Pop-ups

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
starbug
Lifehead

Pop-ups

Post by starbug » Sep 9th 2003, 5:00 am

Hi,
I've noticed recently that when I visit the MSCL.com forum I am getting a bunch of irritating pop-up things trying to make me buy stuff I don't want.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Is there anything the host can do to get rid of them?

It's not the end of the world or anything, but if there's a little box I need to tick to stop this happening I'd like to know...

thanks

S

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Chase Cat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Chase Cat » Sep 9th 2003, 6:13 am

Since MSCL.COM is unsponsered and I haven't experienced any popups, maybe you have some nice spyware (e. g. Gator) on your computer. They are filtering your internet usage and are serving you advertisements that could possibly interesting for you. Try the freeware program "Ad Aware". Download here here.

After you have scanned your machine, the software will help you removing this bugging spies.
Patty to Graham: You always buy the cat nicer food than I do.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 9th 2003, 7:37 am

Chase Cat is correct, there are absolutely no ads on MSCL.com, especially no pop-ups. Check your computer for spyware like Chase Cat wrote.

If you're using Micro$oft Internet Explorer, you should consider switching to Netscape or Mozilla. They feature options to suppress Pop-Ups, Banners and other nasty things. The Mail client in Mozilla 1.5 even filters Spam Mail :-)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 9th 2003, 9:12 am

Thanks guys...

I think there must be something lurking in my PC but since I'm attached to a massive network (I only post from work as I don't have the net at home) I'm hesitant to download any software as it's an offence punishable by a fate worse than death to mess with the system in any way.

I'll contact our helpdesk and see what can be done - I get them on most sites and until recently MSCL.com wasn't affected. I suspected it wasn't anything mike or sab would have done...

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 10th 2003, 10:08 am

Here are some programs that I use for IE as I have to use it for work:

Bayden System's PopupPopper - Freeware popup blocker. Easy to use.

SpyBot Search & Destroy - One of the best spyware removal tools anywhere.

Lavasoft's Ad-aware - Spyware removal program. I use both as this one can nail a few the other can't and vise versa....

IDcide - Cookie blocker

ZoneLab's ZoneAlarm - Free personal firewall.

All of these programs are easy to use and very noninvasive. But my favorite program of all has to be:

TrueSoft's True Launch Bar - A Windows Quick Launch replacement that allows menus and a slew of other features.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 10th 2003, 12:12 pm

I have one nice utility to add to Mike's list:

CrazyBrowser is a nice IE addon, which adds tabbed browsing (multiple IE windows in one interface like Opera and Mozilla), popup filter, useful keyboard shortcuts and Google integration. The only negative thing is you can't use any third-party addons/toolbars for IE.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 10th 2003, 12:16 pm

I got someone from work who knows about this stuff to look at my PC for me... he took away my hotbar (sob!) and my comet cursor, and lectured me for a minute on how signing up for this stuff is bad as it means you give them permission to bombard you with trash.

Then he downloaded ad-aware onto my PC, pressed some buttons, and there aren't any more pop-ups! Hurrah!

If I get a PC at home (it's a plan, at this point) I will definitely be getting that software as it looks pretty cool.