not likely!
(2) pay up and increase the price which may deter people from buying the set, hence decreasing their own profit margin
(3) replace the music with cheap/generic/unknown songs which may deter people from buying the set, hence decreasing their own profit margin while angering their fans
(4) forget about releasing the set at all

Some shows (like Felicity) only had musical clearance for the music to be played on the show on the original network, so when the show was sold into syndication, they did not have musical clearance for any of the songs.

To avoid these problems with future DVD releases, they now get clearance for the music to air on the show AND for the DVD.

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Oct 24th 2003, 3:39 pm

candygirl wrote: The studio is left with the decision to
(1) pay up and absorb the cost, effectively decrease their own profit margin - not likely!
(2) pay up and increase the price which may deter people from buying the set, hence decreasing their own profit margin
(3) replace the music with cheap/generic/unknown songs which may deter people from buying the set, hence decreasing their own profit margin while angering their fans
(4) forget about releasing the set at all
The studio has a fifth option: release an incomplete set with one or more episodes left out.

A&E released a set of the first season of a series called Profiler. If you read the fine print on the back of the package, there's one episode missing. That's because a particular song and/or music video (I think it was 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police) was a part of the episode's plot. They couldn't replace it with anything else and still have the story make sense, and they couldn't afford to pay the asking price, so they dropped the entire episode.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2003, 3:52 pm

Very true - if a show doesn't have a ton of music (like the aforementioned shows), that is definitely a possiblity too. I guess another option in that case is to get someone to cover the song (ugh!).

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 25th 2003, 7:52 am

Jim wrote:You'll never see Miami Vice on DVD. As with WKRP, the music rights are just too expensive.
Hmmm.
Spose i could have caught it on cable if i'd ever had cable.
I loved the first season where people complained about how dark it was, how little dialog there was, and that there was so much slang jargon that half the audience couldn't tell what they were talking about.

Didn't like when they blew up Sonny's cool car and switched to the Testarossa. Please! It should have been a Lamborghini if they were going modern!

WKRP was a great comedy. Occasionally had some cool serious stuff to say, too.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 25th 2003, 9:15 am

So-Called Loon wrote:
Hmmm.
Spose i could have caught it on cable if i'd ever had cable.
I loved the first season where people complained about how dark it was, how little dialog there was, and that there was so much slang jargon that half the audience couldn't tell what they were talking about.

Didn't like when they blew up Sonny's cool car and switched to the Testarossa. Please! It should have been a Lamborghini if they were going modern!

WKRP was a great comedy. Occasionally had some cool serious stuff to say, too.
Great thread,

I liked Miami Vice. I also miss Sonny's alligator, Elvis.

WKRP was funny and cool on many levels. Some of the funniest episodes were the Thanksgiving Day episode & and the attack of the Communist Tornadoes. The most poignant episode was the one that followed the Who concert in 1979 in which fans were killed. That all the Cincinnati references were pretty cool.

When I lived in Houston in the 80s the impression that most people I met had about Cincinnati actually was based on the show. Given all that was to follow here since (Maplethorpe, Marge Schott, Article XIII and the Riots of 2001), this was not a bad thing.

I would hope that eventually, WKRP and Miami Vice would get released. As MSCL has proved if there is a fan base for a show, companies can make money selling DVDs.

LanceMan