Jem is truly outrageous!

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Jem is truly outrageous!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2003, 1:44 am

From tvshowsondvd:
Jem is my name, no one else is the same!

We have some truly outrageous news for Jem fans today, because the Jem Mailing List reports that a 4-disc DVD set is now in-the-works from Rhino for a release in the first half of 2004!

According to the article, the set will include the first 26 episodes from "The Beginning" to "Glitter and Gold", and that "there will be an interview with series creator Christy Marx on the DVD, and they are hoping to have her participate in creating other special features (commentary, etc.)".

They go on to report that "depending on sales, additional season sets could follow on a 3-6 month basis". That is, if The Misfits don't sabotage the plans! Our thanks to the Animation Insider website for relaying this information, and in the process passing on that "series creator Christy Marx has confirmed all news". We also give our thanks to John Kilduff for bringing all this to our attention in the first place.
My younger sister will be sooooooo excited about this!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 15th 2003, 9:11 am

"Gem is my name, no one else is the same, Gem is my name! Gem!"

Awesome. I used to love this show. Thanks for the heads-up!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 15th 2003, 10:17 am

I think this means the apocalypse is upon us. :::runs and hides:::

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Sep 15th 2003, 2:08 pm

I'd like to thank everybody for getting that ridiculous theme song stuck in my head...

Oh yes, I will have my revenge.

:D

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2003, 2:26 pm

I'm sorry, would "Afternoon Delight" have been better?

:P

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 16th 2003, 12:54 pm

fnordboy wrote:I think this means the apocalypse is upon us. :::runs and hides:::
LOL!

Beware the Misfits.

Although I shudder (somewhat) at the thought of Jem on DVD, this is good news for DVDs as a whole. If Jem is on DVD might not be too long until other series come out as well.

I hear that Universal is still being a stick in the mud on their series. No Miami Vice anytime soon for its fans.

LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 16th 2003, 2:22 pm

lance wrote:I hear that Universal is still being a stick in the mud on their series. No Miami Vice anytime soon for its fans.
Isn't this just a rights issue? With music or something? I am not a Miami Vice fan, but I think I remember reading this somewhere.

If that is the issue than even if the set did come out I think it would be too expensive to sell to anyone but the diehards.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 16th 2003, 3:23 pm

fnordboy wrote:
lance wrote:I hear that Universal is still being a stick in the mud on their series. No Miami Vice anytime soon for its fans.
Isn't this just a rights issue? With music or something? I am not a Miami Vice fan, but I think I remember reading this somewhere.

If that is the issue than even if the set did come out I think it would be too expensive to sell to anyone but the diehards.
I have read that Miami Vice and WKRP in Cincinnati are both being held up for rights, courtesy of http://www.tvshowsondvd.com. But I am somewhat skeptical of that explanation. Other shows that have featured extensive music, some from top artists some not, have made it to DVD. Of all the studios out there (Fox, WB, etc)Universal seems, at least to me, to be dragging its collective feet to releasing TV shows on DVD.

As far as Miami Vice goes, I don't have horse in this race, but it would be nice for the die hard fans who are willing to shell out the big bucks to have the opportunity to do so.

LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 16th 2003, 6:24 pm

lance wrote:I have read that Miami Vice and WKRP in Cincinnati are both being held up for rights, courtesy of http://www.tvshowsondvd.com. But I am somewhat skeptical of that explanation. Other shows that have featured extensive music, some from top artists some not, have made it to DVD. Of all the studios out there (Fox, WB, etc)Universal seems, at least to me, to be dragging its collective feet to releasing TV shows on DVD.

As far as Miami Vice goes, I don't have horse in this race, but it would be nice for the die hard fans who are willing to shell out the big bucks to have the opportunity to do so.
I am always somewhat skeptical of any thing out of a studio, but this is a logical explanation. Other shows that have featured extensive music have been released already, like you said, but I think you need to look at each release as a completely seperate issue. It may be easier for certain shows depending on who owns the rights of most of the music that is featured in the show. If Studio X owns Record Label A and B and Show Q (owned by Studio X) has mainly A and B music in it, then it should be easier for Studio X to get the rights issues fixed quickly and cheaply. (hopefully that wasn't too confusing ;) ).

Remember that there have been a number of shows released with altered music, which sucks IMO. Real World S1 IIRC has completely different music in it.

I think eventually these things will work out and with all the newer shows this should never become a problem again since I am sure this is included in contracts from the get go. Atleast is should be!

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

more Jem news! DVDs in May!

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 16th 2004, 3:06 pm

Last Fall we told you that Jem was coming on DVD the first half of 2004.

Rhino has now gotten back to us, and tells us to look for Jem - Seasons 1 and 2 combined together in one package. The truly outrageous release - consisting of the 5-part miniseries that comprised the "first season" and all 21 episodes from the second - will happen in mid-May.

There's no word yet on extras or any other details, but the earlier report from the Jem fansite indicated a 4-disc set that had the above-mentioned 26 episodes, plus commentaries and an an interview with series creator Christy Marx. Stay tuned...we'll be back when the official announcement comes through.
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Jem on DVD - could be sooner than May!

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 16th 2004, 5:42 pm

More news, this time from Lesley on the TrulyOutrageous Jem yahoogroup:

I sent an e-mail to Sam Toles, our contact at Rhino, with the news
story posted at tvshowsondvd.com; I wanted to ask him if he was able to give any "official confirmation" on it. This is what he said:

"All of this is true - with the exception of the "mid-may" part. It
will be sooner than that... but I can't advise on exactly when until it is
announced to the trades."

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Feb 10th 2004, 3:37 pm

Latest on JEM! from tvshowsondvd.com:

Samantha Newark, the speaking voice for Jem/Jerrica, has posted at the TRULY OUTRAGEOUS! JEM message board concerning the "Jem" DVD. She confirmed that she did an interview as a special feature for the "Jem" DVD box set.

Today Rhino formally announced that the street date for Jem: The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons is March 30, 2004. This seems chosen to distribute it at the same time as the two single-disc Transformers: Armada releases that are scheduled to street on the same day.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 10th 2004, 5:24 pm

Ha, I was just about to post the same thing!

If you want to read the whole article, it's here.

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Feb 20th 2004, 3:17 pm

The Cover Art for the JEM dvd has been released!

Check it out at:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1146

I'm a bit disappointed with it. I pictured something like a silvery box with just the Jem logo on it.