Computer question: changing monitors

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Computer question: changing monitors

Post by Nothingman » Sep 5th 2003, 11:38 am

I'm having a problem at work where we are trying to put a 17" monitor onto a computer that had a 19" monitor. After the Windows XP screen comes up, the monitor shuts down and goes into sleep mode. I can get in to the desktop using safe mode, but I don't know what to change to fix the problem. I've reduced the resolution, and restarted, but it didn't help. This is really frustrating, it shouldn't be this hard. Can anybody help me?
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Computer question: changing monitors

Post by Sascha » Sep 5th 2003, 1:17 pm

The refresh rate is probably too high. Go into Safe Mode and open the box again where you changed the resolution. There should be a button at the bottom titled "Advanced" or something (I have the german edition, so I don't know the english button names). A new window will pop up and one of the tabs should read "Monitor". First, try to change the monitor type - if your monitor is not listed then just change the refresh rate in that drop down box to something around 70 or 75Hz. Modern 17" monitors should be able to handle that, check your users manual for the maximal refresh rate at your current resolution. Some monitors can also display their maximal refresh rate on the on-screen display. (If it's a LCD/TFT monitor, always set it to 60Hz).

Reboot Windows, it should work now.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 8th 2003, 12:27 pm

I got it sorted out. I couldn't change the frequency in safe mode, I had to put the 19" back on to change it. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts