Anyone in the path of Isabel?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
starbug
Lifehead

Anyone in the path of Isabel?

Post by starbug » Sep 18th 2003, 10:25 am

Are there any Lifers in the path of the hurricane?

What's going on where you are?

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 18th 2003, 3:14 pm

Yes, I am.

I live in the suburbs of DC, and Isabel has just started to hit us (around noon EST). It is rather windy and dark and pouring rain. My husband and I moved all of our lawn furniture inside, and anything else that would be likely to blow around.

We love a few miles from Dulles Airport, and this morning, I could still hear the planes taking off and landing. But it looks like they might have canceled some flights, b/c I haven't seen or heard any taking off lately.

The Federal Government closed today, and my company follows their initiative, so I didn't have to work today! Yeah! I took a bath, watched 90210, Dawson's Creek, and now I am watching MSCL. Ah. What a life.

I was watching the Weather Channel, and the OBX are getting slammed, as well as VA Beach and Ocean City, MD. Very scary. There is going to be so much beach erosion. I love the OBX. :cry: The meterologist (does it make me evil that I laughed as some meterologist was standing on the beach somewhere in NC, and almost got blown off his feet? I mean, why is he even still there? Evacuate!) said that VA Beach spent something like $85 million dollars to build up their beaches recently, and in a manner of a few hours, the beaches have been destoyed by the erosion from Isabel. How terrible.

It's not so bad yet here, and luckily, we still have our power. I hope that everyone takes this hurricane seriously, and no one gets hurt.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 18th 2003, 3:23 pm

Megs wrote:I took a bath, watched 90210, Dawson's Creek, and now I am watching MSCL. Ah. What a life.
You know what I have to say about that, don't you? Awesome.

:wink:
The meterologist (does it make me evil that I laughed as some meterologist was standing on the beach somewhere in NC, and almost got blown off his feet? I mean, why is he even still there? Evacuate!)
Hee, I always chuckle evilly when I see someone from the local news who was forced to drive two hours away just to stand in the rain to prove that it IS actually raining two hours away. Sending someone to stand on the beach during Isabel seems especially sadistic - do they think the viewers won't believe it's actually coming unless we see it on our televisions?

Hope you stay safe and dry with running water, electricity, and computer access.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 18th 2003, 3:34 pm

I'm just hoping that you drained and refilled the bathtub after you were done with it... otherwise I think you missed the point the emergency water in the tub idea.... :bathroom:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 19th 2003, 12:33 am

The wind and rain has picked up tremendously in the past few hours. Our windows are rattling terribly. I am kind of freaked out, and my husband keeps laughing at me b/c I keep running into his office every time the wind makes a particularly scary noise (our bedroom is surrounded by huge windows, and it's scary here on the bed!). And I am watching ghost stories on the Travel Channel, which isn't the smartest thing to do right now. :roll:

Good news is that my office is closed again tomorrow, so look forward to seeing a lot more of me on this board! I am already going stir crazy. I have to be sure to get up early enough tomorrow to watch the 90210 and Dawson Creek's re-runs. :wink:

I hope everyone else is doing well during this storm, too. I am so happy that we still have power!
Last edited by Megs on Sep 19th 2003, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 19th 2003, 12:34 am

mglenn wrote:I'm just hoping that you drained and refilled the bathtub after you were done with it... otherwise I think you missed the point the emergency water in the tub idea.... :bathroom:
Ohhhh... I was supposed to fill the bathtub with water and not soak in it with a ton of bubbles? I need to pay more attention to the warnings! :wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 19th 2003, 12:48 am

Megs, stop watching those ghost stories! Put a DVD in and enjoy yourself - maybe have a mini MSCL marathon. Or go read the TWoP recaps for the OC. Something, anything - you'll freak yourself out if you keep watching the ghost stories :shock:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 19th 2003, 12:51 am

candygirl wrote:Megs, stop watching those ghost stories! Put a DVD in and enjoy yourself - maybe have a mini MSCL marathon. Or go read the TWoP recaps for the OC. Something, anything - you'll freak yourself out if you keep watching the ghost stories :shock:
I know I shouldn't, but it's like a train wreck, I can't pull my eyes away or change the channel. And I wonder why I'm freaked. :hammer1:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 19th 2003, 12:54 am

I know - I remember when I was in 7th grade, I went through this phase where I would read scary ghost story type books and scare the s**t out of myself. Not like little kid ghost stories either - adult novels about supernatural crazy stuff. We're talking huddled in bed with the blankets pulled around me, jumping at every noise. Why? I have no idea. Unfortunately, I also have a very vivid imagination so I was imagining the worst possible scenarios. Now I could have completely avoided this by NOT checking these books out from the public library, but I couldn't help it.

:oops:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 19th 2003, 4:48 am

Megs, hope you managed OK and nothing on your house got blown away or damaged.

I like the idea of sitting in a bath full of bubbles watching the world rage outside. I love storms, but I'd draw the line at a hurricane... hope you're OK.

I haven't seen any pictures yet but it sounds fairly dire.

The last proper hurricane that hit the UK was in October 1987. I slept through it but got bonked on the head by some flying debris on the way to school next morning and had to go home and watch the telly....

You might want to find some Stephen King or James Herbert to read... ummm or maybe not. :oops:

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 19th 2003, 9:58 am

starbug wrote:The last proper hurricane that hit the UK was in October 1987.
Of course there have been three since, but those were just plain rude! Consequently, we don't acknowledge them. :wink: :P
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 19th 2003, 11:11 am

Nothingman wrote:
starbug wrote:The last proper hurricane that hit the UK was in October 1987.
Of course there have been three since, but those were just plain rude! Consequently, we don't acknowledge them. :wink: :P
Exactly :D

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Isabel pics

Post by MadMichael » Sep 20th 2003, 5:03 am

...The overhead view is from the space station...

***UPDATE***
At least one of these pics (the ship) is not Isabel. A family member I sent it to saw it discussed on the Weather Channel as an example of false labeling. It's really just a big thunderstorm, a 'wall cloud' typical of storms that produce tornados. That makes me skeptical about the others too, but they are still neat pics.

***UPDATE PART II***
Here is the snopes.com discussion of the fake 'Isabel' pics:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/isabel.asp
I have removed the pics from this post as they are shown at snopes.com.
Still not sure about the overhead shot, either.

***UPDATE PART III***
I have positive confirmation from my nephew who works for NASA that the overhead shot from the space station is "the real McCoy".

Last edited by MadMichael on Sep 22nd 2003, 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 21st 2003, 2:16 pm

Megs wrote:
candygirl wrote:Megs, stop watching those ghost stories! Put a DVD in and enjoy yourself - maybe have a mini MSCL marathon. Or go read the TWoP recaps for the OC. Something, anything - you'll freak yourself out if you keep watching the ghost stories :shock:
I know I shouldn't, but it's like a train wreck, I can't pull my eyes away or change the channel. And I wonder why I'm freaked. :hammer1:
Megs,

I hope you have pulled through okay. I understand your fascination. I was in Houston in '83 when Alicia (Force 3) plowed through. It was eerie just watching the trees bending back and forth, back and forth.

Madmichael,

Thanks for the pics, very scary but fascinating.

LanceMan

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Isabel pics

Post by MadMichael » Sep 21st 2003, 8:07 pm

Please review my earlier post with the pictures, I have received information that at least one of the pics is not Isabel...
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."